Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

pegged at 94.6 dB at Seca today

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008 | 11:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by roberga
John and all: Are there days that noise is OK a LS? My 996GT3 has Fabspeed headers, sport cats and mufflers.
no, the loudest non pro's are 92dB.

btw, holger stopped driving LS after his straight pipe installation. we got to get more GT3 out there.

we got 2 996gt3, 1 997gt3 and 1 7RS out there today.
Old 01-22-2008 | 11:44 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
why don't you guys put a direct 12v line to both vacuum valves? you can actually put a switch on that line. That will keep the exhaust quiet regardless of throttle position and RPMs. There might be a small change on the power curve at high RPM, but most likely a few Hp.

I just can't justify not driving such a great car at Laguna Seca, Lime Rock and all the other sound challenged venues.
BINGO, that will solve the probl.

i REFUSE to do it as i needed a legitimate excuse to buy a quieter car.
Old 01-23-2008 | 03:41 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by roberga
holger,, didn't you at one time run the muffler bypass? I saw your car at DEVEK back in the days of Austin.
Mooty is right, no more LS for me after the bypass pipes (have never taken them off after installing them).

Also, there have been a couple times at T-hill where they measured sound (why is a mystery to me since there's no one within miles of the track that I'm aware of). They warned the organizers about cars >100db, but didn't send anyone home. They also have a sign since last year on the starter stand that all cars must have mufflers. They'll be the next LS before long...
Old 01-23-2008 | 04:31 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is one spoilsport that lives near THill. Even when you put the track in the middle of nowhere, the few people that are out there figure they deserve quiet in exchange for the isolation. We ran into a lot of that trying to train at low altitude in the USAF.
Old 01-26-2008 | 02:20 AM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

THe DB limit is my reason for running the M3 at LS. It is annoying to lift up the hill. When I was there in November I lifted all day then ran the last to laps WOT and took the meatball (96 db) but had fun seeing what I could do for those two laps.

On Monday (1/21)The White and Orange GT3 had a Fab speed exhaust and added the 90 degree turn aways. He apparently did not pass. I was up above turn 4 watching and I could hear his car over every other car coming down the front straight and though 2 and 3 and 4 and 5. I figured he was toast. It did sound wonderful though. I was told they are using the portable sound check more often at LS because they realize many are lifting up the hill.

I am having my muffler guy make a bolt on, 2 into 1 into a resonator, which will bolt on in place of the factory tips. We think it will work. I will let you know after the 2/25 Laguna event with Speed Ventures.

Is there any evidence confirming that it is better to turn the tips down then to the side? I see both and have heard it is better to turn them down to reduce sound. I am not an engineer so I don't have a clue.
Old 01-26-2008 | 02:47 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Kevinlpl
THe DB limit is my reason for running the M3 at LS. It is annoying to lift up the hill. When I was there in November I lifted all day then ran the last to laps WOT and took the meatball (96 db) but had fun seeing what I could do for those two laps.

On Monday (1/21)The White and Orange GT3 had a Fab speed exhaust and added the 90 degree turn aways. He apparently did not pass. I was up above turn 4 watching and I could hear his car over every other car coming down the front straight and though 2 and 3 and 4 and 5. I figured he was toast. It did sound wonderful though. I was told they are using the portable sound check more often at LS because they realize many are lifting up the hill.

I am having my muffler guy make a bolt on, 2 into 1 into a resonator, which will bolt on in place of the factory tips. We think it will work. I will let you know after the 2/25 Laguna event with Speed Ventures.

Is there any evidence confirming that it is better to turn the tips down then to the side? I see both and have heard it is better to turn them down to reduce sound. I am not an engineer so I don't have a clue.
2/25 is NCRC / SV correct? i will be there in 996
2-1 resonator wont do it. you need the giant box the cup cars use, i do mean GIANT. it's 1/2 the size of your rear bumper.

if you want to use resonator and turn downs you need supertrap at the tip as well.

i have turn downs 90deg bends pointed up, down and to the left, AND i have stuffed up the intake... no go. it is unlikely and 997gt3 will pass 92db without DRASTIC measures.

if you re-route the vacuum line, then you are golden. i think NJGT posted how to do it above.

Quick Reply: pegged at 94.6 dB at Seca today