'08 or '09 GT3 Clubsport???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:38 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '08 or '09 GT3 Clubsport???

Hi All,

Just a quick question. I am taking delivery of my GT3 in about 3 or 4 weeks and I have a question that is a little bit of concern to me. If I decide to keep my new GT3 (it must be more fun than my Exige S, I can't see how this would be possible, but everyone in the world who has driven the 997 GT3 seems to think it is God's gift to the automotive world) I do care about the resale value of the car. Based on the '08 production numbers, and since they are supposed to end production in Dec, then I think it is farily reasonable to think that our cars will hold their value well for at least the next six months. Is this a fair assumption, or am I way off. btw, I would not mind losing $10K on the car in 6 months (my MSRP is 109,995); that would be just fine, maybe even $15K.

However, I have this erie feeling that Porsche is going to come out with an MK2 997 GT3 (maybe after a subtle restyle to the 997's) or that they come out with a Clubsport version in the U.S. next year. I mention this Clubsport version because there are 4 guys on a waiting list for the new Clubsport GT3; I looked over my salesman Xcel spradsheet with his allocations and deposits and names. I ask him about it and he tells me that it is just a theory, he does not know for sure. He also had no idea that they are ending production of the GT3's in Dec. Oh, and he has one deposit for the next Porsche supercar (Carrera GT or GT1) for 2010.

Anyway, are we sure that production ends in December, or is it possible that Porsche will decide to announce a GT3 clubsport in the spring for '08 or '09 production?

I just want to hear your thoughts on the chances of this. I know that anything is possible, and why wouldn't Porsche do it if there is a demand?

I just don't want to get this news 2 months after I get my car and it automatically drops in value by $20K on the day of the announcement.

Thanks,

Stephen
Old 11-03-2007, 09:03 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,783 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Hi All,

Just a quick question. I am taking delivery of my GT3 in about 3 or 4 weeks and I have a question that is a little bit of concern to me. If I decide to keep my new GT3 (it must be more fun than my Exige S, I can't see how this would be possible, but everyone in the world who has driven the 997 GT3 seems to think it is God's gift to the automotive world) I do care about the resale value of the car. Based on the '08 production numbers, and since they are supposed to end production in Dec, then I think it is farily reasonable to think that our cars will hold their value well for at least the next six months. Is this a fair assumption, or am I way off. btw, I would not mind losing $10K on the car in 6 months (my MSRP is 109,995); that would be just fine, maybe even $15K.

However, I have this erie feeling that Porsche is going to come out with an MK2 997 GT3 (maybe after a subtle restyle to the 997's) or that they come out with a Clubsport version in the U.S. next year. I mention this Clubsport version because there are 4 guys on a waiting list for the new Clubsport GT3; I looked over my salesman Xcel spradsheet with his allocations and deposits and names. I ask him about it and he tells me that it is just a theory, he does not know for sure. He also had no idea that they are ending production of the GT3's in Dec. Oh, and he has one deposit for the next Porsche supercar (Carrera GT or GT1) for 2010.

Anyway, are we sure that production ends in December, or is it possible that Porsche will decide to announce a GT3 clubsport in the spring for '08 or '09 production?

I just want to hear your thoughts on the chances of this. I know that anything is possible, and why wouldn't Porsche do it if there is a demand?

I just don't want to get this news 2 months after I get my car and it automatically drops in value by $20K on the day of the announcement.

