Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Drove a Z06 Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter:
Very difficult to go wrong with 997 or really any Porsche varient. I personally watched two very hard shunts one a 996 and one a 997 (street cars) and in both cases the driver walked away despite the car having to be craned off. Safety is a huge issue for me as well as reliability and on both points Porsche just cannot be beat.

See you at Winterfest and 48

Christian
Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Once in a while I look at a M3, Z06, Exice Forcefed etc. but as soon as I am instructing a student (I am PCA instructor) I hear what they spend and need to spend to make them work, I am back to the GT3.

Peter
PCA instructor in mustang. you should be kicked out from PCA. shame on you..

just pulling your legs. dont get me wrong, i have seen extremely fast and well driven Z06, stangs (old BOSS cars) and a local Z28 (decked out, i think the rear rims are like 16" steam rollers) and he blows by me like i had my handbrakes on. but his car cost $150k to build! it's just that if you add the TOTAL package price to the car, i think GT3 no longer look so expensive. higher initial cost, however, the base p rice of the car is higher.

i've seen $100K e36m3 in CMod class that's fast as bullet too, but i dont call those as cheap ;-)
Old 01-08-2008, 11:11 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Had a Cup 255 last year.

At 6' 205 lbs it was barely big enough. Sort of felt as though I was pre-loaded into my coffin however.

TRACKCAR states he's 6'4", so neither him nor you (as I recall you're fairly tall and in very good shape) will fit easily, if at all.

And, FWIW it's no match for a GT-3 or TT unless it's a very short and technical track.

Yes, you are right. I keep wishing I could fit in all these cars, but it just won't happen. I actually had a difficult time getting comfy in the Z06, with the seat all the way down and still had to recline back. The 911 accomdates tall people as good as any.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 01-09-2008, 12:42 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Yes, you are right. I keep wishing I could fit in all these cars, but it just won't happen. I actually had a difficult time getting comfy in the Z06, with the seat all the way down and still had to recline back. The 911 accomdates tall people as good as any.
well, if you stop those protein drinks and not bench press 6,000 lbs, you might just fit the Z06
Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

[PCA instructor in mustang. you should be kicked out from PCA. shame on you..

just pulling your legs. dont get me wrong, i have seen extremely fast and well driven Z06, stangs (old BOSS cars) and a local Z28 (decked out, i think the rear rims are like 16" steam rollers) and he blows by me like i had my handbrakes on. but his car cost $150k to build! it's just that if you add the TOTAL package price to the car, i think GT3 no longer look so expensive. higher initial cost, however, the base p rice of the car is higher.

i've seen $100K e36m3 in CMod class that's fast as bullet too, but i dont call those as cheap ;-)]

Working on it, working on it.

Yes, some lesser cars can be made to go fast, but not much, for not that much less money.
It can be fun in a way that we raced our stock commercial truck one time at Francourchamps on time, but I would not describe it as a nice feeling!! Again, not ultimate laptimes, but the feeling is that counts.

I can make the Mustang do GT3 laptimes for 15K but it will just amplify all the handeling problems the car has. Cracked rotors anyone??

And again, the safety and reliability can not be beat as Cristian said... See you in Sebring next week :-)

Even dollar for dollar, I have not decided how to pay for the car, but I might finance a GT3 with a typical auto loan, so you finance the whole deal in one go.
For some buyers it is easier to finance/lease?? the whole car than coming up with the cash to make the adjustments.

Just need to get ready and find one at MSRP.....
And figure out what seats to get...

Now I am off to the shop to pick up the car from its monthly oil and brake fluid change and nut and bolt check visit.
I did crack the windshield at VIR though $200.00 installed, wonder how much it is for a 997 ;-).
Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

[PCA instructor in mustang. you should be kicked out from PCA. shame on you..

i've seen $100K e36m3 in CMod class that's fast as bullet too, but i dont call those as cheap ;-)]

Working on it, working on it.

Yes, some lesser cars can be made to go fast, but not much, for not that much less money.
It can be fun in a way that we raced our stock commercial truck one time at Francourchamps on time, but I would not describe it as a nice feeling!! Again, not ultimate laptimes, but the feeling is that counts.

