Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lost it in Turn 8 at Willow Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 12:39 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by akinla
Bty. It's amazing and lucky how nothing really happened. My entry speed was somewhere around 135, so I must have been doing about 125 just before loosing it.
But I cant wait till next time. I think I am going to try and go deeper before the turn and try find a straiter line to t9.
What do you guys think?
I think you need some quality instruction before attempting those turns at such high speeds. Going deeper sounds like exactly the wrong way to enter T-8 and setup T-9. That's what got you into trouble in the video. You really need some one with experience to show you the correct lines. What organization are you running with? They should have instructors available and note that we've all been there before.

BTY your speed is irrelevent and hopefully you're not looking down at your Speedo trying to document the moment. Your eyes should be on the horizon and where you want the car to go. Looking down at that point on the track is dangerous as you hopefully learned....
Old 02-02-2008, 12:46 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

I would second the above comment. Get another experienced driver in your car. See how he takes T8/T9 then you take the helm and let him watch from the passenger seat. It is one thing to misjudge a slow turn and quite another to botch a hi speed one. Even just watching videos of other drivers' lines thru those turns can give you alot of perspective towards getting a cleaner, safer, and faster line.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:49 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the video for the first time today, looks like you were way late into the turn touched some marbles and lifted. Probably should have already been tracking out by that point, scrub off at least 25% of your speed, you're going way too fast thru that set of turns right now.
Take an instructor out next time, try out their line at 3/4 speed . You'll be flying thru those turns in no time. Kudos to you for posting the video.
One more thing, if by going deeper you mean a later apex that might be a good thing. If anything it's the more conservative and safe slow in- fast out PCA teaching.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a video of a great driver (Craig Stanton) doing some FAST laps at Big Willow.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJb0I...=Craig+Stanton

BTW, Craig will be on Speed tonight at 5:00 PST -- Koni Challenge Race from Daytona last week -- he did real good.

Last edited by Jack; 02-02-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:31 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Nice...
Is he wearing shorts?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redduck996
Nice...
Is he wearing shorts?

Probably, along with no shoe on his right foot -- he really likes to feel the brakes.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:41 PM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I believe the radar is hard wired and mounted to the mirror.
Not to beat a dead horse, but that's a Valentine One in a slide mount. The wiring on those is an RJ-11 jack. There's NO REASON not to take that thing out!

Second, I'd echo the sentiments of others. Posting video and getting feedback on an incident in a forum is one thing, but using forums as your method of instruction overall is quite another. You have too much car to be trusting that.

--Donnie
Old 02-03-2008, 05:54 AM
akinla
Intermediate

Here is another video of good line at willow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiGqNXdFDsc
Old 02-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Barfly
Racer

Here is another video of good line at willow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiGqNXdFDsc

Yeah, I would say Jack has done that track a few times. It's practically his base camp.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:03 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Sort of alive. This flu is about to kill me. Things have been busy. So many track days, so little time. I have the 48 Hours of Sebring this weekend.

Wish I could get out there. Would love to bring the tractor trailer with some cars. Probably not this year. We are doing a swing up through Barber, VIR, Road Atlanta, Mid-Ohio and the Glen over the next few months. This is in addition to the standard Sebring every 2-3 weeks. You better eat something though, you don't have a lot of excess there....

Originally Posted by mooty
cool, you are alive!!
when is the BBQ at pong's?
if you dont visit, i get no free food.

Quick Reply: Lost it in Turn 8 at Willow Springs