Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

a day at Calabogie with new alignment and RS wing ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default a day at Calabogie with new alignment and RS wing ...

- first of all, thanks for the recent post showing the 2:17 lap, it helped a lot as I wrote down all the entry speeds and used them as a reference + I used the line that I saw on the video

- this was my second visit to this track with Xclusive- we had a great sunny day with lots of track time

- i gave a bunch of rides to interested parties but got as much time as my mind could handle

The alignment (-2.5front with .8mm total toe in, -2rear, factory toe + rear RS wing at 10degres)
- my first thought is about the wing - this larger wing at a 10degree angle just glues the rear end to the road - you absolutely can feel it and it inspires confidence - a few places where my rear would slide last time, it slide much less or not at all - i will dial down the wing a few degrees for the next event at this track - but everyone out there with the RS wing if they haven't tried cranking up the wing to increase rear grip, give it a try - wow
- the above wing comments have to be taken together with the fact that I am running less rear camber than the factory setting (-2 not -2.5) and more front
- the car felt fantastic on the track - fantastic - did i say fantastic - a glued rear end and a front that turns

- i took some high def video with a wide angle lense - I will try and upload it as it will give you all that haven't done this track a great idea about it

- anyways, did a few laps at 2:25 and i know where i can gain a few more seconds as I just wasn't going full out

- two thumbs up for the reverse track settings - i'm even contemplating running more camber up front and keeping the rear where it is at -2 - and then just using the rear wing as an addition tool to glue the rear end as required

and a follow up from my previous post
- i made sure to bed in the pccb pads by doing a few very high speed stops while heading up to the track and the brakes were fantastic this time - no rear end instability / front pad green fade

Last edited by 997gt3north; 09-15-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:48 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default alignment

Thanks for the information. I have basically the same alignment as you: -2.4F and -2.0 Rear + running the rear spoiler at 8 degrees. I do have a subjective feeling that makes me wonder about the front camber. Although I have great turn in now and much less tendancy to understeer, I sense a slight increase in the ability to rotate the car and corner entry oversteer (nothing to drastic, just noticed). Additionally, I felt the car had slightly less braking abilities with high speed straights (140mph+) then it did at with a front camber of -2.0.

Am I crazy? Should I adjust tire pressures slightly to compensate?

Any comments are appreciated. Also, I noticed that my front tire temps were 10-15 degrees greater at the inside edges of the front tires as compared to the outer edge (could this just be too much pressure now with the increased camber?)
Old 09-14-2007, 12:35 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the video of Keith's 2:17
Keep in mind that the entry/exit speeds indicated on the video are the real speeds or even a little low while your speedometer will show higher speeds than your actual speed.
So you have to adjust what you observe on the speedometer.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Ken W
8th Gear

Hi Andrei,

Know where I can get ahold of the video? Thanks, K.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:19 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

www.racedv.com. They have a bunch of different cars on different track bust mostly Calabogie and Tremblant.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:41 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by amaist
Regarding the video of Keith's 2:17
Keep in mind that the entry/exit speeds indicated on the video are the real speeds or even a little low while your speedometer will show higher speeds than your actual speed.
So you have to adjust what you observe on the speedometer.
funny you say that as i was able to enter a few corners faster than he did and also exit on his speed and i wasn't quite sure where i was losing all my time - never occurred to me the lag factor

there was one corner however that i was never able to get his entry speed - it was #10 where he entered at 117kph - i don't think i got over 108kph - every other corner i was able to usually exceed by a few kph (yes lagged i know) if i set my mind to it but it just felt that there was no way the tires would hold the turn if i did

- what tires was he running?

thanks

Paul
Old 09-14-2007, 04:50 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

No offence, but maybe you should spend less time looking at your speedo and more looking at the track. Getting a GT-3 to a 2:17 at Calabogie is not an easy task, and unless you can drive like Keith (I don't know if you can or not), simply trying to match his corner entry speed sounds like a good way to crash. Your speed should come from listening to the car, not what somebody else did.

FWIW, Keith uses Hoosier R6's, but that's not why he is as fast as he is.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:02 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- rear RS wing at 10degres)
- my first thought is about the wing - this larger wing at a 10degree angle just glues the rear end to the road - you absolutely can feel it and it inspires confidence - a few places where my rear would slide last time, it slide much less or not at all - i will dial down the wing a few degrees for the next event at this track - but everyone out there with the RS wing if they haven't tried cranking up the wing to increase rear grip, give it a try - wow
I saw your car there yesterday and my first thought..... WOW with that much rear wing angle, it looked like it was shimmed to the max, HTF does he get anything but massive understeer on turn-in, let alone keep the front tires on the pavement......

