Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Which Seats to install in 997 GT3 ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by George3
The long answer is, yes you can still keep the 3-point seat belts in the car. I did. I wrap them behind the seats and plug them back into the female end. This way, the lap belt is out of the way, and the seat belt "dinger" doesn't ring when I'm using the harnesses.

Further, the 6-point harnesses are not street legal in Pennsylvania. So, if you want to drive your car on the street and the track, keep the stock belts and you're covered.
A comment and a question. Comment, on the Schroth belt you can order just the 3/2 Hans Harnes from them the Porsche belt is the same as the Schroth profi II. they will shell you just the shoulder portion for just over $100.00 I did this because i occasionally share my car with a driver who does not use Hans.

Question. When you routed your stock belt you routed it outside the seat. I was going to install my running the stock belt in the outer harness opening. Does the blet hold you in the seat when you leave it outside the seat?
Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
bear with my iPhone here @ airport

Doug ur taller than me so seat us cluser to bar thus I don't think u would be able to push harness right next to each other. But I think 3" may be too far apart. How far the strap are depend in how far ur seat is from bar. Hans website has diagram. . .

John: I found in the Hans guide that the straps should have 3" separation max. I will fool around with it and see if having the straps together feels better than 3" apart.

My belts are the same blue Schroths that Jim Bacus has posted photos of. I do not run the stock belts through the holes in the seats, however. I saw a photo from the Porsche techequipment literature and the stock belts did not go through the holes in the seats, so that is how I set mine up. I can PM photos if anyone is interested. (Rennlist knows I'm a member but not when it comes to uploading photos)
Old 01-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

BTW where did you source your techquipment roll bar from?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
John: I found in the Hans guide that the straps should have 3" separation max. I will fool around with it and see if having the straps together feels better than 3" apart.

My belts are the same blue Schroths that Jim Bacus has posted photos of. I do not run the stock belts through the holes in the seats, however. I saw a photo from the Porsche techequipment literature and the stock belts did not go through the holes in the seats, so that is how I set mine up. I can PM photos if anyone is interested. (Rennlist knows I'm a member but not when it comes to uploading photos)
my harness are very close and comfy, do not fall off my shoulders... but remember i have narrow shoulders.

i do route my oem belt through the hole. most ppl find the belt cut right into their neck, i dont. again maybe b/c of my narrow torso.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

is that the 996 bar or the 997 bar in your car?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:25 AM
peterC4C
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after much thought.

I've ordered

Sparco DTM
Schroth profi II Harness
Tequipment bar

Can't wait till everything is here.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC4C
after much thought.

I've ordered

Sparco DTM
Schroth profi II Harness
Tequipment bar

Can't wait till everything is here.
excellent. I ordered my seats and bar last November. I have been plunking around on this forum getting the facts and figure in my head because i am going to do my own install. Today I just received my order of my Schroth profi II belts from Suncost and the only down side is that they expire in 2012 instead of 2013. If I would have ordered them from the MFG rep rather than Porsche i would have gotten another year out of it. That is why i waited till 08 to order the belts but it did not work out that way. You might ask what the expiration date is on your belts.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:12 PM
peterC4C
Instructor

Originally Posted by todinlaw
excellent. I ordered my seats and bar last November. I have been plunking around on this forum getting the facts and figure in my head because i am going to do my own install. Today I just received my order of my Schroth profi II belts from Suncost and the only down side is that they expire in 2012 instead of 2013. If I would have ordered them from the MFG rep rather than Porsche i would have gotten another year out of it. That is why i waited till 08 to order the belts but it did not work out that way. You might ask what the expiration date is on your belts.
There is expiration dates on the belts? Please educate me!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:55 PM
340Elise
Banned

Absolutely, they will spoil over time and become unedible. Always chech the expiration.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:46 AM
peterC4C
Instructor

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Absolutely, they will spoil over time and become unedible. Always chech the expiration.
Damn... I did'nt check the one I ate yesterday.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:45 PM
bprzekop
Intermediate

Default 997 GT3 Seats

I believe the new carbon fiber sport seats which "debuted" on the new GT2 will be available for ANY model Porsche shortly. These seats were featured in two display cars at Rennsport Reunion at Daytona in February, the GT2 of course, and a Cayman. Unlike the previous gen seats, these have a folding rear (altho not adjustable) so you can get in rear of 911's more easily, and have side airbags for safety. I believe these seats will be in the $3K range, but of course Porsche dealers will have actual pricing once available. FYI, these seats are already shown as an option on the 997 turbo ($1575 additional cost) if you go to the Porsche website to build a car, but these seats are not shown as an option for a GT3, which could simply mean Porsche has not updated the website (why would they be optional on turbo and not a GT3??) Or it may mean that the GT3's are no longer being built? I believe GT3 RS production is over, right? Anyway, the folks at the Porsche pavillion at Rennsport assured me the seats could be put into any Porsche as an after market addition, and if the add on cost is 1575 for a turbo, one would think they are in the 3K range purchased outright.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

As you point out they are already available on the 911 and the Cayman as well as the GT2.

Sadly I dont think the option cost is any reflection of the actual "spares" cost; after all the CS seats for the GT3 were a 'no cost' option on the RoW GT3's

they could be anywhere between $3k to $9k each
Old 01-16-2008, 08:41 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

5 years from the date of mfg stamped on the belts, my belts expire on 2012. It is assumed that they degrade over time. UV and abrasion.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:10 AM
jsdkms
Advanced

Went with Sparco DTM seats - Very pleased!

Quick Reply: Which Seats to install in 997 GT3 ??