Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Video: SharkWerks GT3/GT3RS Exhaust Project (preview)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:58 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Video: SharkWerks GT3/GT3RS Exhaust Project (preview)

OK guys, ask and ye shall receive... I wanted to wait until we had them in stock (looking like two more weeks) and much more footage but since the cat is out of the bag now (some of you had posted on rennlist) here's a preivew of what's to come. I threw together a couple of quickies from the footage we have. The stuff from the track won't be in my hands till next week We've got two "stock" cars running around with the system (one is ours) and we'll be doing a couple more next week. One is going to the track on Friday so that should be good.

Here's the product page:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=153

Video 1 (2nd gear pulls)

http://videos.g33kd.net/Shark_Werks_..._preview_1.wmv

Video 2 (Stock vs Ours)

http://videos.g33kd.net/Preview_GT3_...s_vs_stock.wmv

As always I appreciate your feedback and comments and if you're interested drop me an Email to alex@sharkwerks.com and I'll add you to the list. Needless to say, it's been a fun experience getting to drive... ahem, I mean "test" it everyday for a good while now

I don't hear any resonance at all on our car when cruising in 6th gear at 60, 65, 70, 75 (and all inbetween). I spent two weeks "commuting" to see if I could find anything. I didn't hear any resonance and having driven the stock ones plenty of times (including our own) it wasn't noticeable louder in normal mode. This is important to me and other folks around that daily drive their cars. The Cargraphic sounds fantastic but it's quite loud in part due to the headers, higher flow cats and the lack of the sport switch. The DB meter will show us the facts but honestly I don't "hear" any noticeable difference in daily driving (unless you get on it obviouslY) with the sport button off. This is because it's still going through the side mufflers and smaller 2 inch pipe and then out to the middle in almost identical fashion as it would normally. When you open the valve, obviously it bypasses the existing side mufflers and the center one isn't there anymore..

I think we've got the sound-part down. I really didn't want to "change" the Porsche tone too much. We experimented with 3 different designs for bypasses and this was the one that sounded most Porsche-esque to us. It's also the only one of the three that I feel is great for a daily driver. Over the next few weeks I'm going to have various cars running around with them and let people decide for themselves along with the help of some more videos/info. We've installed various (all?) exhaust systems on GT3s/RS' and because of the lack of sound deadening they tend to resonate and be too loud inside for most people. I've lived with two resonating 996TT's for over four years so I felt it was about time I had a car that sounded good on the inside as well as on the outside for a change. Plus we have James here who as many of you can attest can make a thing or two So before anyone asks, James designed it, proto-typed it and made the first few and production is to be done here in Northern California and not overseas.

In terms of power, it's hard to believe dyno numbers that aren't engine dyno numbers (we don't have those here really) but yes that type of testing is/has been done. I'm not going to claim any "Bolt this on and you'll get power" type of WHP figures. There's no garantuee that you're going to get power and certainly anything noticeable but the back pressure is a bit lower when in sport mode for sure. I do _NOT_ feel any power difference myself but I guess that's a good thing because we're not loosing any power or torque either. Changing out cats/headers can do that. I truly believe Porsche did a fanstastic job on the headers/cats (where you get the power) and I'm not about to try and improve upon it because far better people than me will likely spin their wheels doing so. The headers on the 3 are as good as I've seen from Porsche. Period.

I did dyno the weight lol- 18 pounds baby!

The goal here is to try and sound a bit more aggressive (or better?) and drop some weight in the process. At the same time we do not want to sacrifice any driveability with interior drone etc...

It's going to be made available through ourselves and our buddies at Evolution Motorsports shortly.... In the meantime if anyone wants to hear it in person our car will have it as will a couple of others here in the Bay Area.

Last edited by sharkster; 10-18-2007 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:43 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2nd link isn't working
Old 09-25-2007, 04:59 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

hey glenn, let me know if it works now.. I fixed it
Old 09-25-2007, 06:24 PM
RMN22AJR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GlennMc
2nd link isn't working
Hey Glen-

Love your Avatar that is my RS in the photo shoot in Tampa, FL.

Very Cool!!!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:36 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by RMN22AJR
Hey Glen-

Love your Avatar that is my RS in the photo shoot in Tampa, FL.

Very Cool!!!!!
Ooops, i knew i'd get found out soon

Thank you, it's in great demand on another forum i run in the UK, do you have any others ????
Old 09-25-2007, 06:37 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by sharkster
hey glenn, let me know if it works now.. I fixed it
Awesome, just like a cup car

How much is this install in the US, and how do you guys get on with any warranty issues with stuff like this ???

G.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:55 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Awesome, just like a cup car

How much is this install in the US, and how do you guys get on with any warranty issues with stuff like this ???

G.
Hi Glenn, thanks for the kind words. The idea was to keep it "civil" whilst the sport button is de-activated and then unleash a some more sound with the sport button on... In terms of installation I would say plan on maybe 4-5 hours at most? The bumper has to come off, then you have to take the headers/cats and one side muffler off to take out the center. Re-install etc... and figure 4-5 hours. In terms of warranty, it's not likely to be a concern since it's essentially not harming any emissions being after the cats. We're not changing the headers etc...
Old 09-25-2007, 11:13 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Now that is an awesome sounding system. It makes me want to go out and get a GT3 just for that exhaust. Excellent job!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 PM
RMN22AJR
Instructor

Ooops, i knew i'd get found out soon

Thank you, it's in great demand on another forum i run in the UK, do you have any others ????
I'll check with the photographer - I'm sure we can come up with one or two.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:16 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A couple of other minor things we noticed..... When taking the headers/cats off the header bolts are exactly the same POS as found on 996/997s. AKA they are NOT stainless and so they rust and very quickly too. Then of course hans and frans and any other summer-student program person that did the installation didn't use any anti-sieze Basically, if you go on any of the 996 forums you'll find people talking about their header bolts breaking off into the head due to corrosion/rust and other fun stuff like that. For all the kits we'll be installing here and or sending out we've ordered a bunch of the 997TT hardware which is indeed stainless. Just an fyi...
Old 09-27-2007, 12:37 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

so the cheaper 997TT is better built than the GT3 RS... classic...
Old 09-27-2007, 01:15 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
so the cheaper 997TT is better built than the GT3 RS... classic...
I know! I can't believe they'd try to save a buck or two like that... It's not like the bolts are more than 45 cents over the cost of the non-stainless or anything
Old 09-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Sounds really nice Alex. I'll need to hear it in person.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Sounds really nice Alex. I'll need to hear it in person.
Thanks buddy. Is that you and James in your avatar? If so you need to actually be behind him to hear it He just picked his up this evening so if you can't makie it our here I'm sure you'll here it. Otherwise ours is always at the shop (instead of at the track where it should be).
Old 09-27-2007, 01:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Thanks buddy. Is that you and James in your avatar? If so you need to actually be behind him to hear it He just picked his up this evening so if you can't makie it our here I'm sure you'll here it. Otherwise ours is always at the shop (instead of at the track where it should be).
no, that's both his cars. ian and son.

Quick Reply: Video: SharkWerks GT3/GT3RS Exhaust Project (preview)