Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

pegged at 94.6 dB at Seca today

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008 | 12:35 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Default pegged at 94.6 dB at Seca today

stock exhaust with the baffle switch disconnected. I reconnected it and had to stay just under 4k rpm in 4th to keep her quiet. That sucks coasting up to turn 6. What other options are there so I can go wot up that hill? baffle? another person with a GT3 had a 90 degree pipe on his exhaust and also got meatballed so I guess that doesn't work.
forgot to mention this was during a sunny and clear afternoon.
Old 01-22-2008 | 12:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by carrering
stock exhaust with the baffle switch disconnected. I reconnected it and had to stay just under 4k rpm in 4th to keep her quiet. That sucks coasting up to turn 6. What other options are there so I can go wot up that hill? baffle? another person with a GT3 had a 90 degree pipe on his exhaust and also got meatballed so I guess that doesn't work.
with 90 deg elbow AND stuffed air box, i still cannot pass sound even on sunny day.

if you short shift to 4th gear, stay track left, you might make it at WOT if it's sunny.

how wet was it today? see you tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2008 | 12:43 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
with 90 deg elbow AND stuffed air box, i still cannot pass sound even on sunny day.

if you short shift to 4th gear, stay track left, you might make it at WOT if it's sunny.

how wet was it today? see you tomorrow.
it was wet in the morning. i was paddling up a river that used to be the track between 4 and 5. afternoon was sunny however i got nailed by the noise police. you need to take me for a few laps tomorrow...if its not a down pour. oh yeah, they had a roaming sound check today. not sure about tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2008 | 01:15 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i'll be there in 996gt3 to pass sound. hoping it's not so wet.
Old 01-22-2008 | 02:16 AM
SGonzo
Advanced

Originally Posted by carrering
it was wet in the morning. i was paddling up a river that used to be the track between 4 and 5. afternoon was sunny however i got nailed by the noise police. you need to take me for a few laps tomorrow...if its not a down pour. oh yeah, they had a roaming sound check today. not sure about tomorrow.
Roaming sound check! I want to go to LS in my 997GT3 but I have the Sharwerks exhuast bypass and am worried it would be a wasted day if I can't pass the sound police. I figured if it was just turn 4 I could let off the throttle while going up the hill, but if they have a "roaming" sound station it seems like it will be futile to even try and pass the sound station. What is the rule for sound? three strikes and you are out or?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2008 | 05:26 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

why don't you guys put a direct 12v line to both vacuum valves? you can actually put a switch on that line. That will keep the exhaust quiet regardless of throttle position and RPMs. There might be a small change on the power curve at high RPM, but most likely a few Hp.

I just can't justify not driving such a great car at Laguna Seca, Lime Rock and all the other sound challenged venues.
Old 01-22-2008 | 12:23 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

John and all: Are there days that noise is OK a LS? My 996GT3 has Fabspeed headers, sport cats and mufflers.
Old 01-22-2008 | 01:21 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by roberga
John and all: Are there days that noise is OK a LS? My 996GT3 has Fabspeed headers, sport cats and mufflers.

ALMS race...but you may not make the grid
Old 01-22-2008 | 02:05 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

holger,, didn't you at one time run the muffler bypass? I saw your car at DEVEK back in the days of Austin.
Old 01-22-2008 | 02:33 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SGonzo
Roaming sound check! I want to go to LS in my 997GT3 but I have the Sharwerks exhuast bypass and am worried it would be a wasted day if I can't pass the sound police. I figured if it was just turn 4 I could let off the throttle while going up the hill, but if they have a "roaming" sound station it seems like it will be futile to even try and pass the sound station. What is the rule for sound? three strikes and you are out or?

Thanks
With stock 997 GT3 exhaust, and not on sport setting, you will get a meatball from the sound police going uphill out of turn 5. The only way to avoid it is to putt putt out of the corner in 4th gear at low revs, and then downshift to 3rd when you go under the bridge before turn 6.

With an exhuast bypass, you may not even be able to get this technique to work. In fact, if the sound police are "roaming" you will be too noisy in any gear. Hence, there is a very good possibility you will simply be wasting your time if you go to Laguna for a 92 db event. IMHO
Old 01-22-2008 | 02:49 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

are all non-race events limited on sound? If I put my stock cats back on, would that work?
Old 01-22-2008 | 06:30 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by roberga
are all non-race events limited on sound? If I put my stock cats back on, would that work?
None of the stock 996 GT3's appeared to have any 92db noise problems at POC Laguna Seca last August. FWIW
Old 01-22-2008 | 06:43 PM
HooliganX
Racer

Originally Posted by lawjdc
None of the stock 996 GT3's appeared to have any 92db noise problems at POC Laguna Seca last August. FWIW
This is true, I was able to go WOT past the booth in my stock 996 GT3. The stock 997 GT3s were having to lift.
Old 01-22-2008 | 11:41 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SGonzo

Thanks
roaming station is very rare. ususally just at T5.
you can must lift, at the very most, you lose 1.5 seconds.
stuff foam sponge into the air box and use turn down.
Old 01-22-2008 | 11:41 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by HooliganX
This is true, I was able to go WOT past the booth in my stock 996 GT3. The stock 997 GT3s were having to lift.
yes, 996gt3 is fine. i never had prob.

my stock caymans s on the other hand needed turn down to pass sound.

Quick Reply: pegged at 94.6 dB at Seca today