Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 vs V8 M3

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:10 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
IIRC, last M3 CSL "wallked" the 996 GT3...
A few years back, when I still owned my MkI GT3, I did a BMW track day at Kyalami in both an M3 and M3CSL. The M3 certainly was good but felt nothing like the GT3. The CSL was fantastic - a big step up from the M3 on the track, and more similar to the GT3. But it too was no GT3. And my current 996 RS easily walks all of them.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It walked in BMW owners wet dreams. IRL, it didn't..
Old 11-28-2007, 10:31 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Euro-$$$
Old 11-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Porsche doesn't build a car that compares with the E92 M3. For that matter, the only other cars in the front-engine, rear-drive, manual-trans, four-seat, two-door category are the G37, 612 Scaglietti, and Mustang. If we double the door count and driven wheels, we can add RS4 and S4. Obviously slim pickins.

We can go on about the 997's inherent superiority, but no matter how you cut it (pardon the pun), you can't fit a bicycle, two people, and lots of stuff inside a 911 without removing both wheels. The E92 M3 is meant to be a fast, comfortable street car with sporting pretensions. For someone who needs the interior space, the M3 is the only player in the market at that price point.
M3 is no longer the only player. GT-R appears to be a good competitor, if not better.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
M3 is no longer the only player. GT-R appears to be a good competitor, if not better.
If you're refering to the Nissan Skyline GT-R and its famous lap around the Nürburgring it has a few question marks regarding it. So I think we'll have to wait for Auto Motor und Sport to confirm its performance.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:37 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted the video mostly just because I thought it was cool, I didn't actually think the M would have much of a chance. I am cross shopping the m3 and the S though and I have to honestly tell you that I change my mind every day. A v8 M3 is a freaky little car, it's gonna rip. I think right now classic lines and exclusivity are the only + for the p-car.

Either car will be my daily.

Oh, what to do.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

M3 is a pig compared with the GT3.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:16 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
GT-R rear seats don't fold down. This is a deal-breaker for anyone looking for a versatile street car. I agree that the GT-R is a competitor to the E92 M3, but at around +400lbs and AWD and forced induction, the driving experience between the two cars is vastly different.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:43 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by CBnAT
I posted the video mostly just because I thought it was cool, I didn't actually think the M would have much of a chance. I am cross shopping the m3 and the S though and I have to honestly tell you that I change my mind every day. A v8 M3 is a freaky little car, it's gonna rip. I think right now classic lines and exclusivity are the only + for the p-car.

Oh, what to do.
Simple. If you need proper rear seats, buy the Beemer. Otherwise buy the Porsche. I have no doubt the M3 is awesome, but the feel of the 911 will put a wider grin on your face. It's also probably more reliable.

That said, the M3 is probably better bang for your buck. But there's just something about how a 911 feels in your hands... And the 997C2S is a particularly good one.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CBnAT

Oh, what to do.
I expect the 997 S to beat the M in every performance comparo. As for exclusivity, the M beats the p-car in that department. Classic lines; that is subjective, but yeah, the p-car should win that one.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:35 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
It's a poor comparison. The M3 should be compared to a C2S, not to a GT3.
or a vw.....
Old 12-05-2007, 05:31 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

M3s have their uses. As was pointed up above you have a ton of utility with a car that drives better than 99 percent of other road legal cars.
Of course the GT3 is better as a performance car. Duh!
My daily driver is an E46 M3 and I am having a blast every time I drive it. And that includes snow. I could never do that with a GT3.

When I used the M3 as a track car I used the interior space as a trailer substitute. I would put 4 track wheels, jack, toolbox, helmet, 2 folding chairs all in the car when going to the track. Porsche drivers would not believe me when I told them that all the stuff laid out on the tarp goes back into the car at the end of the event. And the car was not that slow on the track, either. Not a GT3 but a GT3 would have to be driven properly to walk away from me. My M3 wasn't purely stock. Suspension, brakes and tires were replaced. But completely stock power.

The Audis are nice too but I don't want the Quattro system.
Vettes are great but have less utility than a Porsche.
The Japanese cars in this segment are all turboed and I am not a plumber by trade to make sense of all the hoses in their engine bays. I prefer NA engines.

But on the track the GT3 is a lot more fun and this is why I have it. But if I couldn't afford a GT3 I would stay with the M3 and would still be very happy.

Quick Reply: GT3 vs V8 M3