Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Why is PCCB a "must have" option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007 | 04:50 PM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Originally Posted by GlennMc
So why did you pay the money for them in the 1st place
I thought they were the way to go, I wouldn't make that choice again...
Old 10-04-2007 | 04:55 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Bacus
I thought they were the way to go, I wouldn't make that choice again...
Same here.
Old 10-04-2007 | 04:56 PM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Bobby, this is the input I'm looking for. Are you saying that you have experienced both PCCB and steel on 997 GT3s, and in a like-for-like comparison, the PCCBs are noticeably better in feel?
On the track, I think the steels feel better. I can modulate better before ABS kicks in, and generally the brakes feel better. It may have to do with using better pads for the track, or it may have to do with setting the ABS system to the steel brake setting instead of the PCCB setting in the computer.

Either way, I don't feel the unsprung weight difference and my lap times have improved just a little bit.

If you track as much as I do, I just don't want to replace those rotors... big bucks. And going through the approved pads for the PCCB's once a month / month and half is also costly. Of course if you don't mind spending the money...
Old 10-04-2007 | 05:03 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Not to be too cynical, but I think there's some truth to that! I bet PCCB sales would suffer if they were painted red...

Porsche's marketing is superb.

So far I'm hearing that people are buying them because they're yellow and expensive. Wait a minute... maybe this is FerrariChat? Nope, just checked... it's Rennlist.
Old 10-04-2007 | 05:56 PM
rsman
Instructor

Had the steels on my 996 GT3 and now have the PCCBs on my 997 GT3. If you are only tracking car occasionally I would go with the PCCBs. I absolutely love them. Noticeable benefits are as follows: Substantially less brake dust; no roter noise which I found the steels to do after hard use particularly when they start to crack around the drill holes which they definately will do with some repeated high speed braking even if you do not track the car; no squealing which the steels are prone to do when they get dusty under light braking;less unsprung weight; no fade;bigger front roters;and better looks! Now that I have had them I would not have it any other way unless the car was tracked alot.
Old 10-04-2007 | 06:18 PM
elfer4s
Rennlist Member

i just sold our '05 C2S with steel and have driven 9 DE event days at VIR with an '07 GT3 and PCCB's. I was reluctant when I ordered the GT3 to go with ceramics after hearing the horror stories about the Series 1 ceramics. But I have a friend who has Series 2 PCCB's on his '06 C4S and he raved about them. So...

On the track, I can brake later and much harder with the PCCB's. I have no problem with heel and toe either. The pads are about half worn down in the front and only 1/4 in the rear. Very rarely does the ABS activate. Since there is very little dust on the wheels after each event, I assume that there's minimal wear on the ceramic discs. The car already has 5,100, mostly street, miles on it since March;it's about 220 miles each way to VIR.

With steel, I had to brake earlier at DE events. The C2S had minimal pad wear after about 10 DE days at both Summit Point and VIR.

On the street, I find the PCCB's more difficult to modulate;they're right there as soon as I touch the pedal.

Are the PCCB's worth the extra $ 9,000? Not for street driving. The steel discs are more than adequate. For the track, $9,000 is alot of dough to save a few seconds per lap and 44 kilos in unsprung weight. But I also race sailboats and sailors spend an inordinate amount of dough for just at extra 0.1 knot.

Given my experience so far, I'd again order the PCCB's.
Old 10-04-2007 | 06:34 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by rsman
Had the steels on my 996 GT3 and now have the PCCBs on my 997 GT3. If you are only tracking car occasionally I would go with the PCCBs. I absolutely love them. Noticeable benefits are as follows: Substantially less brake dust; no roter noise which I found the steels to do after hard use particularly when they start to crack around the drill holes which they definately will do with some repeated high speed braking even if you do not track the car; no squealing which the steels are prone to do when they get dusty under light braking;less unsprung weight; no fade;bigger front roters;and better looks! Now that I have had them I would not have it any other way unless the car was tracked alot.
My thoughts exactly. However, like me, you are comparing 997 PCCB to 996 steel. So I'm still hoping someone will post with a subjective comparison of 997 PCCB to 997 steel for street use. The PCCBs are simply too expensive if they don't actually feel better. They're a $15k option here in S. Africa. At that price I want them to make me smile more than the steel. And compared to my 996 steels, they did. But do they also feel notably better than 997 steel is the question?

