Turning Off Tire Pressure Monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Turning Off Tire Pressure Monitoring

All of us with TPMS are annoyed when we track our cars. Lower cold pressure sets off red lights and track wheels without sensors set off alarms.

I learned from Racerron that TPMS can be disabled by the dealer. There is a trick though.

The dealer needs to unplug the TPMS module. Once that is done the PWIS will display a menu option to disable TPMS. If the module is plugged in no such menu option will appear leading some dealers to conclude that the system cannot be switched off.

Thanks Ron!

Best,
Old 09-05-2007, 05:59 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
All of us with TPMS are annoyed when we track our cars. Lower cold pressure sets off red lights and track wheels without sensors set off alarms.

I learned from Racerron that TPMS can be disabled by the dealer. There is a trick though.

The dealer needs to unplug the TPMS module. Once that is done the PWIS will display a menu option to disable TPMS. If the module is plugged in no such menu option will appear leading some dealers to conclude that the system cannot be switched off.

Thanks Ron!

Best,
- and i just bought 8 new sensors for my new track rubber and of course they are out by 4psi

- thanks, it will be immediately disabled

- do you know where this module is?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

Thanks Ron!

Best,
thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

what do you mean by "alarm". canadian cars have a beep? all i get is the red lights.

so where is the tpms module?

when you said unplug, then do the menu with PIWIS, once done with PIWIS, do you

plug the TPMS module back on?
tuck it away somewhere in the car?
or rip it off the car permanently?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Mooty - my car beeps every few mins when I run wheels without sensors. Dunno where the module is, your dealer should know. After the device is programmed off with the PWIS, you just leave it alone I believe. Ron's is done and I will get mine done next week. More info then unless Racerron chimes in. The good news is that it can be done!
Old 09-06-2007, 06:57 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know. I am still not sure if I am going to pull it but atleast that is an option.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:03 PM
tcracing
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS Module location......

Module is right by brake master cylinder. Just got back from my trip to the Nashville dealer (since Gossett here in Memphis won't turn off anything for me) and we turned off both, the TPMS and the air bag lights. THANKS, Bob, your timing with this info could not have been better for me!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:35 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

ok, tcracing you got to save me.
my dealer found the module, like you said next to the master cylinder (under all the plastic shrouds). it's disconnected now (by pulling off the pig tail on the underside of the module). the dealer tech, with PIWIS, went through several menu and thought he kill it off. but i drove it here is what i see.

the yellow light with tire and exclamation mark.
the red exclamation mark
and central screen says TPC indicator failure

can you tell me what algorithm, buttons, menu you gone through? i know i am close.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 PM
That Guy
Advanced

at the dealer again....
anyone???
Old 09-11-2007, 07:04 PM
tcracing
Rennlist Member

Mooty, call Thoroughbred Porsche in Nashville: 615-385-1900. Ask Mickey, the Porsche Service Manager to let you talk directly to Nick, the service tech that took care of me last week. If you cannot get through to these guys, let me know and I'll make the call myself.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:14 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

ok, thoroughbred is closed now.
i will have my service manager call up mickey to see if we can kill this POS off.
this should NOT BE this difficult.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:01 PM
tcracing
Rennlist Member

Done deal?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tcracing
Done deal?
no, they talked to nick.
my dealer "thinks" nick had the earlier version of PIWIS soft ware b/c on my dealer's softwere, there was no menu to reprogram the instrument cluster as nick mentioned.

my dealer is hooking up to their cars on the lot to see if they get lucky. frustrating.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:10 PM
tcracing
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear this update, I relate.............remember my initiation with local dealer refusing to turn off the airbag lights. I know they will figure it out, confirm when it is done, pls.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Mooty SP or TH sept 21st? I'm still debating(50/50). Mike ps-holger busy
Old 09-12-2007, 11:55 PM
fasthound
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to simply set it up with LOWER initial pressures as opposed to turning it off completely? At the track I was starting with 26F/27R pressures to get the Corsas up to 34PSI hot. If you could somehow tell the system that you are on summer tires with the set points at 26/27, then you'd have the benefit of the TPMS to alert you to a leak and not have it going crazy at the track. Wouldn't that work better than shutting it off completely?

I know the system is not very accurate (well, I suppose every single tire pressure gauge I've used is wrong and TPMS is correct....ha!), but it's a good failsafe system for tire failure.

Quick Reply: Turning Off Tire Pressure Monitoring