Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS got its track alignment set-up and WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:08 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RS got its track alignment set-up and WOW!

DeMan motorsport in Nyack, NY has put an aggressive set-up on my RS and it handles like it is on RAILS!!...The rigidity of the rollbar and the new settings add up to an amazing ride...Gonna bring my GT3 there next week for a similar, yet more mild setup for daily driving.

Rick's new shop is chock full of Cups and late model race cars and there was even a 1958 powder blue 356 cab getting a massage...imagine a race shop with 50 years of Porsche being worked on at the same time....pure heaven!!

I have attached a couple of pics (Rick personally built the two Jagermeister race cars) and I took this pic to show the closeness of the RS color to the old Jagermeister colors....looks like a bunch of toy cars!! also is a pic of his new multi car transporter...(my RSR will be happy with the flat lift gate)...will post more pics of this impressive shop when I get them.
Attached Images    
Old 09-21-2007, 12:11 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

What set up do you have?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:18 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
What set up do you have?
You would not believe that I was sworn to not disclose this info on the forums; thus I did not ask what they were in order to protect the innocent (mainly, me!)...I am a team player
Old 09-21-2007, 09:45 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
You would not believe that I was sworn to not disclose this info on the forums; thus I did not ask what they were in order to protect the innocent (mainly, me!)...I am a team player
You can at least tell us if it's streetable with this setup?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:18 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default track set up

It's nice to share. There's nothing magic about "dialing" in a track set-up. To each his own. Much variability in terms of driving styles, tracks driven, and tires used. So far, I'd have to agree that a slight reverse track alignment is working well such as -2.4F / -2.0R. I'm thinking of playing slightly with this theme by changing to -2.3F / -2.1R or -2.3F / -2.2R. The -2.4F / -2.0R gives nice rotation and limited understeer. Slow speed 2nd gear power on early through apex will get you nice tail wag (Starsky and Hutch style) - lots of fun as this car should be.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:08 PM
gt2r
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on...I spoke with Roland Kussmaul about my set up and even though I wouldn't give out his direct phone number I can tell you that he recommended 0-1/8 toe out in front and 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 degrees negative camber. Rear at 2 1/4- 2 1/2 degrees negative. This is no secret and if someone told me to not tell anyone about the information they dialed in I probably wouldn't be using him for long.

His shop and cars look great but give me a break about allignment settings.. I also have a GT3 that I use the same setting on and it works well but will wander in the highway so you need to pay attention when driving to the track..
Old 09-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

the settings for a race car should be confidential to the team, however, the settings for a car driven on the street should be open for discussion and general approval. These will differ from car to car with different wheels , different ride heights, different corner balancing and different preferences on the same model, its no big deal.

Its a bit like somebody walking round the Bridgestone truck in the paddock at F1 testing and looking at the different bottle tops, and seeing whose tyres get filled from which bottle. Believe it or not, this was one of the 'secrets' that was involved in the McLaren-Ferrari brouhaha. 'Secret'! - it was out there for everybody to see - lots of black tops and a few grey tops.

Want to know the balance - look at the scales when they are checked......

So somebody's idea for the ideal set up for a road car is no big secret, really. It would be interesting to compare against other well known and published values.

R+C
Old 09-21-2007, 02:35 PM
gt2r
Advanced

I agree,,if it is racing and you are racing against another team that is one thing. Keep your information private. If it is for a street or track set up that the car is also driven on the street or track then that is something else. If this guy is racing in the cup series and doesn't want to have his competitors know, I can understand him with holding the info. For most track applications the front cambers are between 3 1/2 -5 degrees negative camber and wouldn't be appropriate for the street. I think it's a little crazy to think that he has some magic formula that others don't know about. That is totally bogus and most drivers couldn't tell the difference between 3 degrees negative camber and 2 1/2 anyway.

By the way Roland Kussmaul doesn't work for a team. He works for Porsche and is manager of Motorsport development--he is the one who takes the 911 and developes them for Porsche into GT3's, RS's and GT2's. He is the one who tells production which parts to use and which suspension settings to use from the factory. He also knows how to set up all of these cars for track use. He also pretty much runs the Spyder program for Porsche.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:05 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

I have attached a couple of pics (Rick personally built the two Jagermeister race cars) and I took this pic to show the closeness of the RS color to the old Jagermeister colors....looks like a bunch of toy cars!! also is a pic of his new multi car transporter...(my RSR will be happy with the flat lift gate)...will post more pics of this impressive shop when I get them.
When I saw the first picture I honestly thought those were diecast models! Unreal, please post more pictures, it looks massive! And that transport truck is his!?

You racers have quite a bit of money to keep your bad habits
Old 09-21-2007, 10:45 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sasportas
It's nice to share. There's nothing magic about "dialing" in a track set-up. To each his own. Much variability in terms of driving styles, tracks driven, and tires used. So far, I'd have to agree that a slight reverse track alignment is working well such as -2.4F / -2.0R. I'm thinking of playing slightly with this theme by changing to -2.3F / -2.1R or -2.3F / -2.2R. The -2.4F / -2.0R gives nice rotation and limited understeer. Slow speed 2nd gear power on early through apex will get you nice tail wag (Starsky and Hutch style) - lots of fun as this car should be.

I agree; knowledge should be shared but, in this case, there is some "magic" involved in dialing in a track set-up.....In Rick DeMan's and Spencer ***' case, its called, "lots of hard work", and vast amounts of testing and tuning by professionals who have won more PCA/HSR/SVRA races combined than I can count.....it is my trust in their knowledge and experience that enabled me to gain multiple podiums and wins in the GT2R PCA Class....I tell them the attitude of the car at a given point and what I would like it to do and "presto!!"; certain changes are made and the car is doing what I want it to do...just like "magic".

For the RS; I asked for the aggressive recipe that would yield nice hot laps at the Glen and similar tracks as I am used to the feed back from the highly aggressive 996 RSR. Given their experience in setting up 997 Cups which can be somewhat translated directly to the RS; I have a really hot set-up that, although will be hell on tires on the street, it will give me what I want on the track.

I would highly recommend you guys to call them or have them help you dial in your cars if you care to, they will come to the track of your choice or transport your car there as well if needed....they are simply the best around, IMO.

I attached a couple of more pics of the shop....(couldn't fit the whole thing in, there are more lifts and rediculous amounts of cars there waiting for the "magic" touch.)
Attached Images   
Old 09-22-2007, 05:23 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

WANT JAGERMEISTER 935... MUST HAVE... (drool)
Old 09-23-2007, 10:14 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by analogmike
WANT JAGERMEISTER 935... MUST HAVE... (drool)
Join the club, Bro!!! every time I see that car I get weak at the knees...here is a pic of it with my RSR at Rick's shop (occupying its proper spot at center stage!!)
Attached Images   
Old 09-23-2007, 10:17 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cleanme
You racers have quite a bit of money to keep your bad habits
I am sure it is much cheaper to smoke Crack at this point
Old 09-23-2007, 03:11 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome set up Leif. Let me know if you race or track in the southeast.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 09-23-2007, 05:19 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

I am sure it is much cheaper to smoke Crack at this point
So I have a question that might be a little intruding but are you a professional driver as in you do this for a living? Or, it's your version of "golf"? I'm interested how often do you race, or when? Maybe I've seen you scream by on T.V.?

Quick Reply: RS got its track alignment set-up and WOW!