997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is PSE off if sports mode is off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007 | 09:29 PM
DrPeter
Instructor

Default Is PSE off if sports mode is off?

When I start my car is PSE off at all speeds?

(Sometimes it is hard to tell with all that off after 5mph/on over 4k...............)
Old 10-29-2007 | 01:49 AM
NSXTC
Racer

What's PSE?

***Edit*** I take it you mean "Porsche Sports Exhaust" aka Sport button? If it's in Normal mode, it'll opens the flaps after 4K RPM anyways, but you don't get the benefit of revised throttle mapping and revised TC settings as you would with the Sport button on.

One way of finding out is to simply unplug the flapper control valve and you can definitely tell from the difference in exhaust note.

Last edited by NSXTC; 10-29-2007 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2007 | 02:46 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

Are you saying that when I start the car, the sports button is untouched and off, in this situation that the Porsche Sports Exhaust flaps are such that the sound is amplified after 4k rpm?

My initial thought was that when you start the car, it was in quiet mode (the switch un-touched) meaning there is never a change in flaps resulting is a different exhaust note. Then when you depress the Sports switch the engine map advances and the flaps in the exhaust change back-pressure and become louder at 0-5mph and then after 3k RPM's.

Sorry, I came from the days when PSE was easier to figure out. I am beginning to think the GT3's exhaust not comparable to a 997 PSE?

Last edited by DrPeter; 10-30-2007 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2007 | 03:23 AM
SGonzo
Advanced

On the 997GT3 & RS the only thing the sport mode button does is change the exhuast flaps to bypass the side mufflers. I don't believe that it changes throttle map or the TC.
Old 10-29-2007 | 03:46 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Originally Posted by SGonzo
On the 997GT3 & RS the only thing the sport mode button does is change the exhuast flaps to bypass the side mufflers. I don't believe that it changes throttle map or the TC.
Partially correct...
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2007 | 07:25 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

When this button is pressed... torque is raised by up to 25 Nm between 3000 and 4200 rpm... achieved by an additional reduction in exhaust backpressure...
Ah, that would explain why it feels like the throttle is mapped differently. Now I get it. Always remember to
Old 10-29-2007 | 02:16 PM
DrPeter
Instructor

Yes, I agree with all of the above, but what is allowed to happen to the muffler flaps if sport button is off? Do they continue to respond to RPM? It seems like it driving the car.
Old 10-29-2007 | 04:57 PM
TTRob
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrPeter
Yes, I agree with all of the above, but what is allowed to happen to the muffler flaps if sport button is off? Do they continue to respond to RPM? It seems like it driving the car.
They open at higher rpm.. ~4K (if I remember correctly) and up. In sport mode, ~3K and up (with med/heavy throttle). They won't open below 4K in normal mode regardless of throttle position. And, they stay shut at idle.
Old 10-29-2007 | 05:03 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

On my car when you start the car, the flaps are open. Increase speed above idle and they close. With the Spoprt Button pressed the flaps open around 3500. With Sport "off" it is around 4000 when they open. I pulled the plug in the engine compartment and now my flaps are open all the time.
Old 10-29-2007 | 05:31 PM
TTRob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
On my car when you start the car, the flaps are open. Increase speed above idle and they close. With the Spoprt Button pressed the flaps open around 3500. With Sport "off" it is around 4000 when they open. I pulled the plug in the engine compartment and now my flaps are open all the time.
When I start my car (sport off), the flaps are open momentarily until vacuum is available, then they shut. If I hit the sport button (car idling), they open and exhaust noise increases. If I hit the throttle, they close.
Old 10-30-2007 | 03:38 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
On my car when you start the car, the flaps are open. Increase speed above idle and they close. With the Sport Button pressed the flaps open around 3500. With Sport "off" it is around 4000 when they open. I pulled the plug in the engine compartment and now my flaps are open all the time.
OK that seems consistant with my experience. For some reason I assumed that the flaps would be in a quiet position with the switch off. Obviously that is not the case,

Thanx

Quick Reply: Is PSE off if sports mode is off?