Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

a day at Calabogie with new alignment and RS wing ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:34 PM
LERA GT2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an excerpt of PORSCHE 911 Story by Paul Frere, relating to negative lift or down force for the 996 GT2:

“Porsche claims that a front down force of 2.2 kg and arear down force of 7.5 kg at 200 kph (124 mph) are produced. Corresponding forces at 300 kph (186 mph) would be 5 and 17 kg respectively”.

They do not mention at what level or degrees. Is it published anywhere for GT2 & GT3 wings?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:39 PM
prg
Pro

Where do you guys have your bars set? I fought a car that had significant understeer last weekend, but later found it had been set to center position on the rear bar and one off full stiff in front! I've now set it full stiff in real and one off full soft in front. I hope this helps. It was a pretty frustrating experience.

Granted, more agressive trail braking would have definitely helped, but there is a limit to how late I'm willing to brake my new car. My skirt gets in my eyes when the car is too unstable in corner entry.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:02 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by prg
Where do you guys have your bars set? I fought a car that had significant understeer last weekend, but later found it had been set to center position on the rear bar and one off full stiff in front! I've now set it full stiff in real and one off full soft in front. I hope this helps. It was a pretty frustrating experience.

Granted, more agressive trail braking would have definitely helped, but there is a limit to how late I'm willing to brake my new car. My skirt gets in my eyes when the car is too unstable in corner entry.
- your bars are now set how they should have been
- if you have the street alignment i would suggest you get the track alignment at a minimum
- i moved away from the track alignment (-2front, -2.5 rear) as the rear tires wore incredibly fast on the inside edges while the front tires were perfectly worn - thus I decided to try the reverse tracksettings -2.5 front and -2 rear
- i will say that at -2 in the rear the rear end is more active so this should be considered

- finally, the push that many have commented on shows up more on tracks with slower, tighter turns so also take this into consideration depending on where you track you car

- with the official track settings, i found the car to be neutral at VIR and Watkins Glen with the factory sway bar settings (1 from soft front, full hard rear) - I also found it worked well at Limerock ?

- those settings however cause a push at Calabogie, Mosport, Tremblant

- so, for me, tire wear + the tracks I visit, i am trying the reverse track settings on this set of OE tires (prior to the RS wing, I will say again that the rear end is more active - turn #4 at Mosport (scary) and thus i'm using the RS wing to prevent this - if I didn't have the wing I would likely put the rear end back to -2.25 for the next set of tires

- again, it all depends on your style - as you said you can always jut trail brake more and get some rotation - on this point i will say that the 997gt3 is very stable while trail braking and my experience so far is that you can really trail brake pretty aggressively and nothing is going to snap on you so maybe dial up the trail braking next time
Old 09-15-2007, 05:34 PM
prg
Pro

Thank you for your response. I'm at -2.4 front and -2.0 rear. I track at Hallett in Oklahoma which has 2 understeer inducing corners. (Each in close enough proximity to tire walls and trees to discourage me from late braking my non-disposable track car.) I'll give the current settings a try next time. I'll bring a jack in case I want to try full soft in front.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- that makes sense
- the most obvious corner was at the end of the front straight - you hit the apex at 85kph and i was usually hit it at 87 to 92 and it wasn't like i risked going off the track

- anyways, would like to say thanks for the vid as it helped me alot

- if you are going to be up there before year end would love to join you and have you coach me for a few laps

Paul
Hey Paul,

I'm up there quite a bit. In fact I will be there on the 18th and the 26th of September. They are both private days but if you PM me I will see about putting you in touch with the organizer (also an instructor) and see if we might be able to swing you an invite. I can't promise anything but there is a possibility.

Keith
Old 09-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Originally Posted by prg

My bars are one from full stiff in the rear and one from full soft in the front.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:08 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex Late
Hey Paul,

I'm up there quite a bit. In fact I will be there on the 18th and the 26th of September. They are both private days but if you PM me I will see about putting you in touch with the organizer (also an instructor) and see if we might be able to swing you an invite. I can't promise anything but there is a possibility.

Keith

Thanks Keith, PM sent.

Paul
Old 09-17-2007, 09:27 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm up there quite a bit.
There's an understatement.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by sjanes
Uh huh.

I'll be there tomorrow & the 26th as well.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Originally Posted by sjanes
I'm not there anymore than you are
Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not there anymore than you are
And to keep up that trend, see ya'll bright and early tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

you guys are track *****!
I am jealous

Quick Reply: a day at Calabogie with new alignment and RS wing ...