Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Danica Patrick drives the GT3 RS -Video

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:42 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Good point SML and she talked about how much torque was in the RS.
that was suprising.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:45 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give her a break. She may have said all that and more, we just don't know how Moron Trend set it up or what aspects she was told to comment upon or what perspective she was asked to take. Also, one cannot neglect the power of editing.

I'm still kinda thinking about an experienced driver not buckling their helmet, that's strange.

Did I say I thought she was cute?

OG, you're right on of course,you need differently tasked individuals to do...different tasks!
Old 09-04-2007, 02:49 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Communication prowess, and the ability to describe details so others understand in THEIR channels, is directly correlated to IQ. Thats all I have to say in this case.
Interesting that you should mention this.

I've met many well educated folks and I think the one universal attribute of the really intelligent ones is their ability to communicate to virtually anyone their thoughts in terms that are comprehended at that level.

I suppose the corollary is that if one truly understands they make it seem easy.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:08 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

If she's not happy with the Z06 power then her review of the RS is quite favorable by comparison. At least she's not in the pockets of the manufacturer giving some sugar-coated sack ride. Her ability to translate the characteristics of the ride is about as informative as some of the NFL post-game interviews. She is paid to perform though, and not to blog.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:22 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

I've worked in motor racing a long time....and....you don't have a race car driver tell you diddly about road cars....their input, on the whole, is simply useless. Kind of like asking an astronaut to comment on your box kite. That said, there are probably 10 other guys from the IRL I'd put in the car for comment before I ticked the box next to Patrick's name.

That said, I'd suggest no one read too much into her comments on either car...no slight against Danica, just being consistent w/my comments above.

Last edited by LA964RS; 09-04-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:20 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why the condescension?

btw, it's pedals...

Originally Posted by LA964RS
there are probably 10 other guys from the IRL I'd put in the car for comment before I ticked the box next to Patrick's name. I'm just glad the seat went far enough forward on both cars so she could get the peddles...that'd have been embarassing....
Old 09-04-2007, 07:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

For what it's worth, Motor Trend got what they were looking for in putting Danica Patrick in the cars, publicity. You're talking about it, other boards are talking about it. If they put someone else from the IRL, will it solicit as much talk?

I would never underestimate a professional driver as to their feed back to engineers. Remember, she is sponsored by Acura and has done driving commercials for them. I didn't expect her to come out and gush all over a GM or Porsche product. It's a pure PR move by Motor Trend, window dressing if you will.

As to very intelligent people being able to communicate well, not all intelligent people can do so. Some very bright doctors I've met couldn't explain several things in layman terms. Einstein would have to ask his students at Princeton to assist him back home because he couldn't remember how. I remember Dexter Manley of the Washington Redskins (just 1 of many examples) being a media darling, only to find out after his retirement that he could not read or write.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:10 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

I'd hit it.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:31 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Yeah...and it'd hit you back! She'd give you the Dan Wheldon special.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:58 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LA964RS
Yeah...and it'd hit you back! She'd give you the Dan Wheldon special.
I'll take that hit for the other one
Old 09-04-2007, 09:25 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by M3Pete
For what it's worth, Motor Trend got what they were looking for in putting Danica Patrick in the cars, publicity. You're talking about it, other boards are talking about it. If they put someone else from the IRL, will it solicit as much talk?

I would never underestimate a professional driver as to their feed back to engineers. Remember, she is sponsored by Acura and has done driving commercials for them. I didn't expect her to come out and gush all over a GM or Porsche product. It's a pure PR move by Motor Trend, window dressing if you will.

As to very intelligent people being able to communicate well, not all intelligent people can do so. Some very bright doctors I've met couldn't explain several things in layman terms. Einstein would have to ask his students at Princeton to assist him back home because he couldn't remember how. I remember Dexter Manley of the Washington Redskins (just 1 of many examples) being a media darling, only to find out after his retirement that he could not read or write.
Agree with your assessment of why MT used Danica.

I am in the medical field and speak to doctors literally every day. While all genralities can be proven false in certain instances, I would say it is a reasonable estimate that if your doctor cannot explain what's going on and how they plan to fix it, clearly, and in 4-5 sentences at most, then a little red flag should rise in your brain. The best docs can look you in the eye (not at the sky or their shoes) and explain quickly and clearly what they are thinking. That covers encoding...decoding is another issue and depends upon the audience.

Einstein in the late 40's and up to his death was not the giant that he was in his Halcyon days of the early century. If they had to take him home, he was either pre-senile or senile dementia. But I know nothing of what you speak regarding this issue.

By the luck of an early science project I got to meet the great Richard Feynman (). He could explain a lot to a 12 yr old. I remember feeling as though I understood some of the things he talked about. Obviously only very dimly however.

But Feynman loved to teach and Einstein abhorred it.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:32 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was a refreshing POV. I liked hearing her perspective on how the car behaived - I particularly liked her comment about 6th gear. She did not mention the feel of the gear box but it looked very notchy and like it was not comfortable given her seating position.

Hearing a non-Porsche deciple give an ?unbiased? perspective is welcome by me.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:43 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I was not too impressed on her description of the car handling or her lack of clarity about the technical aspects. You would think she knows a lot about cars and does interviews all the time so she should be more polished. I don't think she will be taking any jobs away from individuals like Tommy Kendell or the folks at the speed channel.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've known Patrick since her days in karting, when if it rained she would pack up and go home, right after throwing a hissy fit. Then get her father to call the organiser c@ck suckers. If it wasn't for Bobby Rahal and whatever she did for him, she wouldn't be driving in IRL, after all her best finish in Atlantic was a 2nd place....just one lucky one. So as for her opinion on the RS I would rather get Tiger Woods opinion on the best football cleats to buy. Her gender is the only thing that got her amd keeps her in the game. There are 100's of far better drivers flipping burgers for lack of sponsorship money. Just my 10cents. What happened to David Empringham, Michael Valiente, Joey Hand et al.......oh thats right, they aren't 5 feet tall and have to sit down to pee. and who won the 2005 Indy anyway, you know the one where Patrick finished 4th.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:22 PM
brutus143
Instructor

I wonder if she hadnt been scared in the Porsche if it could have went faster with another driver familiar with a Porsche.

Quick Reply: Danica Patrick drives the GT3 RS -Video