Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:21 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts
Question I've got a problem...help needed

okay I realize I've got about 70 days left before I pick my gt3 up from the factory for euro delivery- but I'm already looking at aftermarket exhaust options...

from the looks of things my choices are:

AWE
Cargraphic
GMG
or -leave it stock and just unplug the sport valve solenoid cord

am I missing any other good options? I have to talk to Ruf here in dallas to see what their plans are. Who's actually installed any of these on their cars? for the guys that installed something- did you try to do the cord unplug first and just go full out?

I know that I've got major psychological issues. Of course after seeing the carbon fiber wing on an RS in person I'm convinced I should get myself that as well- but that's another story.

cheerio
Old 08-24-2007, 08:56 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
okay I realize I've got about 70 days left before I pick my gt3 up from the factory for euro delivery- but I'm already looking at aftermarket exhaust options...

from the looks of things my choices are:

AWE
Cargraphic
GMG
or -leave it stock and just unplug the sport valve solenoid cord

am I missing any other good options? I have to talk to Ruf here in dallas to see what their plans are. Who's actually installed any of these on their cars? for the guys that installed something- did you try to do the cord unplug first and just go full out?

I know that I've got major psychological issues. Of course after seeing the carbon fiber wing on an RS in person I'm convinced I should get myself that as well- but that's another story.

cheerio
AWE or GMG get my vote here. AWE does a complete exhaust that is soon to be out. The GMG replaces part of the exhaust. Looks like the GMG will be louder by far.

Hey, did you hit a homer too Wed nite?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buddy just used GMG and he loves it ... i havent heaqrd it yet but will hear uit this weekend
Old 08-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pick up whatever is the lightest of those choises. And I'd do the whole system (from headers to the end).

P.S. You're doing fine, no doctor needed!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:11 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

CJ, the stock exhaust sounds great, but check out the version from fabspeed sounds absolutely killer.
Chris
you got pm
Old 08-24-2007, 09:39 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

There's not much power to be made with the Gt3 exhaust. I would personally unplug it and drive it that way for at least the break-in period before sinking a bunch of money into what is only a quasi-performance mod.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:21 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
There's not much power to be made with the Gt3 exhaust. I would personally unplug it and drive it that way for at least the break-in period before sinking a bunch of money into what is only a quasi-performance mod.
+ 1 ^^
Old 08-24-2007, 10:38 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at Fabspeed...
Old 08-24-2007, 12:17 PM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock exhaust looks and sounds killer. I wouldnt spend the money on an aftermarket exhaust.

Flash
Old 08-24-2007, 01:09 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree with the Finn that it's about weight reduction, not sound. The car has 3 canisters! All behind the engine.

Lots of weight/polar moment to be saved here.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

my advice, if you are doing euro delivery go by Manthey Racing at the Nurburgring and check out their exhaust system for the 997 failing that go with Cargraphic
Old 08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

thanks guys-

larry- I will check out mantheny and RUF while I'm in germany but I'm pretty sure I can't actually install anything aftermarket on the car before I get it home in the states...maybe I could check it out and then have them mail it to me?
Old 08-26-2007, 12:28 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

C.J.

Manthey did a load of work on Paul's (Old Gyuy's) 996 GT3, including exhaust I think. I drove his car and it is a beast. Sounded really mean. You might want to ask Paul about his thoughts.

I assumed you have driven the GT3. IMHO, the OEM exhaust sounds great. But then may be a Fabspeed of a Menthey can really improve it even more. If you're thinking HP and sound, tnen you've to consider the whole system: headers to exhaust. May be even a chip flash.

CP
Old 08-26-2007, 12:46 AM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 930man
buddy just used GMG and he loves it ... i havent heaqrd it yet but will hear uit this weekend
I had the GMG installed on mine last week... the sound is WONDERFUL! It really wakes this car up, I'm very happy with it.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:59 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

CJ as Pong said Manthey was unreal on the 996 but I havent seen anything for the 997 from there.
Fabryce of GMG is swearing that once I hear the GMG exhasut I will put one on ASAP. and the AWE guys have posted their results here and I like their engineering approach. I have unplugged and love the sound. This 997 sounds better than my manthey 996 and that was $15K!!! (ECU headers cats muffs)

But as Eclou said there is not much power left to pick up and Porsche did one HELLUVA job with this exhaust. So seeing as you have time-thats going to be in your favor-AWE Manthey and GMG will come up with some more stuff.

I am going down to see Fabryce in Sept and I will take some video for anyone who wants to hear it.
Call me if you need any more info.
Tell your Doctor this is only a mild cold and not morning sickness. You can stay stock and still be OK.
But there will be some good choices once you get your car.

Quick Reply: I've got a problem...help needed