Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Drilled Rotors Clogged

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007 | 09:22 PM
CoGT3
Instructor

Default Drilled Rotors Clogged

I was washing the car this afternoon and noticed multiple holes on the rotors are clogged with what appears to be brake pad material. Is this normal? The brakes and pads are stock and I did my first DE about 2-3 weeks ago.
Thanks for any insight!

PS: I tried search in both 996 and 997 without luck.
Old 10-22-2007 | 09:33 PM
frafoss
Instructor

Completly normal, especially when use race pads but also when using stock brake pads hard. Easy to fix, juste remove the wheel and use a drill to clean the holes.
Old 10-22-2007 | 09:36 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

When I wash my car ater track day, I put a fast stream of water to the rotor surface and that takes out the brake dust from the holes. high pressurized air (or water) works too.
Old 10-22-2007 | 09:51 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

No drill! Use air pressure.

All you'd need is a can of compressed air like you might use to clean camera equipment.
Old 10-22-2007 | 10:04 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Originally Posted by mklaskin
No drill! Use air pressure.

All you'd need is a can of compressed air like you might use to clean camera equipment.
Not sure if compressed air from a can will work since I never tried it, but air from a compressor definitely does the trick. I tend to blow out the drilled rotor openings with compressed air everytime I wash the car. I also use it to blow the excess water out from around the tail lights and other crevices where it likes to hide and drip down later.
Old 10-22-2007 | 10:34 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

The holes in drilled rotors are for weight reduction and to squeeze out water when braking in the wet, so the powder in the holes doesn't hurt anything. Be careful blowing out nooks and crannies with compressed air, you can force moisture into places you don't want it like inside of headlights and talilights causing fogging.
Old 10-22-2007 | 10:48 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

The holes in the rotors allow for heat to escape. I have noticed the pedal going soft when the rotors were clogged, but this was under track/racing conditions.

When I suggested compressed air, I meant compressed nitrogen. Many camera and computer stores carry this. Not ideal, but a good solution in lieu of a nitrogen tank...
Old 10-22-2007 | 11:10 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

I t looks like the "hole" you have circled on the right side of the picture is actually the rotor wear indicator. This is actually solid in the center, so you can blast all day with the air compressor at its still going to look the same When the "hole" disappears and it becomes solid across, it means time for new rotors
Old 10-22-2007 | 11:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use compressed air on mine, but make sure you wear a mask - that stuff feels bad in the old lungs.

And blow out the dust before (not after) washing the car to rinse away the debris.
Old 10-22-2007 | 11:41 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

rmag is correct..those are wear indicators and not vent holes
Old 10-23-2007 | 03:00 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
The holes in drilled rotors are for weight reduction and to squeeze out water when braking in the wet, so the powder in the holes doesn't hurt anything. Be careful blowing out nooks and crannies with compressed air, you can force moisture into places you don't want it like inside of headlights and talilights causing fogging.
Good advice maybe but I've never had a problem and I've been doing it for years on my Porsches. Other makes might not have the same level of sealing and perhaps the air can force moisture into unwanted places.
Old 10-23-2007 | 04:31 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Not so.

Any rotor manufacturer will tell you its important that the piercings are NOT clogged.

'Weight reduction' is a nice joke - have you tried calculating the weight saved? Take the SHW rotors apart and you will see that the structures around the piercings actually add mass to the rotor.

In a perfect world, the rotor designers would have us using the heaviest rotors possible. The more iron in the rotor, the greater the capacity to absorb heat, in braking forward moving energy is turned into heat energy (to keep it simple), so the greater the ability to absorb heat, the more effective the breaking system. Unfortunately this is the very worse place to have weight.

R+C
Old 10-23-2007 | 09:24 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Happens to me after every track event. Just get yourself a $99 Craftsman 3 gallon air compressor, make yourself an "extension" to the air gun nozzle, and blast away (dry). Do it outside and with a mask on to keep the dust out of your nose and lungs. I've never heard of or seen "wear indicators" -- my rotor "holes" go all the way through. Those rotors in the photo don't look very worn to me...

My front rotors, on the other hand, are barely worn but almost "shot" due to the cracks. Still waiting for PFC to come out with a Direct Drive for the rear (fronts are out now).
Old 10-23-2007 | 09:34 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Not so.

Any rotor manufacturer will tell you its important that the piercings are NOT clogged.

'Weight reduction' is a nice joke - have you tried calculating the weight saved? Take the SHW rotors apart and you will see that the structures around the piercings actually add mass to the rotor.

In a perfect world, the rotor designers would have us using the heaviest rotors possible. The more iron in the rotor, the greater the capacity to absorb heat, in braking forward moving energy is turned into heat energy (to keep it simple), so the greater the ability to absorb heat, the more effective the breaking system. Unfortunately this is the very worse place to have weight.

R+C
It is my understanding that the holes and\or slots allow the superheated gasses from the friction pads to quickly escape. The fading sensation comes when the brakes overheat and gasses build up between the rotor and pads...like hydroplaning in a manner of speaking.
Old 10-23-2007 | 09:44 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
I've never heard of or seen "wear indicators" -- my rotor "holes" go all the way through. T
On the Stock GT3 rotors there are one or two "holes" near both the outer and inner rims which are just partial drilled. When the "hole" disappears, your rotors are worn to their limits. Usually rotors will need to be replaced because of cracking well before they wear out.

Quick Reply: Drilled Rotors Clogged