Thanks,

Stephen
btw, from 0 to 70mph, my RS cannot gain on 255 cup. it was fast.
you cannot try to predict what/when the next GT3 is coming out. who knows. you can wait forever. ppl who bought elise, moved to exige only to find that 12 months later exige S is out. same with 240 cup to 255 cup. you can wait forever. buy the 3, drive it and enjoy it. keep it for 5-8 years then who cares about dep'n at that point. if you really cared, buy 996gt3, they wont go much lower.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:11 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, and he has one deposit for the next Porsche supercar (Carrera GT or GT1) for 2010.
I think I know who has that deposit...
Old 11-04-2007, 09:21 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
you can wait forever. buy the 3, drive it and enjoy it.
That is my advice too. Although I'm only 38 and I had an iron health, last December I suddenly feel a huge pain in my belly. I went to hospital to see what was that...and guess what...I stayed there for the next 3 months!!!!! Can you believe it? At lunch I was having a laugh with my office colleagues at an Office party and in the end of that day I was fighting for my life. Just live for today...
Old 11-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Pingo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Clubsport edition has always been available in Europe. I am not sure what you think of when you read Clubsport, but my car is a 2007 997 GT3 Clubsport edition and has a factory roll cage, fire extinguisher, carbon fiber bucket seats in fire retardant material (FIA approved) and 6-point harness.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:49 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pingo
A Clubsport edition has always been available in Europe. I am not sure what you think of when you read Clubsport, but my car is a 2007 997 GT3 Clubsport edition and has a factory roll cage, fire extinguisher, carbon fiber bucket seats in fire retardant material (FIA approved) and 6-point harness.
He's from USA. They don't have ClubSport option there, yet.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Moogle
Race Car

The Clubsport package, factory rollbar/seats/harness/extinguisher will not be available in the USA for the foreseeable future. Many owners choose to add these parts aftermarket though, and with enough attention to detail, you can order all the OEM parts.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:53 PM
340Elise
Banned

Thanks for the replies; I just reread my quick question and realized it was really long and drawn out.

I like the live for the moment comment; I agree totally.

I don't agree with the 7 to 9 year comment; I have found that I have a hard time keeping a car for just 6 months anymore.

So how about production ending in Dec '07. Do we feel relatively confident that this will happen?

I just talked with another salesman at my dealership and he mentioned the weak dollar being the main reason for the reduced inventory. Porsche is telling them that it is because they have more sales worldwide with the introduction of the VIN's for China, but he thinks it is the dollar. My dealer got one special edition Boxster in and it sold quickly; the next '08 Boxster does not come in until March! I Believe they have a total of 3 or 4 Carrera S' for '08. They are not that small of a dealer, although they don't compare to the 'big boys' when it comes to selling Porsches. Don't you think those numbers are a bit ridiculous for '08? They just got in a Turbo Cab that was pre-sold and on the floor for one day; they ony get about 4 turbos for '08 also. This is a severe reduction in allocations. You should see their lot; I have never seen anything like it. They can't even get a Pepper Turbo for a customer.

If there is already a discussion about this then I apologize for bringing it all up again, but it seems like Porsche is significantly cutting allocations for '08. It appears my local dealer is getting less than half what they got last year.

Here I go again with my long, drawn out comments; sorry guys.

Stephen
Old 11-05-2007, 12:02 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,098 Likes on 2,871 Posts

If you only keep your cars for 6 mos (and money is an issue), I'd recommend buying used (maybe 996 GT3).
Old 11-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi All,

.....If I decide to keep my new GT3 (it must be more fun than my Exige S, I can't see how this would be possible, but everyone in the world who has driven the 997 GT3 seems to think it is God's gift to the automotive world)
No...... the Exige S is much more fun to drive on track...
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

340 Elise

If your dealership is the Albuquerque dealership, it is not the value of the dollar that is keeping them from getting sufficient inventory.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:23 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by pranqster
340 Elise

If your dealership is the Albuquerque dealership, it is not the value of the dollar that is keeping them from getting sufficient inventory.
But it has reduced significantly from last year or any years before that. Did you read my comment about the Boxster, when they get the next one?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:25 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack
That is what I think also. I was saying that the GT3 needs to be more fun to drive than the Exige S in order for me to keep it, and I doubt that it will be. But I have read very good things about the GT3.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:29 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack
Yeah...but your tires don't squeeeessshhh in German while cornering
Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 AM
Moogle
Race Car

The exige is better on the track

Quick Reply: '08 or '09 GT3 Clubsport???