Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Finding a Porsche Fire Extinguisher?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 PM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Finding a Porsche Fire Extinguisher?

Does any body know of a place or person selling a factory Porsche Fire extinguisher and bracket setup like the one that came on the GT3s? I'd like the Porsche one and not the aftermarket.

Thanks,

Flash
Old 12-02-2007, 11:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,623 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by flash1034
Does any body know of a place or person selling a factory Porsche Fire extinguisher and bracket setup like the one that came on the GT3s? I'd like the Porsche one and not the aftermarket.

Thanks,

Flash
do you want the big one or the little one (both are by porsche oem).
the big one is next to impossible to find and impossible to use really.
the little one is easier to get and you can acutually use it when you need to.
both can be ordered from your local dealer. if they dont know what they are talking about, RUN. they suck.

since you are in SoCal, i suggest you contact arling wong at lucent.

the oem fire extinguishers are really not good if you ever need to use it.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:40 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I looked into going oem too and found it to be not worth it. I ended up going this route and when not needed the ext. clips out and the bracket is not noticable.
Attached Images   
Old 12-02-2007, 11:49 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i use the same. but my bracket is safecraft not BK.
however both safecraft and BK are good in that you can pull the release and have the bottle in your hand with just one hand. the factory little one has a strap. when my car or my body is on fire, i dont have time to deal with possibility of things tangling up (it's held by a velcro strap of sorts) on itself, on the seat, on the velcro strap on my gloves and it' very hard to get the bottle off with one hand when you are on fire.

oh, i know. i HAD to use my bottle on one of my caymans... remember most of us got race gloves on. your fingers dont work as well on delicate straps with gloves on.

the big oem bottle is too bulky and has a "hose" attached. i cannot describe it. no one in there right mind would use that. it should be plumbed into a fires system. it's not really a fire extinguisher as we think of it.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are talking about the Factory Big "Werner", Gert Carnewal has it. I bought one from him once.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
i use the same. but my bracket is safecraft not BK.
however both safecraft and BK are good in that you can pull the release and have the bottle in your hand with just one hand. the factory little one has a strap. when my car or my body is on fire, i dont have time to deal with possibility of things tangling up (it's held by a velcro strap of sorts) on itself, on the seat, on the velcro strap on my gloves and it' very hard to get the bottle off with one hand when you are on fire.

oh, i know. i HAD to use my bottle on one of my caymans... remember most of us got race gloves on. your fingers dont work as well on delicate straps with gloves on.

the big oem bottle is too bulky and has a "hose" attached. i cannot describe it. no one in there right mind would use that. it should be plumbed into a fires system. it's not really a fire extinguisher as we think of it.

John: Do you have your fire extinguisher mounted on the passenger seat or the drivers seat? Just curious - pros and cons to each location.

-Doug
Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996toomey
I looked into going oem too and found it to be not worth it. I ended up going this route and when not needed the ext. clips out and the bracket is not noticable.
So where did you find this set up and what did it cost you?

Trending Topics

Old 12-04-2007, 02:42 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lawjdc
John: Do you have your fire extinguisher mounted on the passenger seat or the drivers seat? Just curious - pros and cons to each location.

-Doug
passenger side.
i can unbuckle, reach over, grab it and use it.
if on passenger side, i buckle, look down, i smash my head on str wheel. i dont plan to remove my helmet if my car is still on track. and i would also have to lift legs to access the bottle. i also sit very close to the str wheel, so it's hard to get my hands onto the bottle.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:44 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by todinlaw
So where did you find this set up and what did it cost you?
pm "sharkster" (alex). but it's sharkwerks. he has the whole set up. it's not cheap. i think bottle and bracket is about $500 or so? it's finished better than OEM too.

the actual maker of bottle is safecraft.
brackets you can choose from safecraft, sharkwerks, and Bryer/Krause (i am certain i butchered the spelling there.)

Quick Reply: Finding a Porsche Fire Extinguisher?