Default GT3 MkII with DSG & DI....

http://www.autoblog.it/post/11277/po...zioni#continua

and if you don't speak italian:

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...-with-dsg.html

Old 11-22-2007, 12:39 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Analysis from the experts please. Does this seem plausible? Could we see another run of 997 GT3's as '09 models with DI and DSG?

Does this mean that my GT3 is going to take a big resale hit as soon as this news hits?

Stephen
Old 11-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's likely that there will be a second run, although a lot of people seem to be posting 'speculation' as 'inside information'.

My own 'informed' source suggested it was likely, but Porsche have a lot of other new product to introduce first, with staggered launch dates. A GT3 S2 could be 20 months away.

Hard to say what this might do to values. Yes, they will soften, but the economy and consumer confidence are equally important factors.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:09 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Arrow ...

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Does this mean that my GT3 is going to take a big resale hit as soon as this news hits?
I am not sure taking a "big resale hit" but that US$40,000+MSRP on a used RS should come down a bit. I also don't know why this speculation coincides with a lot of RS' for sale at the moment.

I am no expert here, but in the pictures, it looks like a wide-body 997 to me.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:52 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally!
A proper go-fast transmission for the best sportscar!

I'm not sure if DSG is the best needed solution as I thinkg Ferrari's F1 and BMW's SMG are just fine for performance driving.
DSG exists just because it works better as an automatic (leave it in D); a fact I could care less...

not looking anymore for a 997 GT3, will keep my 997S 1 year more!
Old 11-22-2007, 03:41 PM
benjy3
Rennlist Member

I have long yearned for a DSG equiped sports car for freeway traffic use, but recenty I am not so sure. I drove an M5 again recently with an SMG and it is practically unbearable in stop and go traffic, but I also drove a Golf GTI in England with DSG. I am not sure if I will end up being proven wrong, but the DSG, although fairly seamless and much better than the clunky SMG, seems to isolate the driver from the car somehow. Now a stick and a clutch is a fairly crude piece of equipment, but more than the sum of its parts, it seems to draw you into the mechanics and weight + weight transfer of the car. I find with DSG, one loses the connection to the car's mass and weight transfer; especially when cornering. Once a gear is selected (if using the paddles), then the deed is done, in some respects I feel it happens almost too quickly, and once selected there is no turning back. As the driver you are left with no time to adjust as you can with a depressed clutch pedal. Probably DSG is a faster drive overall, but there comes a point driving on the street where that is maybe not the most important factor. For example, a twin turbo 997 with the current regular Auto is surely faster for the average driver than a GT3, but being an average driver myself, I have a much more rewarding driving experience with the manual GT3.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:03 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

The rewards from the "flappy paddles" come at the track if you take full advantage of what they offer, for traffic they are not so good.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

cant wait for the RS!

do you think the color would be the same?

i just want a white one!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:38 PM
SixSpeed
Advanced

They won't have a new GT3 for several years. Not to worry on resale.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:17 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The MkII GT3 will be available in 2009, with orders taking place in late 2008.

More information from this same source:

- 997 GT2 seats are going to be an option in every 911, Boxster, Cayman in 2008
- The PDK (porsche name for their sequential transmission) will be available for every 911.
- No 3.8 in the Mk2 GT3

I believe on this information, based on the GT3 history for the past 8 years:

- 996 Mk1 GT3: 1999, 2000, 2001
- No GT3 in 2002
- 996 Mk2 GT3: 2003, 2004, 2005
- 997 Mk1 GT3: 2006, 2007, 2008
- 997 Mk2 GT3: guess
Old 11-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by benjy3
I have long yearned for a DSG equiped sports car for freeway traffic use, but recenty I am not so sure. I drove an M5 again recently with an SMG and it is practically unbearable in stop and go traffic, but I also drove a Golf GTI in England with DSG. I am not sure if I will end up being proven wrong, but the DSG, although fairly seamless and much better than the clunky SMG, seems to isolate the driver from the car somehow. Now a stick and a clutch is a fairly crude piece of equipment, but more than the sum of its parts, it seems to draw you into the mechanics and weight + weight transfer of the car. I find with DSG, one loses the connection to the car's mass and weight transfer; especially when cornering. Once a gear is selected (if using the paddles), then the deed is done, in some respects I feel it happens almost too quickly, and once selected there is no turning back. As the driver you are left with no time to adjust as you can with a depressed clutch pedal. Probably DSG is a faster drive overall, but there comes a point driving on the street where that is maybe not the most important factor. For example, a twin turbo 997 with the current regular Auto is surely faster for the average driver than a GT3, but being an average driver myself, I have a much more rewarding driving experience with the manual GT3.
+1.

Faster shift time and faster track time are great.

Joy from using the clutch and 6-speed stick is priceless.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:14 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Of course this is plausible -- it was expected by everyone that has watched the 996 GT3 product line evolve from Mk 1 to Mk 2. The Mk 2 has been reported here and elsewhere for a long time. I posted about a year year ago about a PCA seminar where one of the Porsche engineers from Germany explained DFI in the new Cayenne and of course everyone asked "When will it be introduced into the 911 line". He hemmed and hawed and eventually admitted -- of course we will introduce this technology into our cars.

As for resale -- who thinks about that when you are buying a Porsche? This isn't a one of a kind collector car, these are mass-marketed. Supply and demand. If you are buying a Porsche with resale in mind, you should be looking at buying an ultra-low production classic, not a new car - even a GT3RS.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:06 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Did I miss it or is it confirmed that the DSG will be in paddle form?

The reason I ask is I would love to see a version like that in the ALMS GT2 cars...
Old 11-23-2007, 10:14 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

That sound you just heard is the bottom falling out of the over MSRP RS market
Seriously, this sounds very interesting....
Old 11-23-2007, 12:10 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It makes sense. Why not introducing a MkII? It's not like they are ultra rare like a 959....
I just hope that they will offer it in manual as well and not just PDK. I don't like the automatic even the Audi/VW SMG. I don't care they shift faster. Not enough feel back, too detach from the road, weight transfer and the car itself.
I can't stand people who buy a car to speculate. If you want to make money go play somewhere else. It's a car for people who are passionate, they ruined it for everybody else and the dealers love it cause they can sell over MSRP.

Quick Reply: GT3 MkII with DSG & DI....