Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Yaw Control v PSM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:01 PM
jmbgt3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yaw Control v PSM?

I am new to this forum and new to the 997 GT3 (took delivery last month). A couple of questions. Everything I read says the GT3 does not have PSM but has yaw control. I'm not real technical but yaw control sure sounds like a stability system countering under/oversteer. So, my question is what does it do and how is it different than PSM.
Second question, I see most list their cars in what I believe is a signature block below their posting. I have been to FAQs and it says you can fill out a signature block in the user profile. I have been there in edit profile and edit options (and have checked the box saying show signature) but I cannot find box in which to list my 'signature'.
Thanks for any help, Jim B
Old 12-02-2007, 01:38 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you need to be a member to get your sig. A couple of years ago, I had my sig, but they recently disabled it for non-members. I paid the membership fees and my sig showed up again.

PSM basically controls understeer and oversteer as you said. The GT/RS doesn't have PSM but does have PASM which controls only the dampers for ride quality. In your case, PASM = yaw control. The next gen GT3 will have PSM and probably will keep the PASM.

Then there's Traction Control which maintains proper power to the wheels.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:47 AM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

There're several threads on the topic. Search...
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...action+control
Old 12-03-2007, 09:57 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

PSM (Stability Management) is yaw control. It prevents excessive oversteer and understeer, keeping the car on the road when the driver exceeds his or her talent in a corner. It works by applying individual brakes, per wheel, as necessary to keep the car from rotating too much or too little. The GT3 does not have it. The GT3 has Traction Control which simply prevents excessive wheelspin. This can help prevent the car from spinning out on a corner if rear tire traction is lost under power. It's good for safety on damp corners with a powerful rear-drive car. The 997 GT3 has TC.

PASM (Active Suspension Management) is totally unrelated. PASM continuously adjusts the stiffness of the dampers to make the suspension harder or softer depending on user preference and road bumpiness.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
jmbgt3
AutoX

SpeedGeek, I agree- PSM is yaw control and other things (and I know the 997 GT3 does not have PSM) and PASM has nothing to do with yaw control. I just went through the owner's manual and there is no mention of yaw control. I am trying to remember where I heard that the GT3 had yaw control- I think it was a couple of Brit car magazines (I will go through old issues and email the magazines if my recall is correct). Thanks for response, Jim B.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:32 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

The GT3 definitely does not have yaw control. The magazines are often wrong about details like that. When Tiff Needel tested the 997 Carrera S, he said that pushing the Sport button lowers the car 10 mm. It does not. A car with PASM is 10 mm lower than normal, but the Sport button does not lower the car. You'll get better info from this board than from the mags.

Quick Reply: Yaw Control v PSM?