Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Drilled Rotors Clogged

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:52 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make sure that if you do use compressed air that you have some sort of mask on to keep you from inhaling the dust. Not good.

And I would only use a drill on the steelies...
Old 10-24-2007, 04:24 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I use a wood skewer at the track. Since I switched to Pagid RS29 Yellows I do not get the clogged deal anymore.

If you do blow out the holes roll up your windows and do not breath and also warn other around the pits.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:06 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after each race session I blow them out with compressed air under the premise that it will help reduce rotor temps.

My rotors last a really long time (fronts 8 race weekends, rears 14 race weekends) - so I am guessing it helps...

Norm
Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a girlfriend once that would come over to my appartment and blow my rotors when ever I asked.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Holes in the rotor must be kept open. On track braking performance will suffer if they are plugged.

Compressed air, a wooden dowl or a power washer all work to clear them. If left too long the material hardens and needs to be poked out with a stick or a screwdriver.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Bob, I hate it when you poke it with a stick ...I have your toe links by the way!
Old 10-28-2007, 03:11 PM
frafoss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess compressed air/nitrogen can also be used to clean the holes. But when I was at the Nürburgring last time, I had a appointment with Ring Racing, which prepares car for a lot of races included VLN, I mentioned that the rotors was clogged. No problem they said, very common especially with race pads, picked up their drill and cleaned all my disc. Thats the way they recommended to clean anyway.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:56 PM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Originally Posted by frafoss
I guess compressed air/nitrogen can also be used to clean the holes. But when I was at the Nürburgring last time, I had a appointment with Ring Racing, which prepares car for a lot of races included VLN, I mentioned that the rotors was clogged. No problem they said, very common especially with race pads, picked up their drill and cleaned all my disc. Thats the way they recommended to clean anyway.
Say hello to Uwe and Meino for me. Were you at their new shop in Boxberg?

I haven't stopped in there yet.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:18 PM
frafoss
Instructor

Originally Posted by hammerwerfer
Say hello to Uwe and Meino for me. Were you at their new shop in Boxberg?

I haven't stopped in there yet.
I was by there workshop in Nürburg. Is Uwe the dark haired guy (with 80's haircut)? I just drove buy to change my brake fluid, but ended up talking with the guys 2-3 hours drinking coffea and talking. Nice guys!!

Some of the guys who went with me met the Ring Racing people at the GP track preparing for a race, 3 weeks ago. They told that they had moved and is now close to Manthey Racing.

I will drop by to check next time. I'll will try to post some pictures from them and Manthey. Incredible, the floors in their workshop are cleaner than my living room....
Old 10-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Ron, poking with a stick is ok. Beating with a stick is not. BTW adding caster has hugely improved turn in with my set up. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Drilled Rotors Clogged