Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Why is PCCB a "must have" option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007 | 01:07 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by marky522
One of the main reasons everyone is saying that the PCCB's have less pedal travel is because when you lift off the gas the brakes pre-load just to give you that feeling.

Mark
HUH?
Old 10-06-2007 | 01:16 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
HUH?
+1...Huh?
Old 10-06-2007 | 04:08 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Understood. But it sure felt different. The PCCB seems to haul you down right now and the iron took its time. Relatively speaking, of course. The stock iron setup on the GT3 will blow away most other street cars.

It was interesting to note that the brakes felt very different to two owners who swapped cars for the same course. What exactly made them feel so different is still a bit uncertain at this point, I suppose.

Cheers,
Have a look at some of the graphs which are avaialble for the differnt pads available. These show temperature against (what we will call retardive potential). Some pads need to vwearm up more before they achieve their maximum retardive potential, other pads are almost 'instant on'.

When you swapped cars, you also swapped pad material, or more accurately (as you could potentially have had the same pads) you changed to a different interaction between pad, pad deposit and disc.

The very first PCCBs available (almost certainly never reached the US, I think they were scheduled for replacement prior to the IAA 1999 when the product was launched) did have a marginal superiority to the very best iron rotors, but they were very noisy (think of taking a sander to the cut end of a steel cable), fragile and had an extremely short working life.

If you have pads with an 'instant on' characteristic, they will take a little adjusting to.

R+C
Old 10-06-2007 | 04:18 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by H20NOO
PCCB's have much better initial bite and require less pedal effort to acheive the same braking effect. You do have to adjust your braking effort around town but it's just a matter of acclimation. If you've ever driven a new car with an overboosted brake system you know what I mean.

MC
Seriously, you do have to make sure you are comparing like with like. If you want the 'instant on' effect, we can get that with iron rotors. Its just that PAG decided not to go down that path with their stock cars.

The PCCBs, which have not had as much spent on their integration testing as they should have had, have a digital tendency as implemented by PAG. In some respects it suits the PCCB branding/marketing effort.

R+C
Old 10-06-2007 | 08:48 AM
marky522
Drifting

I cant remember the exact details, and i dont have that book in front of me right now, but when you lift the throttle the car pre-loads the brakes, gets the pads right up against the rotors so it takes minimal effort to start stopping the car. I believe this is PCCB only, i will try and find my book to give the Porsche wording.

Mark
Old 10-06-2007 | 06:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I cant remember the exact details, and i dont have that book in front of me right now, but when you lift the throttle the car pre-loads the brakes, gets the pads right up against the rotors so it takes minimal effort to start stopping the car. I believe this is PCCB only, i will try and find my book to give the Porsche wording.

Mark
I don't think that's a PCCB feature. I think it's a feature of certain models, regardless of brake system...
Old 10-06-2007 | 06:50 PM
marky522
Drifting

ok I asked another tech, I had my systems crossed, i am still unsure if the GT3 had it, its a PSM 2.1 or PCM plus feature, mainly for 4wd cars. I need to find out if it crossed into the GT3... Gotta dig out that intro book...
Mark
Old 10-07-2007 | 08:58 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

PCCB's are only a "must have" if you must have them.

I didn't want them, & with over 13,000 miles now, I'd say that I really didn't need them. I'm still very happy with the steel brakes.
Old 10-07-2007 | 09:44 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

After a couple of 300km/hr to 100km/hr braking events on the German Autobahn I felt some remorse about not having ordered PCCBs. Should I have mortgaged my first born to pay for the PCCBs?

I just took the car to the track for the first time last Friday (a very technical one with lots of braking I might have to add) and the verdict is that the standard steel brakes felt as strong after 15 laps as after the first one - and that meant threshhold braking into virtually every corner. No remorse for having spent the money on Euro delivery instead.
Old 10-07-2007 | 11:05 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by leif997
I have steel on the 7 GT3 and PCCB's on the RS....if I drive them back to back; steel first, when I go to the RS, I almost knock my dental fillings out; they are so grabby and very little pedal travel...heel/toe is an issue as a result and I may get one of those rennline padded pedals to compensate....love them both but it will take some time to get used to the ceramics under heavy braking...just have not had enough time to play with it that much.
leif997,

the sensation you described of the ceramics having:
1) very little pedal travel
2) very grabby
3) difficult to heal toe

All of these will go away once you have worn off a little bit of the outter layer of the ceramics. The way you described them above is exactly how I described them until I tracked them for the first time. In April at Limerock when it was cold and wet I had already put 2000miles on the car and it was my first day with the car. On the forth session after my confidence was good with the car I then decided to take it faster into bigben - a few things happened:
1) my foot went to the floor - I now know it to be green fade
2) the brake pedal engagement point forever moved about 1inch lower (this freaked me out and I brought it to the dealer and they didn't believe me)

So,

Here is what I think now.
When the pccbs first arrive they have a ruff surface that when it comes into contact with the pads causes a very abrupt and high engagement point.
Once enough heat / force is applied to the new rotors, this surface is sanded off and now the thermal properties of the pads and rotors will do what they ere designed to do.

And what happens is:
1) heal toe is now easy
2) the brakes are way easier to moderate

Last edited by 997gt3north; 10-07-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2007 | 05:11 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
leif997,

the sensation you described of the ceramics having:
1) very little pedal travel
2) very grabby
3) difficult to heal toe

All of these will go away once you have worn off a little bit of the outter layer of the ceramics. The way yu described them above is exactly how I described them until I tracked them for the first time. In April at Limerock when it was cold and wet I had already put 2000miles on the car and it was my first day with the car. On the forth session after my confidence was good with the car I then decided to take it faster into bigbed - a few things happened:
1) my foot went to the floor - I now know it to be green fade
2) the brake pedal engagement point forever moved about 1inch lower (this freaked me out and I brought it to the dealer and they didn't believe me)

So,

Here is what I think now.
When the pccbs first arrive they have a ruff surface that when it cmes into contact with the pads causes a very abrupt and high engagement point.
Once enough heat / force is applied to the new rotors, this surface is sanded off and now the thermal properties of the pads and rotors will do what they ere designed to do.

And what happens is:
1) heal toe is now easy
2) the brakes areway easier to moderate
^ + 1
Old 10-07-2007 | 11:39 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

47,000 miles. 20+K on the track. rear rotors came with the car. Fronts are gen II with 10K track miles. Zero fade even with 60 minute sessions. They wear great but are fragile.
Old 10-08-2007 | 05:14 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

PCCBs have to be bedded in the same way iron rotor based systems need bedding in.

Proper transfer of material between pad and rotor remains important.

I have seen cars which have completed several thousand miles withoiut bedding in their PCCBs.

R+C
Old 10-08-2007 | 08:16 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Mark
That is a feature of the C4, C4S, and turbo. It has nothing to do with PCCBs.
Old 10-09-2007 | 05:33 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
It seems that PCCB is a must-have option on the GT3 and RS. I was wondering about opinions as to whether they truly are worth their price, or if it's just a matter of people wanting their car to be fitted with "the best money can buy"?
That's funny, I thought they were a must NOT have option. Silly me.

Quick Reply: Why is PCCB a "must have" option?