Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT 3 rear muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Playersclub
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds awesome....count me in! That's good that you guys kept the stock tips. Can't wait for the real deal.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:37 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Playersclub
That sounds awesome....count me in! That's good that you guys kept the stock tips. Can't wait for the real deal.
Thanks Playersclub, just drop me an Email and I'll add you to it. I think the stock tips really serve two purposes, a)they're so well made that nothing I've seen looks any better anyways b)keeps any mods under-wraps. Keeping it stock/subtle is a good idea and I think most people given the option would want to retain them. It made it more difficult but it's worth it.

I just got the first production unit back and it's even lighter than the prototype and still 16-gauge SS. We'll be test fiting it on a car first thing monday morning, tig-welding it up and sending her on her to for a week's testing and some track time at Thunderhill. If all goes well, we'll start manufacturing them this week. Interest has been strong so I will try get get more made if I can.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:08 PM
chardonet
Racer

Sharky:

Can you please clarify:

For the green RS (zkermit), this car is set up with the Cargraphic kit 5 and the new Sharkwerks center section?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chardonet
Sharky:

Can you please clarify:

For the green RS (zkermit), this car is set up with the Cargraphic kit 5 and the new Sharkwerks center section?
I believe that the greenie has the stock exhaust but for the center muffler being replaced by the Sharkwerks' mod.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:26 PM
chardonet
Racer

Originally Posted by Jack
I believe that the greenie has the stock exhaust but for the center muffler being replaced by the Sharkwerks' mod.
Thanks. I got confused and combined the two cars.

So, the next question is, will the ultimate setup be with Cargraphics 5 and Shark Werks center section ???
Old 09-24-2007, 03:49 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by chardonet
Sharky:

Can you please clarify:

Hi chardonet, our car (Zkermit) has the stock headers/cats and our exhaust section only. The orange one is bone stock... Well actually it's here today getting out exhaust Production 001...

We also have Fred's RS here today (for once green outnumbers orange) for a customized one since he isn't stock with the Cargraphic Kit 5
Old 09-24-2007, 03:59 PM
chardonet
Racer

Alex:

Wow, I need to be at your shop NOW! Must be a sight.

Please keep us updated and post ALL projects, especially with Fred's RS (very interested).

Thanks again.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:01 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the price of admission? Can we get a group discount?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:04 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
I think it is one of those pesky items required by law. Same for those pesky cats, but they help our trees; unless they get caught in one...

But I hear ya, who needs all that exhaust junk; it just weighs down the car and adds complexity.
Oh, I get it now; I'm an idiot.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,661 Likes on 2,328 Posts

if you want a loud exhaust, sharky is your man. he has tried quite a few different kits.

now, can someone make my exhaust quieter by 6 dB so i can pass sound at my local track!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:07 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
if you want a loud exhaust, sharky is your man. he has tried quite a few different kits.

now, can someone make my exhaust quieter by 6 dB so i can pass sound at my local track!!!
Hey mooty... there is likely one easy way man. Basically force the flap to stay closed.. even during hard acceleration with the sport mode on? Probably some rewiring and another relay but I'm sure it can be done?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:32 PM
grussell
Pro

If you want LOUD.... CG headers and cats with straight pipes!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:17 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A couple of other minor things we noticed..... When taking the headers/cats off the header bolts are exactly the same POS as found on 996/997s. AKA they are NOT stainless and so they rust and very quickly too. Then of course hans and frans and any other summer-student program person that did the installation didn't use any anti-sieze Basically, if you go on any of the 996 forums you'll find people talking about their header bolts breaking off into the head due to corrosion/rust and other fun stuff like that. For all the kits we'll be installing here and or sending out we've ordered a bunch of the 997TT hardware which is indeed stainless. Just an fyi...
Old 10-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Alex,
Can you post a pic of your exhaust off the car?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:02 PM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
hey guys... interesting thread and just an FYI, we already made our own in-house exhaust bypass for our own car. We designed it so that we can re-use the stock tips. It has no resonance either inside the cabin and we saved 18 pounds. We're going into production right now and are making a run of 10 (about 4 are already spoken for) but if you're interested let me know. I'll have a video of it soon but suffice to say it works well because you still keep your on/off sport button and don't get a headache from it either. It sounds different to stock (so far everyone thinks it's even better).

For the localy bay area guys we've got the car at the shop so you're welcome to listen anytime
I rode in SharkWerks RS yesterday with their exhaust and it's great - I'm putting one on my RS. Not much different than stock sound, just a bit throatier. And a nice wail once the exhaust flaps open up. Uses the stock tips, so I like the stealth factor as well. I don't recall the exact price, but I think it's in the same range as the GMG set-up or perhaps a little bit less.

Quick Reply: GT 3 rear muffler