930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awww shark post a sound bite
Old 09-20-2007, 05:27 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just comparing the R&D and material that goes in the GMG's roll cage vs. their exhaust. I would figure more R&D time in the roll cage (measurements, jig, welding, etc...) and more material than the exhaust, yet the roll cage lists for $1495 vs. $2100 for the exhaust?

Hey Alex,

I'll be interested in one just as long as you keep the price reasonable . Got pics?

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:41 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey David, I'll post pix of the production unit either Friday or Monday. The proto-type wasn't half-bad looking but the one we will actually bring to market in a week or two will be a lot "cleaner" etc... I'll post some videos shorltly but I haven't gone out to the track. I did get some help from the local PD to close of an industrial road for us last Sunday tho so we had it to ourselves all blocked off. It sounded pretty darned good if I don't say so myself!
Old 09-21-2007, 01:51 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Thanks Alex. Since it's underneath, I don't really care for looks just as long as the sound can raise the hairs behind my neck. Will you have a unit with you for this Sat's meet at Carlens to Santana Row? I have a buddy that is attending and can take pics/videos.

You should offer to pass the prototype around to GT3/RS owners so they can try before they buy (deposits and all of course). This service will defintely put you over the top amongst all other vendors.

If you decide, I would like to be first in line. Back in college, I once made that mistake. Sloppy seconds no more.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:52 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey David, I understand where you're coming from and I've got a few guys here locally (track guys mostly) that are going to be running around with them in the coming weeks. I gave someone with a 997GT3 a ride in our test car today and he basically said what you just said about "hairs standing up" etc...

We're not making it "bling" but using high quality mandrel bent stainless, welding, clamps etc.. and obviously since we're not going "overseas" it won't be as cheap. But what it will do is fit, hold up against the elements and hopefully sound good to you guys.

Rather than pass the "proto-type" around I want to wait for the real thing. I like your idea about the trying before you buy for those not in our area. I'll bounce that idea around.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:56 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

OK guys, ask and ye shall receive... I wanted to wait until we had them in stock (looking like two weeks) and much more footage but since the cat is out of the bag now here's a preivew of what's to come. I threw together a couple of quickies from the footage we have. The stuff from the track won't be in my hands till next week

Video 1 (2nd gear pulls)
http://videos.g33kd.net/Shark_Werks_..._preview_1.wmv
Video 2 (Stock vs Ours)
http://videos.g33kd.net/Preview_GT3_...s_vs_stock.wmv

As always I appreciate your feedback and comments and if you're interested drop me an Email to alex@sharkwerks.com and I'll add you to the list. No deposits or anything like that at this point. I'd rather wait until we actually have them ready to UPS/Fedex. Needless to say, it's been a fun experience getting to drive... ahem, I mean "test" it everyday for a good while now

PS Seems like 10 isn't going to be enough
Old 09-21-2007, 09:18 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job alex sounds great!!!!!!!!!!!!! pm me when ready
Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Nice job Alex!! I love the side-by-side comparo between stock and your system. Why didn't anyone think of this before?

Awh man, hairs are standing up everywhere. Add me to your list. I also loved the way you were able to keep the stock look (i.e., tips).
Old 09-21-2007, 02:07 PM
cladd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

eh, it's ok
Old 09-21-2007, 02:26 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 930man
great job alex sounds great!!!!!!!!!!!!! pm me when ready
Hey 930man thanks for the kind words. That car sounds great from the factory and _hopefully_ with this mod we've made a _bit_ better. That's what I am hoping. Again, only you guys can decide on that. The only thing I can garantuee is that it saves some weight (18 pounds) and doesn't sound obnoxious inside the cabin
Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NSXTC
Nice job Alex!! I love the side-by-side comparo between stock and your system. Why didn't anyone think of this before?

Awh man, hairs are standing up everywhere. Add me to your list. I also loved the way you were able to keep the stock look (i.e., tips).
Aw thanks and glad you liked it Figured it was a good op. to do that. Unfortunately the footage I really want is from the track and I haven't had time to string together. I've got more footage of the DB levels and so forth. Basically a lot more info as well as pix etc...
Old 09-21-2007, 03:42 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
I've got more footage of the DB levels and so forth.

- this info is important to me as so many tracks are going this way
- can you post the stock,stock sport, stock your muffler, sport your muffler Decibel levels taken at 30feet at 1/3rd throttle (this would be great info that all manufacturers should give)
- also, you said there was no resonance and I think you also said there was little resonance - which one is it?
- i will be very interested in the product if the DB levels are ok and there is no resonance at that 3000rpm level

- product sounds amazing
Old 09-21-2007, 04:16 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi 997gt3north, I already have that type of video stuff planned and I'm with you.

I don't hear any resonance at all on our car when cruising in 6th gear at 60, 65, 70, 75 (and all inbetween). I spent two weeks "commuting" to see if I could find anything. I didn't hear any resonance and having driven the stock ones plenty of times (including our own) it wasn't noticeable louder in normal mode. This is important to me and other folks around that daily drive their cars. The Cargraphic sounds fantastic but it's quite loud in part due to the headers, higher flow cats and the lack of the sport switch. The DB meter will show us the facts but honestly I don't "hear" any noticeable difference in daily driving (unless you get on it obviouslY) with the sport button off. This is because it's still going through the side mufflers and smaller 2 inch pipe and then out to the middle in almost identical fashion as it would normally. When you open the valve, obviously it bypasses the existing side mufflers and the center one isn't there anymore..

I think we've got the sound-part down. I really didn't want to "change" the Porsche tone too much. We experimented with 3 different designs for bypasses and this was the one that sounded most Porsche-esque to us. It's also the only one of the three that I feel is great for a daily driver. Over the next few weeks I'm going to have various cars running around with them and let people decide for themselves along with the help of some more videos/info. We've installed various (all?) exhaust systems on GT3s/RS' and because of the lack of sound deadening they tend to resonate and be too loud inside for most people. I've lived with two resonating 996TT's for over four years so I felt it was about time I had a car that sounded good on the inside as well as on the outside for a change

Also thanks for the kind words!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:53 PM
NSXTC
Racer

And of course there's a gain of about 10RWHP

Seriously, did you get a chance do dyno before and after?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:50 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi David, it's hard to believe dyno numbers that aren't engine dyno numbers (we don't have those here really) but yes that type of testing is/has been done. I'm not going to claim any "Bolt this on and you'll get power" type of WHP figures. There's no garantuee that you're going to get power and certainly anything noticeable but the back pressure is a bit lower when in sport mode for sure. I do _NOT_ feel any power difference myself but I guess that's a good thing because we're not loosing any power or torque either. Changing out cats/headers can do that. I truly believe Porsche did a fanstastic job on the headers/cats (where you get the power) and I'm not about to try and improve upon it because far better people than me will likely spin their wheels doing so. The headers on the 3 are as good as I've seen from Porsche. Period.

I did dyno the weight the lol 18 pounds baby!

The goal here is to try and sound a bit more aggressive (or better?) and drop some weight in the process. At the same time we do not want to sacrifice any driveability with interior drone etc...

Quick Reply: GT 3 rear muffler