Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Does this look too low?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:39 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does this look too low?

Took the car into the raceshop to have it lowered slightly and aligned. I asked for 95mm and 120mm based on the factory measuring points. This represents 13mm or 1/2" lower. I'm surprised at how much of a difference its made in terms of looks. Does it look too low?

In terms of handling, etc., all I've noticed is that it's more stable at high speeds, but haven't pushed it around corners so have no idea if the reduced travel is offset by the lower centre of gravity. I feel no difference in travel from the driver's seat over bumps, etc. It hasn't scraped anything yet so that's not an issue at this time. For alignment, I went with the manual's race alignment of the following measured with all tools and full fuel tank:

Front:
Camber: -2d0m
Toe: 0m
Fender height: 25.5"
Factory measuring point height: 95mm

Rear:
Camber: -2d30m
Toe: 12m each side for a total of 24m
Fender height: 26"
Factory measuring point height: 120mm

Old 08-29-2007, 06:45 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good to me. If you're not scraping anything don't worry about it.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=fc-racer;4506765]Took the car into the raceshop to have it lowered slightly and aligned. I asked for 95mm and 120mm based on the factory measuring points. This represents 13mm or 1/2" lower. I'm surprised at how much of a difference its made in terms of looks. Does it look too low?

In terms of handling, etc., all I've noticed is that it's more stable at high speeds, but haven't pushed it around corners so have no idea if the reduced travel is offset by the lower centre of gravity. I feel no difference in travel from the driver's seat over bumps, etc. It hasn't scraped anything yet so that's not an issue at this time. For alignment, I went with the manual's race alignment of the following measured with all tools and full fuel tank:

Front:
Camber: -2d0m
Toe: 0m
Fender height: 25.5"
Factory measuring point height: 95mm

Rear:
Camber: -2d30m
Toe: 12m each side for a total of 24m
Fender height: 26"
Factory measuring point height: 120mm

[/QUOTE

I originally went 11 or 12mm but I can't remember exactly and the car handled very badly. I think that we finished off at 6 mm. It should be in some old posts but I don't have time to search sorry/
Old 08-29-2007, 08:15 PM
grussell
Pro

By lowering the car you are changing the A arm geometry. Unless you change the uprights to Cup parts I would not drop the car below the Porsche recommended heights.

WM 4400TW Adjustment values for suspension alignment Technical values

Location Description Type Basic value Tolerance 1 Tolerance 2
Front axle height Adjustment value 108 mm + 5 mm - 0 mm

Rear axle height Adjustment value 133 mm + 5 mm - 0 mm

Vehicle height

Note

The following values relate to the empty weight, i.e. full fuel tank/fluid reservoirs, vehicle with tools, but without driver or additional weights!

Vehicle height 911 GT3/911 GT3 RS (997) RoW/USA

Front axle

Height with 19-inch wheels
→ Adjustment value: 108 mm+ 5 mm- 0 mm → :

From road contact surface to lower edge of hexagon-head bolt of cross-member threaded connection to the body.

Rear axle

Height with 19-inch wheels
→ Adjustment value: 133 mm+ 5 mm- 0 mm → :

From wheel contact surface to the locating bore in the rear-axle side section (between toe and camber eccentrics).

Permitted transverse inclination of the vehicle: Max. difference in height, left to right = 5 mm.

Max. wheel-load difference from right to left on front and rear axle is 15 kg.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Wanted to give an update in case anyone reads this and goes down the same path. After driving around for a few hundred km, I found the ride height to be too low, especially after the suspension settled (~1/8-1/4" lower) to its proper height.

The problem was the front lip just scraped on everything even when going at an angle as well as large dips in the road. I had a VERY low 993 Turbo so am familiar with how to drive a low car, but the GT3 front lip would just catch on the slightest incline. I videotaped it scraping and realized it only needed another 1/4" or so to clear the problem slopes.

I also found that the car looked kinda funny with this bodystyle being so long and with my car being so low, it made the car look awkward. I just had it raised about 5mm today so the total drop now is ~8mm front and rear and the car looks perfect. Using the factory measuring points, the car is now at 100mm and 125mm front and rear respectively. Stock is 108mm and 133mm. Fender height is tough to measure and a bit erratic, but after the changes, the front is a touch above 25.5" and the rear is a hair above 26".

Hope this helps someone, if I were to do it again, I'd go for the 8mm drop from the beginning.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:24 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good info.

Mighta been too low ... but your car still rocks!

Scott
Old 09-08-2007, 01:26 PM
007GT3
Instructor

I can understand the problem of being too low (who wants to scape the lip going into Starbucks), but amazing looking car nonetheless.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:34 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Thanks 007GT3!

Sorry for those sick of seeing these pics, but I wanted to complete the info in case someone follows the same path. Here is the car at the final height, it works great around town, I can get in and out of all the usual parking lots that I use and it clears all reasonable dips that it was scraping on before.

It's obviously not as aggressive as before, but in some ways, I like this look better as it seems to fit the wheelarches better. In addition, I feel better knowing the control arm angles are closer to what Porsche specs. I've got the first track day on the 16th, so I'll report back if there are any handling issues.

Here are the pics:

Old 09-09-2007, 04:29 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

its only too low if it makes your bum look too big

R+C
Old 09-09-2007, 09:21 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Thanks 007GT3!

Sorry for those sick of seeing these pics, but I wanted to complete the info in case someone follows the same path. Here is the car at the final height, it works great around town, I can get in and out of all the usual parking lots that I use and it clears all reasonable dips that it was scraping on before.

It's obviously not as aggressive as before, but in some ways, I like this look better as it seems to fit the wheelarches better. In addition, I feel better knowing the control arm angles are closer to what Porsche specs. I've got the first track day on the 16th, so I'll report back if there are any handling issues....
Thanks for the update. Your car looks better now than when it was "slammed." In fact, once you "harvest those pumpkins" and add clear side markers, your car will be PERFECT!

Quick Reply: Does this look too low?