I can make the Mustang do GT3 laptimes for 15K but it will just amplify all the handeling problems the car has. Cracked rotors anyone??

And again, the safety and reliability can not be beat as Cristian said... See you in Sebring next week :-)

Even dollar for dollar, I have not decided how to pay for the car, but I might finance a GT3 with a typical auto loan, so you finance the whole deal in one go.
For some buyers it is easier to finance/lease?? the whole car than coming up with the cash to make the adjustments.

Just need to get ready and find one at MSRP.....
And figure out what seats to get...

Now I am off to the shop to pick up the car from its monthly oil and brake fluid change and nut and bolt check visit.
I did crack the windshield at VIR though $200.00 installed, wonder how much it is for a 997 ;-).
windshield all said and done is about $900-1100 or so.
start calling every dealer, you may find msrp for slightly used car. very very hard to find new cars now at msrp.

surf here and 6speedonline.com, you may see time to time some low milers for sale.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:19 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
well, if you stop those protein drinks and not bench press 6,000 lbs, you might just fit the Z06
Then who will pick up my car and put it back on the track when I run off?? Gotta stay in shape!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I was at Roebling road in October I think. brought my Ford Dually and 44ft 5th. wheel, Sodi trailer.

Indeed I forgot about the upcoming Nissan. Very impressive articles, and I think the GT-R will be easy to go very, very fast in, but more like the Turbo.

For me it is not the car, 4 wheel drive, even heavier 3800lbs!! and even more nanny tronics with super all wheel drive.

I go to the track to drive the car, not to let the car drive me.
That is the charm of the GT3 and it makes the GT2 less exciting to me.

Peter
Oh yeahhhhhh. Now I remember. My instructor took you in my car. Gotta get a GT3! Since you are set up to trailer and travel, you might should consider a 996 cup car. Bring it up to Roebling and I'll help you test drive it. Forget the Lotus, Z06 etc, you'll never fit...you're a huge dude! Maybe rip the back seat out of a hummer and lower it.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

No, no dedicated track car.

I do not want to HAVE to trailer it for everything that needs to get done to it, plus I have this thing of wanting to drive my track car every day.
Everything else is just a snoose fest, even worse I can answer my phone and end up working when I should be practising my heel and toe.

Tossing it sideways on the way to work is just soo much better than coffee..
Old 01-09-2008, 10:13 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.noblecars.com/gfx/M15/_M15_053_230.jpg??

There are many choices. I like NA Porsche and do not know if I will ever have anything other but this would be fun.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by roberga
http://www.noblecars.com/gfx/M15/_M15_053_230.jpg??

There are many choices. I like NA Porsche and do not know if I will ever have anything other but this would be fun.
i know of two nobles here on track.
they usually DONT finish the day.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:-0-- Mooty, that is one of the many reasons I have the Porsche. Drive 1-8 hours to a track and lap until I throw up and go home. The cars are great.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:16 PM
tiger 6
Advanced

Originally Posted by roberga
:-0-- Mooty, that is one of the many reasons I have the Porsche. Drive 1-8 hours to a track and lap until I throw up and go home. The cars are great.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

[I know of two nobles here on track.
they usually DONT finish the day]

I've seen them, they go home on flat beds + No reps in South Florida.
Anything supercharged or turbo does not seem to like the track in Florida in the summer though. Except for the 996 and 997, they seem fine.

Some of the numbers are tempting with these "kit" cars like the Daytona from Superformance, same thing, no dealers near-by and why would you experiment with 100K when the GT3 is proven? Where do you go when something is not right?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Everybody should stop encouraging Peter to buy a GT3. As you can see in the video below, I can still comfortably pull away while Peter is in his Mustang http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRCiDCAtbdg

If he would have any car that is faster then the Mustang, or lasts longer then 18-20 minutes per session when everything overheats, everybody in the Goldcoast PCA club would have to buy Cup Cars to keep up. The man does not need a faster car.

All kidding aside, it's too bad you hate the 996 GT3 so much, there are quite a few selling high 60ties now where most of the depreciation has already occured. (We've talked about that before)

Ik zie je volgende week op Sebring. Komt Sander ook ?

Quick Reply: Drove a Z06 Today