I guess what I should do is try get some time driving a steel 997 GT3 and make the comparison myself.
Old 10-04-2007 | 06:42 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I keep saying this and nobody listens:

At moderate speeds on the track (7-8/10s) the PCCBs are superb, and great on the street for all around use. I would not buy any 911 today unless it had ceramics, they are that good and confidence inspiring

At 10/10s, on the track, they are an expensive potential wear item, but at 10/10s since the whole car is being risked, what is another $8-9K?. The guys who say they are going 10/10s and not risking the car... well, make up your own mind on that one.

The ceramics have a better, bite and feel and are more liveable (noise and dust) on the street than steels modified to have "improved" bite (e.g. racing pads)

One you go ceramics, you never go back.

Since 05 the compound was changed for even better longevity
Old 10-04-2007 | 06:49 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by elfer4s
i just sold our '05 C2S with steel and have driven 9 DE event days at VIR with an '07 GT3 and PCCB's. I was reluctant when I ordered the GT3 to go with ceramics after hearing the horror stories about the Series 1 ceramics. But I have a friend who has Series 2 PCCB's on his '06 C4S and he raved about them. So...

On the track, I can brake later and much harder with the PCCB's. I have no problem with heel and toe either. The pads are about half worn down in the front and only 1/4 in the rear. Very rarely does the ABS activate. Since there is very little dust on the wheels after each event, I assume that there's minimal wear on the ceramic discs. The car already has 5,100, mostly street, miles on it since March;it's about 220 miles each way to VIR.

With steel, I had to brake earlier at DE events. The C2S had minimal pad wear after about 10 DE days at both Summit Point and VIR.

On the street, I find the PCCB's more difficult to modulate;they're right there as soon as I touch the pedal.

Are the PCCB's worth the extra $ 9,000? Not for street driving. The steel discs are more than adequate. For the track, $9,000 is alot of dough to save a few seconds per lap and 44 kilos in unsprung weight. But I also race sailboats and sailors spend an inordinate amount of dough for just at extra 0.1 knot.

Elfer, how do you know your improved braking is a result of the PCCB as opposed to the differences between the cars themselves?
Old 10-04-2007 | 07:36 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by elfer4s
For the track, $9,000 is alot of dough to save a few seconds per lap and 44 kilos in unsprung weight. But I also race sailboats and sailors spend an inordinate amount of dough for just at extra 0.1 knot.

I doubt if you will save a few seconds per lap . . .
Old 10-04-2007 | 07:38 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the opinions. However, I'm hoping to hear from someone who has some experience with both steel and PCCB on the street, and can comment on whether the PCCBs are subjectively better in feel and modulation. My experience with the PCCB last week was that they were the best brakes I've ever experienced, not just in their massive stopping power, but also in feel and modulation. As excellent as my 996 steels are, these were better. But I have no experience with 997 steels.

So far I'm hearing that people are buying them because they're yellow and expensive. Wait a minute... maybe this is FerrariChat? Nope, just checked... it's Rennlist.
I have steel on the 7 GT3 and PCCB's on the RS....if I drive them back to back; steel first, when I go to the RS, I almost knock my dental fillings out; they are so grabby and very little pedal travel...heel/toe is an issue as a result and I may get one of those rennline padded pedals to compensate....love them both but it will take some time to get used to the ceramics under heavy braking...just have not had enough time to play with it that much.
Old 10-04-2007 | 09:35 PM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Bobby, this is the input I'm looking for. Are you saying that you have experienced both PCCB and steel on 997 GT3s, and in a like-for-like comparison, the PCCBs are noticeably better in feel?
My 7 GT3 has steel, my RS has PCCB. PCCB definitely feels stronger - initial bite more powerful, effortless rapid braking. That said, the steels are damn good too - I just did a track day today with the 3 and the steels worked fine. No question (cost aside) that PCCB is the stronger brake set-up. The frequent trackers have a good reason for steel because of rotor replacement cost - if you're mainly a street driver, you'll love the PCCB's.
Old 10-04-2007 | 10:13 PM
richk
Drifting

+1 Colm...very well said. I have an 07 997TT with ceramics and an 08 997TT cab with steel brakes. I have 2 track days with the 07 and the brakes have been spectacular. I ran Buttonwillow which is a fairly technical track with many turns.
Old 10-04-2007 | 10:18 PM
TripleM
Racer

No PCCB option for me ( mainly from cost perspective )..2 reasons :

1. I'd rather use the money to buy a set of ultra light forged rims which u can easily shave 5-6Lbs per corner.

2. Invest in a set of racing brakepads for the front and u enjoy fade-free trackday

3. This may not be available yet but if yes, replace the stock front steel rotors with after mtk one that has Aluminium hat
Old 10-04-2007 | 10:20 PM
jsdkms
Advanced

PCCB always for me!

Quick Reply: Why is PCCB a "must have" option?