Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 in for some surgery today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:19 PM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 in for some surgery today...

Dropped off my GT3 for some mods today and would like some opinions on an option.

So far I have a purposefully plain GT3, almost no options.

Did the LWFW mod some time ago, great.

On this visit it will get:
* Factory rollbar
* 996 GT3 seats, leather (not my pref but apparently cloth is hard to get now?)
* 6 pt harness
* ECU mod

And the question is about the SharkWerks muffler bypass, which could get done now as well.

I really want to wake this thing up a bit but concerned about crazy loud outside or bad resonance inside. Brochure sounds ideal.

Any actual feedback with this setup appreciated, did try the search function but lots of irrelevant results.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:51 AM
gripet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RQ: Did the sharkwerks bypass this past summer along with several other RLer's. I loved it. Haven't heard any complaints from anyone. It is cheaper than a lot of other exhaust mods and simpler. Alex Ross has a ton of pics if you or your mechanic need help with the bumper. It is sufficiently loud IMO at WOT with the windows down but also quiet on the freeway in cruise, sport button off. I think that you will like it. HST, each exhaust manufacturer has their devotees. goodluck

sharkwerks bypass: $1800
look on a guys face when you smoke him at WOT: worth it
look on your face at 135mph on the freeway entrance ramp in 4th gear at WOT: priceless
Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RQ_GT3
Dropped off my GT3 for some mods today and would like some opinions on an option.

* Factory rollbar
* 6 pt harness
* ECU mod

And the question is about the SharkWerks muffler bypass, which could get done now as well.

I really want to wake this thing up a bit but concerned about crazy loud outside or bad resonance inside. Brochure sounds ideal.

Any actual feedback with this setup appreciated, did try the search function but lots of irrelevant results.

Thanks in advance!

I have posted DB levels of the sharwerks rear delete exhaust - idle, blip, wot are all respectively 15% louder and the change in sound is to a lower pitch level (more of a V8 type of sound).

There is no in-cabin resonance at any rpm.
6th rear at 70mph will pass the wife test.
3rd at 8000rpm will leave you speechless and those on the highway that you just passed when you look in your mirrors will looked totally stunned.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:09 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RQ_GT3

* Factory rollbar
* 6 pt harness
* ECU mod

Thanks in advance!
Check with Mooty on the 996GT3 seats because he has a brand new pair for sale for a good price! Cloth is harder to get though, you are right...

On our exhaust there isn't any resonance issue to worry about since you still have those side mufflers and of course the valves/switch.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:48 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

If my recent experience is anything to go by, the RS half cage can be noisy...

pete
Old 01-25-2008, 03:11 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by excmag
If my recent experience is anything to go by, the RS half cage can be noisy...

pete
hey pete, the RS roll bar won't really work in the GT3 due to the sun roof. We usually put the Tequipment bar in (a single piece) and that isn't noisy at all.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I know. Just drove a Turbo with the sunroof "deleted" with the RS half cage and was shocked by how noisy it was. Apparently, a lot of Florida folk have installed the RS setup and about 75 percent of them come back complaining about the noise. Which prompts me to wonder if Euro RSs with factory-installed half cages are pinging and creaking their way over every undulation, shock, and bump. All the noise comes from the bolt-together joints.

They can't be, can they? Any Euro Rennlisters care to comment?

I will say this: that half cage is the real deal. You can feel the additional rigidity, to the point I think I'd live with the noise. My better half, on the other hand, wasn't amused.

pete
Old 01-25-2008, 03:48 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yeah, I know. Just drove a Turbo with the sunroof "deleted" with the RS half cage and was shocked by how noisy it was. Apparently, a lot of Florida folk have installed the RS setup and about 75 percent of them come back complaining about the noise. Which prompts me to wonder if Euro RSs with factory-installed half cages are pinging and creaking their way over every undulation, shock, and bump. All the noise comes from the bolt-together joints.

I will say this: that half cage is the real deal. You can feel the additional rigidity, to the point I think I'd live with the noise. My better half, on the other hand, wasn't amused.

pete
Hey Pete, so you're saying the Turbo had the RS bar in there or the Tequipment? Weird! Not sure how it was installed but we don't usually see/hear those types of complaints. Or maybe we're more like the Europeans in Cali The supplied hardware isn't the greatest and it could also be the way the plates are in the RS. Most of the one we do we have to weld our own in etc...

