Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Mark up on '07 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark up on '07 GT3

So what is a fair mark up for a '07 GT3 with under 5000 miles?

Should they go for over sticker? Below sticker?

I know it all depends on the options, and how rare they are.

Just trying to get an over all feel on what 'we' think it should be.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

most of the CA cars i saw with less than 5k miles are at or slightly above msrp still.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:29 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It won't sell at MSRP with some miles. Trust me. An authorized dealer could probably get away with it.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:35 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

So far many that are advertised by 'dealers' are low mileage any where between 3000 and 5000 miles and they are over MSRP.
When I initially passed on one, I could have had it a tad below MSRP.
To ask over sticker for a car that has a few thousand miles on it, I just don't know how they justify it.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SrfCity
It won't sell at MSRP with some miles. Trust me. An authorized dealer could probably get away with it.

pls provide leads if you can find cars for under msrp with circa 5k miles in CA.
i'll have many buyers looking for them.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:26 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

I know for a fact the LA dealers are paying 10k back of sticker or more for used GT3's with less than 5k miles...the retail market for low mileage GT3's is slighty below MSRP.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 PM
DanP
Instructor

Hmm, just went through this exercise, not a lot of options once you contact the many "sellers".

As of last week the mark up on used (what else) across the nation was still 15 - 25, mileage up to 3k or so.

Talking of course about GT3's, not RS.

Mine arrived a few days ago so I'm in the happy place of enjoying my new car and not thinking about its relative value.

As unhappy I am about paying over sticker, I guess the market is what the market is and there is too much goodness in this car to pass up. Just a subjective opinion of course.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

what's wrong with buying the car at or below MSRP outside California and shipping it here for $1,000 or less?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:52 PM
DanP
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
what's wrong with buying the car at or below MSRP outside California and shipping it here for $1,000 or less?
My point is that while I was shopping as recent as 2 weeks ago I could not find a GT3 nationwide for anywhere under MSRP.

I ended up ordering one out of state and paying for shipping.

What am I missing, are GT3's today being sold below MSRP and I just could not find them?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Nothing is wrong with that...on any low production you need to search the entire country to find he best prices. There are used GT3's available for under MSRP...very rarely do I buy a car in Los Angeles.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
pls provide leads if you can find cars for under msrp with circa 5k miles in CA.
i'll have many buyers looking for them.
I threw mine out there with an MSRP and nothing serious. Ceramics, blk/blk nicely equipped. Just wanted to see what would happen? So, not unless it's $5 - 10K+ under then fuggetaboutit. Like I said maybe a dealer could pull off a used car with miles at/near or slightly above MSRP.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:31 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what's optioned on the car will also dictate the amount you can markup a car. A low optioned car can command more of a markup than a high optioned car.

Why? People looking for a GT3 REALLY want a GT3 but are trying to get it at the lowest price. Example: A fully/high optioned car is already up there in price. So even if you were to mark up such car $5K, you're at least $10K over a lower optioned car with the same $5K markup. So the lower optioned car can then be marked up to $7K and still be significantly lower priced than the higher optioned car. Buyers will lean towards the lower priced car regardless of option in the secondary market simply because it seems like a better value. And remember, they want one bad!
Old 10-11-2007, 12:37 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

srfcity, is your car still for sale?
if so, list price and options.

many of you say you can find or know cars below msrp or at msrp. WHO CAN ACTUALLY LOCATE A REAL CAR AT THAT PRICE TODAY. next week next month doesn't count. these cars will continue to drop prices EVERY DAY.

my group has bought 3 used GT3, all used slightly, two bought at msrp and one at 4k below (that was a deal among friends).

now i see a LOT of cars selling at msrp+tax the original owner paid (meaning i have to pay my sales tax and also reimburse original owner's tax)+msrp on whatever mods he put on. that is not called msrp in my mind. msrp to me means i pay what the widow stickers says. i am not going to reimburse you for the tax you have paid.

furthermore many posters seem to state there are many choices at msrp out there, if there are many choices, then in theory i can choose a car with right color and option to my liking... well not so.

of course this can and would change by november, december, jan etc. but i am talking about the market TODAY, right now. 845pm PST, 10/10/07
Old 10-11-2007, 12:39 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NSXTC
I think what's optioned on the car will also dictate the amount you can markup a car. A low optioned car can command more of a markup than a high optioned car.

Why? People looking for a GT3 REALLY want a GT3 but are trying to get it at the lowest price. Example: A fully/high optioned car is already up there in price. So even if you were to mark up such car $5K, you're at least $10K over a lower optioned car with the same $5K markup. So the lower optioned car can then be marked up to $7K and still be significantly lower priced than the higher optioned car. Buyers will lean towards the lower priced car regardless of option in the secondary market simply because it seems like a better value. And remember, they want one bad!
i agree.
maybe that's why i can't find what i want.
i prefer very little option, none would be best.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:46 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NSXTC

while i do understand what you are saying, i don't agree. based on personal experience and speaking to others. your statement is the orthodoxy on this board and i respect that. but when i speak to others (dealers and buyers) the RS's especially are changing hands once or twice and landing with very well-heeled collectors.

these fellows will not treat them as Mooty does, and when they drive them they like touches like carbon and stitching. the heavily loaded ones are getting the BIG BUCKS because their owner doesn't watch every dollar and they are going to stud immediately and will see no more than 2-3000 mi/yr or be traded in a year or two for the next must-have.

Quick Reply: Mark up on '07 GT3