Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip in AL
Todd, I roll.
I guess it's unanimous; I'll have to wait until I hit the track, but I find it hard to believe that I'm going to be able to press the brake pedal down far enough to allow me to roll on to the throttle!
Philip...
BTW I roll as well...when my car was new I thought WTF this is not going to work, my eyes would get planted in the windshield.. now all is normal and H/T is as it should be.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:01 AM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=MarekN;4767133]I have the exact same experience as 997GT3North.

At first, I was impressed and at the same time concerned that the brake pedal bit almost at the first touch, which was too high to comfortably toe-heel. After driving the car harder for a few thousand km, the pedal now bites lower down and there is no problem whatsoever.

One thing, it also depends on your body height and shoe size. If you are small enough to have knees right under the steering column, then you can literally toe-heel.

If not, with increased height you probably also have a larger shoe size (i.e. wider shoes, unless you wear racing shoes) and therefore you can get by only with rolling your right foot.

I agree that compared to many other cars with sporting aspirations, the GT3 has the pedals set wider than is usual. On the other hand, you don´t have to wear special shoes and can get by with any old shoe you prefer. I always think that is down to the Rohrl factor, as I have never seen him with narrow shoes except in racing videos.

Bottom line, after the break-in period, toe-heeling is bliss in this car.[/QUOTE

I'm now going to wait for the break in period to be over and see how things pan out re. pedal height before I buy any new ones.
I took the PDE masters class in Birmingham a few weeks ago (highly reccomended) and drove a Carrera S with ceramics and the pedals were perfect for h/t. I thought the pedals on the GT3 were just set at different heights than the Carrera but your explanation makes allot more sense.
Not being able to h/t in this car is very frustrating.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Be careful with pedal extensions. If you have a normal width foot you might end up hitting the gas as well as the brake. I have this problem when I drive my wife's GT3 with a pedal extension.
Best
Old 11-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Jewels
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought and installed the petal that we are talking about 6 months ago.
Then I had a very scary experience with hitting the gas and the brake together as Bob suggested.
Make sure what ever you do it works for your foot and dosen't present and unsafe condition. I love the way I can H/T in my race car but have not come up with a good set up on my GT-3 yet. I will try petal adjustment next.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:38 PM
MarekN
Racer

Bob, exsqueeze me! Mrs. Rouleau has a GT3? The US version of Sabine Schmitz?
Old 11-10-2007, 01:39 PM
MarekN
Racer

Sorry, I know Montreal is in Canada.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:29 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have noted, the pedal heights, in conjunction with the grabby brakes, don't work well on the street for heel/toe, however on the track, the pedal arrangement becomes a tool that allows very precise throttle and brake input on the downshift.

I've never driven a car that does heel/toe downshifts as well as this car on the track. After a few laps, the brake pedal becomes perfectly aligned and you can meter in exactly how much throttle and brake you want, it's a magical feeling.

I'd leave it as-is and wait until you're on the track.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:44 PM
lone wolf
Advanced

I'm not sure about the car on the track, or after the break-in period, but it seems like Porsche offset these pedals in this fashion to keep you from 'blipping' on the street for liability or whatever other reasons. you shouldnt have to 'break-in' the brakes in order to heel n toe properly. or drive the car on a track. its never been an issue on the countless other german cars i've owned, porsche and otherwise.....strange.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:08 PM
BKSPN33
Advanced

Default RennLine

It is amazing to me how opinionated everyone is on this topic. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer. Getting optimal performance on the track is all about becoming one with the car. How your petals, seat, wheel, etc. is set up is different for each person and it should be paid attention to. To simply say that the stock setup is perfect is ridiculous.

I found the stock setup on my RS ok for heel/toe (roll) but it wasn't as easy as my previous race car. I installed the RennLine petals and adjusted the hight a bit and it is much better...FOR ME.

Good luck
Old 11-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

OK, I'll chime in. The pedals are perfect for a true heel and toe but not so easy for a "foot roller"unless he has really big feet. Personally, I feel much safer with the entire ball of my foot on the brake pedal, where it is unlikely to slip, and my heel on the gas. This car is much easier than any previous Porsche I have had (without the pedal extender) and easier than a Lotus Elise as well.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:42 AM
MarekN
Racer

Terry, let´s compare. I have a size 12 shoe, 6´4" and I am a roller. There is no way I could physically do it otherwise.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Bigfoot!
Old 04-04-2008, 03:45 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
As others have noted, the pedal heights, in conjunction with the grabby brakes, don't work well on the street for heel/toe, however on the track, the pedal arrangement becomes a tool that allows very precise throttle and brake input on the downshift.

I've never driven a car that does heel/toe downshifts as well as this car on the track. After a few laps, the brake pedal becomes perfectly aligned and you can meter in exactly how much throttle and brake you want, it's a magical feeling.

I'd leave it as-is and wait until you're on the track.
I quoted fc because this is representative of many responses - that it all seems to work on the track.

What I want to know is - does it "go back" when you drive it on the street? Is it only good on the track, with deeper braking and higher engine speeds? Or it the track effectively providing the "break-in" exercise GT3North spoke of?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm a roller as well.

I use a cheater pedal after I missed a couple downshifts. My foot kept slipping off the gas pedal and I wasn't about to forfeit braking for gas.

All is well since then.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:48 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My brake pedal hasn't broken in yet, I guess. I'm at about 2,000 miles, but have not tried the aggressive break-in procedure advocated a page earlier (I would try it, I just haven't had the opportunity). I like to heel /toe and do it constantly to keep in practice for racing. The 3 is tough to h/t for most people, including myself. I'm a roller (size 10 shoes). It's very difficult to get down to the go pedal. One adjustment I've made is to use the top of the brake pedal (not the top edge, but just come at it from a higher elevation and press down on the pedal, rather than in on the pedal, if that makes sense). This works, because the angle of the gas pedal makes it higher the further off the floor it is - so the gas pedal is right there. This is not optimal, but it works, and it's smooth. I am happy for the happy incidence describe above, where my brake pedal eventually settles lower and the brakes loose a little bit of their initial bite. I rarely need to brake aggressively on the street, so I suppose my break-in is taking longer.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Problem