You should see Mooty's cage... that sucker aint moving/creaking anywhere
Old 01-25-2008, 04:22 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Turbo had the RS half cage, with its crazy X-bar and everything...

pete
Old 01-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Alex, which bar the 996 or 997 techquipment ... PM me I would like to obtain the latter and get it installed!

- Larry
Old 01-25-2008, 09:01 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pete
I have the RS roll bar (half cage) and luckily no creaks or noise. Wonder if it's the install or the fact that it's bolted to the factory welded plates?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:21 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no creaks, moans or groans with my 1/2 cage, either...excellent added rigidity, will have to have one cut up to fit my GT3 as well as the .....gasp.....ssssssunnnnnrrrroof (he stuttered), moans and creaks like a *****.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Alex, which bar the 996 or 997 techquipment ... PM me I would like to obtain the latter and get it installed!

- Larry
Hey Larry, right back at ya!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:41 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Shark Werks muffler delete. It is not too loud, but also not timid; besides, it uses the sport button so you can turn it down to almost the same sound as the stock non-sport mode; you gotta love that!

I personally unplugged my exhaust valve control wires so that it is always in the sport mode since I hate pressing (and often forget) the sport button every time I get in the car (Porsche really should have set the sport button to default to on IMHO; atleast on the GT cars.

There is no drone at all that I have noticed. Even with it on all the time; the only time it might get a little too loud is at full song, but what a beautiful song it is.

Also, Sharky's install instructions are excellent, and I found this to be a very easy install. Unless you have no mechanical inclination at all, you should be able to do it yourself if you take your time to read and follow the install steps.

Oh, and you also save 16 lbs at the very *** end of the car.

For $1,800 this is a steal. And if you later decide to reflash your ECU (DME), the GIAC is tuned speciafially for the Shark Werks muffler delete and a high flow washable air filter.

I did not do the ECU tune (yet), but I did not notice any loss of power with this mod. In fact, I played a little cat and mouse with a buddy of mine who has a 997 turbo, and I did a pretty good job keeping up with him on the straights; and we live between 5,000 and 6,000 ft. of elevation; thus giving his FI motor an even bigger power advantage over mine.

One other thing; your stock tips bolt right back on to the Shark Werks muffler delete. It looks 100% stock.

I like this piece much better than the stock anchor that comes with the car. Aren't 2 mufflers enough? Why do you need a third, for Christ's sake!

It is just so damn "right on" in my book; I think Sharky nailed it with this mod.

Buy it; install it; drive it; smile...

Last edited by 340Elise; 01-27-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
no creaks, moans or groans with my 1/2 cage, either...excellent added rigidity, will have to have one cut up to fit my GT3 as well as the .....gasp.....ssssssunnnnnrrrroof (he stuttered), moans and creaks like a *****.
I remember that the sunroof on my 2005 997 C2 only started to rattle after actually opening it a few times. So I took out the fuse for the sunroof in my GT3. Sunroof? What sunroof? There is some kind of regtangular shape drawn onto my roof; but I have no idea what it is for???

Seriously though, do you ever wonder the point of these things in the first place? I like cabriolets and targa tops (like my Elise or a C2S cab) very much; they can be quite enjoyable on warm spring days or summer nights. But that little piece of crap slit in the roof that doesn't even open all the way; what is the point? If you want to bring in the sun and stars then you get a cab or a targa; that other thing is a just a worthless, heavy, complexity adding, head room reducing, noise making, price raising, piece of crap option. This is where the Cayman and M Coupe get the most points in my book.

I can't believe my GT3 does not have a sunroof delete option; I'm so angry right now I'm going to go to the garage, find that fricken fuse and smash it with a hammer and then go drive my GT3!!!

I just had an idea; how hard is it to remove the head liner and take the sunroof apart and remove as much of it (besides the outside piece) as possible? The motor must go. Down with sunroofs, down with sunroofs...

Quick Reply: GT3 in for some surgery today...