Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lambo SL beats GT3RS says Evo Mag

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:28 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
German happens to be my native tongue and " RS "does not mean what you think it means. Yes , the direct translation is Rennsport but NOBODY in Germany associates that with a track car...............not in 73 and not now. Back then it was the RSR and now its the RSR/ Cup, some things never change with Porsche.

In other words, what our resident expert pslug964 calls " RS principles of the past" were never any prinicples at all.
I just came back from a DE. Over there I saw an RS America. The car had some cloth bits instead of handles to open the doors from the inside. Those are the "RS principles". Although it did have a sunroof That's the "America" part of the car's name.
I agree that RS doesn't mean that the car is a full race car. That's what the Cup/RSRs are for. But to me it implies are car with minimum of conveniences that serves a purpose of being driven fast. Where the regular 911 is fairly luxurious that car forgoes many of those luxuries. The current 997 doesn't forgo much in terms of luxury. The only non-luxury is the LWFW in the RS. I understand that Porsche can't put lexan windows here. It's not their fault. But why did they have to put sound insulation?
I also don't buy the sunroof excuse of crash tests mandating one.
The Cayenne list the sunroof as an option to pad dealer margins. But you could order one without. I haven't heard of that being done, yet. Do you think they crash tested a sunroofless Cayenne? The market for that is in single digits. The market for sunroofless 911s in in hundreds.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:42 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amaist
I just came back from a DE. Over there I saw an RS America. The car had some cloth bits instead of handles to open the doors from the inside. Those are the "RS principles". Although it did have a sunroof That's the "America" part of the car's name.
I agree that RS doesn't mean that the car is a full race car. That's what the Cup/RSRs are for. But to me it implies are car with minimum of conveniences that serves a purpose of being driven fast. Where the regular 911 is fairly luxurious that car forgoes many of those luxuries. The current 997 doesn't forgo much in terms of luxury. The only non-luxury is the LWFW in the RS. I understand that Porsche can't put lexan windows here. It's not their fault. But why did they have to put sound insulation?
I also don't buy the sunroof excuse of crash tests mandating one.
The Cayenne list the sunroof as an option to pad dealer margins. But you could order one without. I haven't heard of that being done, yet. Do you think they crash tested a sunroofless Cayenne? The market for that is in single digits. The market for sunroofless 911s in in hundreds.
The forced sunroof in the NA GT3 and non sunroof in the NA RS has been explained here before, ad nauseum.

It has nothing to do with crash testing.

The reason there is a sunroof in the GT3 and NOT in the RS is because Porsche could not outfit the RS with the fixed back lighter carbon seats. It promised that the RS would be lighter than the GT3 in ALL markets by 20kg.
In North America the only way Porsche could do that was to make the car the RS is comapred to (ie regular GT3) heavier and it did that by FORCING a weighty sunroof in the standard car.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:15 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
The forced sunroof in the NA GT3 and non sunroof in the NA RS has been explained here before, ad nauseum.

The reason there is a sunroof in the GT3 and NOT in the RS is because Porsche could not outfit the RS with the fixed back lighter carbon seats. It promised that the RS would be lighter than the GT3 in ALL markets by 20kg.
In North America the only way Porsche could do that was to make the car the RS is comapred to (ie regular GT3) heavier and it did that by FORCING a weighty sunroof in the standard car.
So it is even more of a bull**** reason. Excellent.
I wonder if the people who made that decision ever met Porsche owners other than lottery winners or drug dealers? And if they do do they need to hide the nature of their work?
Old 09-04-2007, 03:46 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amaist
So it is even more of a bull**** reason. Excellent.
I wonder if the people who made that decision ever met Porsche owners other than lottery winners or drug dealers? And if they do do they need to hide the nature of their work?
Yeah they know who they are. They are the ones that made Porsche almost go broke.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:01 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by RR

I'm surprised they didn't just put sand bags under the carpet. Would have been even cheaper

Quick Reply: Lambo SL beats GT3RS says Evo Mag