Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Turning Off Tire Pressure Monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

my gearbox is noisy b/c i like to mix rock and sand with my tranny oil.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:21 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires with NO TPM sensors

I am going to buy after market tires maybe C-10's with no TPM sensors installed. What will happen then, will I get just no readings or will it put out an error??
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I am going to buy after market tires maybe C-10's with no TPM sensors installed. What will happen then, will I get just no readings or will it put out an error??
IIRC, you get error msg on dash. the car drives fine no prob.
but you should just kill off TPMS. it not all that accurate anyways. and as a GT3 driver, surely you must chk your tire pressure every time you roll out the garage
Old 03-25-2008, 11:38 PM
scss98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something Else goes

When you disabled the TPMS, did you notice the radio station display function also went away? The one which shows the name of the radio station and the title of the song.

Originally Posted by mooty
yes.

here you go

1: First you must actually disconnect the TPMS control unit so that the CAN Controller does not continue to recognize it. The control unit is located in the front trunk next to brake fluid reservoir. Remove and unplug the dome light on the cowling plastic. Remove all of the screws that hold this entire plastic panel in. There are a good number on top by the seal and one on each side by the bottom.

2: Now unplug the control unit it is part number 997 618 103 06, Do not remove it. This way you can always just plug it back it and use it again.

3. Reassemble the front trunk again.

4. Hook up the PIWIS tester to the car via the OBD2 port and do a complete check of all the control units.

5. Select "Gateway" and then "Coding" then ""Required Control Units List". This will list all installed CAN units.

6. Now select "Tire Pressure Monitoring System" and change to " Not Installed" and code it, then exit to the main screen again.

The next steps will code your instrument cluster and to do so will require that you have your engine number, so have it handy, you will find out why.

7. Select "Instrument Cluster" and then "Coding" then "Vehicle Variants".

8. Now select your "Model Year" then "Model", "Roof Version", "Country" (02 is for USA, Puerto Rico). The next item will be "Versions" (553 is USA/Canada).

9. Select your "Individual and exclusive equipment" by highlighting each item that would apply such as: 454-Cruise, 023-Silver Colored Gauge faces etc. DO NOT select 423/483 TPM!!!! This is the TPMS for the cluster and must not be highlighted.

10. Move to the next screen and finish the "Audio and Communication " by highlighting what applies to your car.

11. Next will be the "Wheel Size" and finally it will ask about your engine number.

12. Proceed forward and then Code with F8.

That’s it and now TPMS is removed.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by scss98
When you disabled the TPMS, did you notice the radio station display function also went away? The one which shows the name of the radio station and the title of the song.
no, it continues to MALFUNCTION just like before.

on everyone of my 996 and cayman and RS, the song and station name on shows on certain stations. also when you switch station using preset buttons, sometimes the actual music changes to the selected station but the text on radio remains on the station previous.

FURTHERMORE, this is bizzare.
on a particular station here in bay area, when i hit that station with preset button, i get a "gas pump" logo on the center dash (below tach). this only happens with that station (101.3 iirc). this occurred on RS before and after the TPMS disconnect. it also occurs on all three of my caymans which had no TPMS.... the dealer cannot figure it out. i even took pix to prove i am not crazy!!! but other than that, the car works fine.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The radio thing happened to me when the TPMS was disabled. It was an input error by the tech and took 3 minutes to correct. Go back and get the tech to reactivate that function in the instrument panel menu.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

Smile

TPMS removed yesterday. Thanks to Mooty for posting the instructions. The Porsche dealer in Santa Barbara (thanks to them) they used the instructions provided by Mooty. They tried it on their own first and could not get the "!" point to go away, then followed Mooty's instructions and it worked. Their order of steps was different but acknowledged Mooty's were the correct sequence.

Thanks Mooty, could not have done it with out you.

I am very happy to have it off. Completely un-needed for me. Inaccurate. Annoying. Doesn't work with my HREs (I choose not to buy the TPMS for them). No longer have to be irritated by false warnings when I run the pressures different for the track.

I changed my oil and filter at the same time despite having only 3000 miles, and the dealer did not charge me for the TPMS disconnect.

Thanks to this board for helping me do this!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:50 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

you are most welcome, kevin.

btw, i am sure i have seen your car at laguna seca before, not many red GT3's around. did you have a LARGE muffler outside of the bumper to pass sound?

my cars usually has #868 stuck on them. perhaps we will meet on track again soon. i'll be at LS monday.

