Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone uses the GT3 as a Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:58 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use mine for everything...morning coffee run, groceries, cleaners, take-out food, even fit my golf bag (yeah with the roll cage and all), and of course track it every now and then. Just like sex. Can't get enough!
Old 10-14-2007, 06:27 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
I use mine for everything...morning coffee run, groceries, cleaners, take-out food, even fit my golf bag (yeah with the roll cage and all), and of course track it every now and then. Just like sex. Can't get enough!
I don't get mine until Dec, but I plan on using it as a DD. Currently I use my Exige S as a DD and have no problems with it whatsoever. I'm pretty sure if I can put up with the Lotus, then GT3 will be a luxary ride which will be easy to get in and out of, but still give me that race car sensation.

I can't imagine not using two of the most fun to drive cars in the world as DD's. Why wouldn't you want to have fun every time you get into a car?

However, I live in a city without much traffic, even rush hour allows me alot of enjoyable movement. If I lived in a place like LA, and had to commute through that kind of traffic everyday, then a GT3 or Exige would be a waste; unless of course you are a poseur, then a Orange Exige S or a Green GT3 RS should mostly satisfy your extrovert tendancies.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:30 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Why wouldn't you want to have fun every time you get into a car?

Agree with that ^^^

However, I live in a city without much traffic, even rush hour allows me alot of enjoyable movement. If I lived in a place like LA, and had to commute through that kind of traffic everyday, then a GT3 or Exige would be a waste; unless of course you are a poseur, then a Orange Exige S or a Green GT3 RS should mostly satisfy your extrovert tendancies.
I would not say that metropolitan exotic/performance car drivers are poseurs...just because we do not live out in the boonies and have to put up with some traffic to get to our favorite stretches of road or to the track or even work on a daily basis does not qualify us as such. (most of us anyway )
Old 10-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 541 Posts

I bet the car is a great DD for the typical US city. The clutch is relatively light, the gearbox easy to shift. It's not too loud with the sport button "off" and I have done 6+ hour drives without much problems with the seats.

The only real killer for for this car are the speed bumps here in Europe. People get anoyed when you slow down and take them at an angle. If course they dissappear in the rearwiew mirror quickly thereafter. The other problem is that the radio is useless once you hit 100 mph+, but that's less of a problem in the US. I actually found no problems with the car in the rain either - as long as you slow down appropriately.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:00 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default daily driver

I've been using the GT3 as a daily driver since 4/07 when I took delivery of the car. I have 11,000 miles (mixed track and driving). Absolutely no problems. No squeaks, no rattles, no oil leaks. As far as front lip - just purchase two extra. Use one for daily driving, one for back up when the daily driver one gets worn, and then have a cup car spoiler for the track. Get spray paint and just lightly sand and repaint as necessary. Plan on using snow tires for the winter here in NJ. All that weight in the rear should be no problem for snow. Enjoy!
Old 10-14-2007, 04:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,792 Likes on 2,373 Posts

I don't get mine until Dec, but I plan on using it as a DD. Currently I use my Exige S as a DD and have no problems with it whatsoever. I'm pretty sure if I can put up with the Lotus, then GT3 will be a luxary ride which will be easy to get in and out of, but still give me that race car sensation.

I can't imagine not using two of the most fun to drive cars in the world as DD's. Why wouldn't you want to have fun every time you get into a car?

I had exige and re and live around SF with traffic like LA.
but I do my best to tail gate and scare other drivers so i would not be seen as poseurs LOL
Old 10-14-2007, 06:37 PM
porkernut
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup use mine daily, absolutely no more compromises than a standard 997, bar lack of rear seats ( which I don't need) & the odd grounding incident, but you can't see the scrapes on the front splitter unless you lay on your back in the road at the front of the car, which I don't because it rarely stands still....
GT3's are for driving............ EVERY DAY!!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 09:23 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

went to get italian take out last nite. made sure the containers were sealed, carton was level, covered seats, etc

this morning noticed greasy, oily sauce all over alcantera seat!

wiped off with wet towel in less than minute. good as new. this car amazes me in different ways every day.

unless you need auto trans this is the ultimate DD.

ps. ive started listening to cd's on the upgraded stereo and the sound is very good.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:41 AM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you getting your car from P of ABQ? I will getting one as well, right around that time, possibly January, possibly December.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:04 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

As someone who has daily driven every sports car I've ever owned, the biggest problem with daily driving a fast car is that you grow so accustomed to the performance and handling that you almost become numb to it. Now that I've bought myself an SUV, the feel of the 997S is just staggering compared to the Land Cruiser. Prior to that, I was thinking that either my tires were wearing down or there was something wrong with my suspension. I simply was used to the car to the point that it didn't feel nearly as sharp.

Quick Reply: Anyone uses the GT3 as a Daily Driver?