Old 09-14-2007, 05:51 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I saw your car there yesterday and my first thought..... WOW with that much rear wing angle, it looked like it was shimmed to the max, HTF does he get anything but massive understeer on turn-in, let alone keep the front tires on the pavement......

- the wing angle was 10 degrees
- it goes to 15 degrees so i thought i would try 2/3rds and see how it did
- the car felt neutral out there on the high speed stuff but i think it still needs more front camber or maybe even toe out for improved slower corner front end grip
- i also wonder if my welded rear 1/2 cage acts as an additional rear sway bar to some extent - thus the lack of push?
- the car with -2 versus -2.5 in the rear was definitely looser last week at Mosport when I made the change so that is one of the main reasons I went with what I thought was going to be plently of wing but since the car didn't seem to push i just left it that way all day
Old 09-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Originally Posted by sasportas
Thanks for the information. I have basically the same alignment as you: -2.4F and -2.0 Rear + running the rear spoiler at 8 degrees. I do have a subjective feeling that makes me wonder about the front camber. Although I have great turn in now and much less tendancy to understeer, I sense a slight increase in the ability to rotate the car and corner entry oversteer (nothing to drastic, just noticed). Additionally, I felt the car had slightly less braking abilities with high speed straights (140mph+) then it did at with a front camber of -2.0.

Am I crazy? Should I adjust tire pressures slightly to compensate?

Any comments are appreciated. Also, I noticed that my front tire temps were 10-15 degrees greater at the inside edges of the front tires as compared to the outer edge (could this just be too much pressure now with the increased camber?)
I actually tried the -2.5 F and -2.0 Rear and I was NOT pleased with the way the car performed. I carved up front tires (Hoosiers) something crazy and the braking performance that you mentioned was a big problem for me. I actually run -2.0 F and -2.4 rear and I've had much better success. That being said it works with the way that I drive and may not be for everyone.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
funny you say that as i was able to enter a few corners faster than he did and also exit on his speed and i wasn't quite sure where i was losing all my time - never occurred to me the lag factor

there was one corner however that i was never able to get his entry speed - it was #10 where he entered at 117kph - i don't think i got over 108kph - every other corner i was able to usually exceed by a few kph (yes lagged i know) if i set my mind to it but it just felt that there was no way the tires would hold the turn if i did

- what tires was he running?

thanks

Paul
Hey Paul,

I run Hoosier R6 tires. I like them but I don't love them. I got into them because they were all that was available in 18's earlier this year. I want to switch to Cups but I'm worried that I will be back to square #1 with the set-up. As for the speedo lag a few of us have found that it is around 8-12 kmph
Old 09-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Originally Posted by sjanes
No offence, but maybe you should spend less time looking at your speedo and more looking at the track. Getting a GT-3 to a 2:17 at Calabogie is not an easy task, and unless you can drive like Keith (I don't know if you can or not), simply trying to match his corner entry speed sounds like a good way to crash. Your speed should come from listening to the car, not what somebody else did.

FWIW, Keith uses Hoosier R6's, but that's not why he is as fast as he is.

+1
Old 09-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

FWIW my speedo has an error of about 6% (high).

We used a GPS on the way back from Chicago and discovered the speedo on the car was optimistic.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:08 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Apex Late
Hey Paul,

I run Hoosier R6 tires. I like them but I don't love them. I got into them because they were all that was available in 18's earlier this year. I want to switch to Cups but I'm worried that I will be back to square #1 with the set-up. As for the speedo lag a few of us have found that it is around 8-12 kmph
- that makes sense
- the most obvious corner was at the end of the front straight - you hit the apex at 85kph and i was usually hit it at 87 to 92 and it wasn't like i risked going off the track

- anyways, would like to say thanks for the vid as it helped me alot

- if you are going to be up there before year end would love to join you and have you coach me for a few laps

Paul
Old 09-14-2007, 09:19 PM
LERA GT2
Rennlist Member

Has anyone calculated how many pounds of downforce is generated at x wing angle at a given speed?

Quick Reply: a day at Calabogie with new alignment and RS wing ...