Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 day at Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:33 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOD must figure the GT3 demographic has money to burn, which maybe true to some extent. But when you can get a mid-week track day at TH for half the price, with more track time than you or your tires/brakes can possibly handle (as mentioned above) this ain't in the cards for me.

But I gotta hand it to them for some marketing creativity....
Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

And it is sponsored by Fremont Porsche, you'd think their contribution would lower the price.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

The past 2 years I was thinking of renting T-hill to do a private GT3 day, but couldn't get a decent date (not July or August and adjacent to another event that we could sign up for if people want to do 2-days). Didn't look into it for this year.

My idea was to do 2 run groups (fast & really fast) with about 20 cars in each and open track the last couple of hours. You could include lunch and custom t-shirts and the cost would be half of what they're charging.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
The past 2 years I was thinking of renting T-hill to do a private GT3 day, but couldn't get a decent date (not July or August and adjacent to another event that we could sign up for if people want to do 2-days). Didn't look into it for this year.

My idea was to do 2 run groups (fast & really fast) with about 20 cars in each and open track the last couple of hours. You could include lunch and custom t-shirts and the cost would be half of what they're charging.
Too large a group....

Keep it small (12-18 cars total) and have open lapping all day -- cost should still be quite reasonable. We can do BW for $375 per car on this basis -- T'hill shouldn't be any more.

Later, most of the P-guys bought Loti, since they are so much more fun to drive on track than those heavy P-cars.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:41 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jack

Later, most of the P-guys bought Loti, since they are so much more fun to drive on track than those heavy P-cars.
Jack, I don't get it; does "more fun" really mean "more slowly"? If so, I get your point. ;p

Count me in for February BW.

-david
Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. . . Later, most of the P-guys bought Loti, since they are so much more fun to drive on track than those heavy P-cars.
Has anyone shown up with a Lotus 2-eleven yet?

-Doug
Old 01-17-2008, 10:23 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Are you going to Laguna on 2/2-3? That's $470 for Sat+Sun.

ps. I couldn't afford the tires or brakes (or physiotherapy afterwards) to cover 300 miles at the track in a DE. I guess if you had a 30 gallon tank, drove at 8/10ths for fuel economy, peed into a hose running out the bottom of the car ... and that's just on Hwy 505 getting to the track.
i already signed up 2/2-3.
i usually need 3 full tanks on track. plus 1.5 tanks to get to/from track.
i dont mind paying fuel but i have issues with track fees when someone can provide cheaper fee for more miles.

but if lots of rennlister plan to do the day with HOD. i'll drive. hanging out with all the crazy nuts is worth the $500.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:23 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjb
HOD must figure the GT3 demographic has money to burn, which maybe true to some extent. But when you can get a mid-week track day at TH for half the price, with more track time than you or your tires/brakes can possibly handle (as mentioned above) this ain't in the cards for me.

But I gotta hand it to them for some marketing creativity....
have some money, maybe.
have money to burn... i dont.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:26 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Too large a group....

Keep it small (12-18 cars total) and have open lapping all day -- cost should still be quite reasonable. We can do BW for $375 per car on this basis -- T'hill shouldn't be any more.
i had a lot of fun when i went to your event jack.
then i drove from BW to thunderhill, must be 600 miles or so that night and did two days at TH ;-)

if you guys move up to bay area, i would get another lotus. not many fast lotus up here. now that TdF Gary B has one, things may change.

btw, did someone say lotus are slow? a 255 cup car was neck to neck with me on the front straight of TH until 120mph before i gained on him. and i sure as hell dont want to be chased by a 255 at infineon.

jack, you got to do infineon. that track is MADE FOR your 255.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:45 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have yet to be challenged on the track by ANY Loti here at MMP... With that said, I think they are great cars. I do want to play tag with an Exige Cup... Hope to see one here next summer...

Now about an "all Gt3" track day - that is worth the pictures alone! Someone please post them!

-B
Old 01-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by db_gt3
Jack, I don't get it; does "more fun" really mean "more slowly"? If so, I get your point. ;p

Count me in for February BW.

-david
David,

Have you gone faster than a 1:57xx in your GT3 at Buttonwillow doing #13CW? If not, you're slower than an Exige S in the hands of a real good driver (not me ) -- new course record for our Lotus group.

And, you're correct, by more fun...I mean more fun. You'd be faster in a Lotus than your GT3 too.

Better hurry on the 25th, it's almost FULL.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:57 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

David,

Have you gone faster than a 1:57xx in your GT3 at Buttonwillow doing #13CW? If not, you're slower than an Exige S in the hands of a real good driver (not me ) -- new course record for our Lotus group.

And, you're correct, by more fun...I mean more fun. You'd be faster in a Lotus than your GT3 too.

Better hurry on the 25th, it's almost FULL.
was that stanton driving?
sheesh. my was 2:07 or at best 206 and i was about to soil myself at that speed.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:12 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
have some money, maybe.
have money to burn... i dont.
Ha, ha...dude, you bought a 6GT3 just for LS
Old 01-18-2008, 02:48 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B

This is ironic b/c I did just that with HOD's help at THILL for $225 a person at 18heads. Mooty was even there. Not sure why David upped the price so much??? Is he bringing along a good sized coaching staff? Its a little steep for my blood and also a helluva drive from LA but I would love to see the pictures from the attendees. Sounds like a great time. I'm all for a private GT3 day at buttowillow. Rented that track several times as well.

-jim
Old 01-18-2008, 02:52 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Too large a group....

Great talking to you today Jack and for sure James and I have to get our tooshes down to Buttonwillow later this year (before it gets to BAKING hot).

Quick Reply: GT3 day at Thunderhill