Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 Sequential Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Shark-GT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael,

Can you comment on the questions offered up on this and hte 6-Speed forum. http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...53#post1631153

Interested in knowing who manufactures the carbon fiber roll cage, if it is available as a half/rear cage, and its cost.

Great looking products.

Originally Posted by jsdkms
Dear Jeff,

The system was developed in conjunction with Porsche Motorsport for 996 Cup Cars; therefore it is a fantastic and very high quality system.

As part of the kit there is a unit that fits to the side of your existing Porsche gearbox which controls the movements on the box. You can fit a taller shift unit like the one in our 997 GT3 or keep the existing Porsche gear shifter and use it as a sequential. Also comes with a gear number indicator for the dash. It is a very effective system which is strong and reliable. Gearshifts are much quicker, plus no more shifting mistakes i.e. 5th to 2nd!

It canbe used on all Porsche 6speed i.e 997, 996, Cayman, Boxster, Cayenne GTS (manual) etc.

The system is £3950 + tax and shipping. If you decide to buy the system then please fit it and try it. If you are not happy with it then please return it complete and we will give you a full refund.

Personally the system is so amazing and you just can’t help but play with it, like being in a race car! We have limited numbers at the moment as it is proving popular for 996 Cup Cars and RS models.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed?

Best Wishes,
Michael.

Michael Wilson

Porsche Performance Products

78-80 Lytham Road
Fulwood
Preston
Lancashire
PR2 3AQ

(T) +44 (0) 844 560 9147
(M) +44 (0) 7891 786548

Email: michael@oakleydesign.eu
Web: http://www.oakleydesign.eu
Old 01-25-2008, 02:19 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course, you were talking about the bolt on system for 7K. I was having a hard time beleiving that the Ricardo could be so cheap. The Ricardo is worth it even at that price.

How do you like your Ricardo? What differences between the Ricardo and the standard Cup sequential?

Dont even get me started on that carbon fiber cage; If this were a good idea, dont you think someone in racing would use one to save weight? The reason no one would use one is because carbon fiber does not deform when subjected to forces beyond the strength of the material, instead, it shatters. Not a good physical property for a roll cage that is supposed to save your life in a crash. What a joke.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

we did try this kind of thing out on a 996 and it was from a hungarian company back in 2004 (I can't remember there name). It looks really similair. Whilst it seemed like fun for a while, remember it's just another way of shifting really and wasn't so fun in traffic (the force you have to apply). The way the GT3 shifts is already so nice that not sure I feel this thing. I can't imagine it being great for the synchos either... I guess if you're prone to mis-shifting at the track then it works. I could see it for a track car.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by db_gt3
Of course, you were talking about the bolt on system for 7K. I was having a hard time beleiving that the Ricardo could be so cheap. The Ricardo is worth it even at that price.

How do you like your Ricardo? What differences between the Ricardo and the standard Cup sequential?
I had the Ricardo 6speed G50 on my 993, it was custom built for Konrad's Le Mans 993 GT2 and was on a different league vs. a Cup gearbox (much more solid to cope with the torque of the turbo).

Compared to the sequential on the 2007 997 Cup, it needs quite more effort and is not as smooth, I would have never been able to drive it on a 24h endurance race, unlike the Cup.. But that had to do with the gearing and synchros inside, as well as it having been built almost 10 years ago. I sold it a few months back to a Rennlister.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:38 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsdkms
Dear Jeff,

The system was developed in conjunction with Porsche Motorsport for 996 Cup Cars; therefore it is a fantastic and very high quality system.

As part of the kit there is a unit that fits to the side of your existing Porsche gearbox which controls the movements on the box. You can fit a taller shift unit like the one in our 997 GT3 or keep the existing Porsche gear shifter and use it as a sequential. Also comes with a gear number indicator for the dash. It is a very effective system which is strong and reliable. Gearshifts are much quicker, plus no more shifting mistakes i.e. 5th to 2nd!

It canbe used on all Porsche 6speed i.e 997, 996, Cayman, Boxster, Cayenne GTS (manual) etc.

The system is £3950 + tax and shipping. If you decide to buy the system then please fit it and try it. If you are not happy with it then please return it complete and we will give you a full refund.

Personally the system is so amazing and you just can’t help but play with it, like being in a race car! We have limited numbers at the moment as it is proving popular for 996 Cup Cars and RS models.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed?

Best Wishes,
Michael.

Michael Wilson

Porsche Performance Products

78-80 Lytham Road
Fulwood
Preston
Lancashire
PR2 3AQ

(T) +44 (0) 844 560 9147
(M) +44 (0) 7891 786548

Email: michael@oakleydesign.eu
Web: http://www.oakleydesign.eu
Reading this just gave me an erie feeling of total mistrust. I would not trust the full refund comment and good luck pursuing this in another country.
Seems desperate also.

The one for the Elise is also not at all popular and I have not heard anything positive about it.

Our slick shifting gearboxes already almost shift themselves anyway.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:15 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

guys, this is a very legitimate company and the products they offer are TOP NOTCH. And as far as the ricardo bit...uhh...no way in HELL would someone want one of those for street duty (leaving the OD product alone in that sector for the most part) and if one wants a sequential on a track, one should be looking into a 997 cup anyhow unless the cashflow is unlimited...the rebuilds on the ricardo are expensive as well...the OD product just does the shifting for you, no rebuilds seem necessary ...

Man, some of you guys are straight up harsh!

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 Sequential Shifter