Originally Posted by Kevinlpl
TPMS removed yesterday. Thanks to Mooty for posting the instructions. The Porsche dealer in Santa Barbara (thanks to them) they used the instructions provided by Mooty. They tried it on their own first and could not get the "!" point to go away, then followed Mooty's instructions and it worked. Their order of steps was different but acknowledged Mooty's were the correct sequence.

Thanks Mooty, could not have done it with out you.

I am very happy to have it off. Completely un-needed for me. Inaccurate. Annoying. Doesn't work with my HREs (I choose not to buy the TPMS for them). No longer have to be irritated by false warnings when I run the pressures different for the track.

I changed my oil and filter at the same time despite having only 3000 miles, and the dealer did not charge me for the TPMS disconnect.

Thanks to this board for helping me do this!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

Mooty,

Yes I had the "Laguna Seca Special" muffler. I think I did see you blurrrr by me a few times. I will look forward to meeting you in person. Can't make LS Monday, swamped until April 15th. Several of my buddies are going. Will be at BW 4/19-4/20, may bring my M3 though as several of my friends also drive E36s and it is fun to run together. Bought the shims for front alignment and waiting for the HRE with Nitto Nt01 for the 3. Anxious to get back in the 3 once the wheels, tires and shims are installed!

I would enjoy a ride and some instruction from you as well! Kevin
Old 05-18-2008, 12:42 AM
cgng30
Instructor

mooty

i have a opposite question from what every body wants. i want to retrofit the tpms. i have a 2005 c2. but my instrument cluster just got replaced with a 2007 cluster that has tpms option. my tech actually disabled it because i didnot have tpms. now that i have the cluster, can retrofit the tpms unit, and turn it back on on the cluster. just a shot in the dark here, i am assuming my wiring is probably different?? any feedback

ronie

Originally Posted by mooty
Remove cowl trim, disconnect TPMS control unit (on driver side, next to master cylinder)

Go into Gateway control unit, remove TPM from control unit list

Go into Inst Cluster
> vehicle variants
> US/Puerto Rico > select options as equipped (ie silver face gauges, cruise control, etc) EXCEPT tpm
> choose audio as equipped (CDR24, PCM, PCM w/ Nav, etc)
> choose wheel size > F8 to code.

At this point the status bar should appear, should take ~ 45 sec to code. Once complete it will prompt for correct VIN. Make sure this is correct, especially on PCM equipped cars. Once VIN is confirmed, coding is complete.

i put in 19" wheels, i dont know if 18" would be better (i run 19" OEM on street and 18" on track).

at any rate, i dont understand why the computer wants to know wheel size as TPMS no longer exists. for speedometer and traction control, i would imagine overall diameter is what's important, not wheel size. trying to outsmart the computer, i figured computer will assume 19" wheel take oem size tire and will track oem total diameter. my overall diameter is same as 19" oem (i run RA1).
Old 05-18-2008, 03:24 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cgng30
mooty

i have a opposite question from what every body wants. i want to retrofit the tpms. i have a 2005 c2. but my instrument cluster just got replaced with a 2007 cluster that has tpms option. my tech actually disabled it because i didnot have tpms. now that i have the cluster, can retrofit the tpms unit, and turn it back on on the cluster. just a shot in the dark here, i am assuming my wiring is probably different?? any feedback

ronie
sorry, i dont know how to do that.
perhaps just reverse my algorithm?
you do need the module in the front bulkhead as mentioned in the steps. you also need TPMS sensors on the wheels.

you do know these things are far far from accurate. they really only help if you have sudden pressure loss, like blow out. but then, i suspect you will know that without TPMS.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:19 PM
keithwatson
Advanced

Angry Will a dealer charge me

Will I be charged for having my TPMS disabled? Bought a new 07 C2S in December, and almost immediately the rear right sensor malfunctioned, stating "flat tire". Had that sensor replaced. Now, 5 months later, it appears left rear sensor is malfunctioning. It continues to read -4psi, though the pressure is actually 41. It has been reset multiple times, to no avail. Really pisses me off. Now, I just want the system disabled. Or would any of you recommend just having another sensor/battery replaced an seeing how long that lasts? As this post clearly shows, the system is horridly inaccurate, and I see the only benefit being in the event of a truly flat tire. Will a dealer charge me or just do it under warranty? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Turning Off Tire Pressure Monitoring