Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Has anyone ordered an 08 RS for MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:32 PM
ebanzero
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ordered an 08 RS for MSRP?

Just wondering if anyone has been able to order an 08 GT3 RS for MSRP? It seems that the 08's are going to command a higher premium than the 07's since they will be last year of production. Porsche really screwed the 07 owners, me included, by extending the production run. And, what's worse, it that the dealers are the ones going to profit from it. Since they are only going to be getting one 08 at best, they are probably going to sell it to the highest bidder for 40 to 50 over list. It would be nice to see some customers getting them at msrp.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:43 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont think the 08s are going to go higher than the 07's-the guys who HAD to have them at 75K and over have theirs now. The market is slowing and there have been several here that have sold in the 20K and less. The silver with orange trim is really slowing down. One was on ebay yesterday with 1 day left at $130K less than MSRP. If I wanted a RS at close to MSRP now (an 07) I would look hard at the silver issue.
I am sure there are some customers that have their 08s at MSRP. The way I understand it they all have to be sold at MSRP then the buyer sells it back to the dealer THEN he makes his 40-50K over price.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:13 PM
ebanzero
Instructor

Actually I think that a guy that did not buy one yet, and is willing to pay 20 to 25 over, which is where the market on 07's is right now, would be willing to pay another 15 to have the 08 instead. The last year of a production run always sells for more than the year before. Sure there are those that just want the car to track or drive and they will take an 07. But those who have to have the newest will pay more. As far as the dealer having to sell the car at msrp and then buy it back to resell, I know of many cases where the dealers have sold the cars for over list the first time out.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ebanzero
Porsche really screwed the 07 owners, me included, by extending the production run.
No, they did not.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At least the dealer(s) who didn't try to screw people over with higher than MSRP prices on '07s, sold '08s for MSRP.

And I agree with OG.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
No, they did not.
+1 How did the dealer screwed '07 owners? Are they obliged to do only one year run if you buy one? Are are they required to tell their intentions to you? Or?

BTW, you can't say Porsche "extended" the production run when it was planned (although not published to general public) to be '07 & '08 from the beginning.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:01 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There is no mecahnical or cosmetic difference in RS so an 08 with no miles is only marginally more attractive than a 08 with no miles.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
There is no mecahnical or cosmetic difference in RS so an 08 with no miles is only marginally more attractive than a 08 with no miles.
It would only make a difference to a short-term flipper.

Over time, I imagine the (apparently now available) classic and slightly more subtle white/blue and white/red color schemes will have more of a positive effect on resale value than model year.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:22 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Alan
I agree
Old 08-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Freddie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Alan
I agree
I may be niave, but I thought that porsche dealers are prohibitted from selling over MSRP. I think the finance guy at my dealership told me that.

Makes since to me, that is why they have MSRP.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:42 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Legally, the dealer is an independent entity from the manufacturer and cannot be compelled to charge a particular price. Hence the S in MSRP.

Porsche could "gently coerce" the dealers to stick to an MSRP limit via the allocation mechanism but as long as the dealers are bringing home the bacon, why not keep the dealers happy. Customers be damned...
Old 08-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Freddie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Legally, the dealer is an independent entity from the manufacturer and cannot be compelled to charge a particular price. Hence the S in MSRP.

Porsche could "gently coerce" the dealers to stick to an MSRP limit via the allocation mechanism but as long as the dealers are bringing home the bacon, why not keep the dealers happy. Customers be damned...
I would argue that it should be porsche that should raise the MSRP then, not the dealers.

Porsche wants to capture long term clients, distinguish itself from Ferrari, and be legitimate. I think dealers selling over MSRP is kind of sleazy.

I am sure that there is a contract between them which limits abuse of the MSRP. Porsche could retaliate by restricting allocations or worse, revoking the dealership.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:08 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What I have seen locally is the dealer principal buying the car personally then selling it as a "used" car with just delivery miles on it for a premium and never having left the showroom.
Slight of hand but that's what I've seen...
Old 08-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Freddie
I think dealers selling over MSRP is kind of sleazy.
I don't. For every GT3RS they sell at over MSRP, they sell 50 Boxsters/Caymen/Cayennes/Carreras at under MSRP. It's called supply and demand, and that's the way the free market economy works.

Now, if a dealer agrees to sell a car to a buyer at MSRP and renegs because somebody is waving more money at him, that's a different story.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:40 PM
G car
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ordered 08 RS, Oct. production at MSRP. No mark up and plan to keep it.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

G When did you order it and where (dont have to give us the dealer but state maybe city
would be cool)

Quick Reply: Has anyone ordered an 08 RS for MSRP?