Have not yet opened the "hole" on the 3 since

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:54 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
It would be nice to get the 997s with a gt3 engine, even a 380hp version. Would it outsell gt3's and tt's.......maybe?
It's available already, it's called the 997 GT3. Comes with PASM, sunroof, navi, power seats and nice sound system. It's just missing the rear seats.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Is there a way to get a GT3 with no electronic nonsense whatsoever? I mean an engine computer, a radio, and some windows..and thats it.

?
Old 08-19-2007, 10:36 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Is there a way to get a GT3 with no electronic nonsense whatsoever? I mean an engine computer, a radio, and some windows..and thats it.

?

Yes; its called a Cup Car....
Old 08-19-2007, 11:36 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

You know what I have owned a 993 TT which I had track prepared-I have owned a Manthey 410 Kit 996 GT3-RS cltuch and LWFW track prepared and now finally the best of them all the plain jane 997 GT3.

Last nite I was in the foothills of the Sierras on a new paved road at dusk in 85 degree weather with the sunroof open and the motor at full song carving up the twisties. Its hands down the most competent car I have ever owned. Period. The best looking. Period. The most fun to drive. Period. Unless you have a professional contract with ALMS my opinion is as good as any. Those of you who still whine about the sunroof you must be good enough to call GMG racing and get your own pro-contract get yourself in a CUP car or RSR and be done with it. Otherwise please go to Nappa and take your wine with you. I am going out to enjoy, simply put, the best car Porsche has ever made. Sunroof open or closed it dont matter because I cant hear you at 8400 RPM.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:05 AM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
It would be nice if your posts were informative once in a while instead of just bitter.

Seems like the mortgage business blues have you down.
You don't know me, but for the record, I am not in the biz. Please stick to what you know.

Tell us Mr Testosterone, how much time does your overpriced TT (and now low-valued) spend vanquishing GT-3's on the track? And how often with you at the wheel?
They are all overpriced, and thankfully I didn't pay the 200K that the original sticker demanded. You however, are completely missing the point. The new GT3 is the 993 C2S equivalent. Tell me again what the thinner carpet is for?

PAG disrepects its US customers for good reason, they forced the sunroof down everyone's throat, and everyone bent over and took it. Everywhere else can you order it without, except here, the largest market for PAG.

As far as vanquishing, no one is vanquishing anything unless one does it for a living. And BTW, I don't know where you get the idea, but I am loving every minute of mortgage and real estate implosion that was long over due. And in time, PAG will be pimp slapped in sales when the funny money is gone, and enthusiast with long memory (me) will remember when they couldn't spec a supposed track purpose car without a hole that made driving on the track a pain in the *** for some of us taller guys with shorter inseams.

Remember the days of brand new 993 languishing on the lot for 9 months?

Premium sound is not available on my car, but was it on yours?. Don't have heated seats either, do you? (however,in truth, what is it you have against them?)
The point is why bother having thinner carpets, less sound deadening, a trunk that can't carry meat or fish, when all that weight saving gets put back and then some at the worst possible location.

Gee, I thought GT-2's were water-cooled.
Or course. But you and I both know that's not what I am talking about. There are only three 911's worth a damn, since the rest of the waser pumpers don't even come with a real 911 engine.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:11 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Last nite I was in the foothills of the Sierras on a new paved road at dusk in 85 degree weather with the sunroof open and the motor at full song carving up the twisties. Its hands down the most competent car I have ever owned. Period. The best looking. Period. The most fun to drive. Period. Unless you have a professional contract with ALMS my opinion is as good as any. Those of you who still whine about the sunroof you must be good enough to call GMG racing and get your own pro-contract get yourself in a CUP car or RSR and be done with it. Otherwise please go to Nappa and take your wine with you. I am going out to enjoy, simply put, the best car Porsche has ever made. Sunroof open or closed it dont matter because I cant hear you at 8400 RPM.
Tell us, what is the point of putting thinner carpets, less sound deadening, CF this, AL that parts when all you do is put all that weight saved back in the worst possible location?

I have a friend who is my height, and he unfortunately bought an E46 M3 with a hole. He had to sit further back, in a awkward *** position to drive on the track.

So, you want your sunroof, NAV, heated seats, "premium stereo" (premium, ha, not if you have a decent system at home), power everything.

Some of us like stripper cars, I have been ordering mine that way since E36 M3 days.

And with the disappearing HELOC funny money, some of us have long memories, and remember the days when a brand new 993 sat for 9 month without a buyer. You voted with your wallet, and I mine.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:12 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by leif997
Yes; its called a Cup Car....
Alternatively, it's called, the 996.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:13 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
It's available already, it's called the 997 GT3. Comes with PASM, sunroof, navi, power seats and nice sound system. It's just missing the rear seats.
They really might as well put tippy magic tronic as an option.

This GT3 is the modern equivalent of 993 C2S with M030, whereas the 996 GT3 is closer to the old RS.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:24 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stuka
Alternatively, it's called, the 996.
And I'm missing the point?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Unless you have a professional contract with ALMS my opinion is as good as any. Those of you who still whine about the sunroof you must be good enough to call GMG racing and get your own pro-contract get yourself in a CUP car or RSR and be done with it. .
A few of us actually had our 997 GT-3's to the track with ALMS drivers. My instructor actually placed third at the Road America ALMS race the weekend before.

None of these A+++ drivers ever complained once about the weight or luxuriousness of the cars. They just went out and tore up the track like the other guys were in VW's. They had nothing but praise for the car that I heard. Had a great time in these "Pigs" that are really just "C2S's".

Fellas the horse is dead. If you want an ultralight, get a Lotus.

Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, BMW, M-B, Audi...none of them make anything like what you're asking for. They must not think the market's there.

Buy a mule, gut it and do what you like, but to keep bitching on and on...you won't change a thing.

I get it, you're just such a strong driver that you need all that to go fast, unlike the ALMS gang.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:45 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

I get it, you're just such a strong driver that you need all that to go fast, unlike the ALMS gang.
You are still not understanding why many of us don't want a stupid hole in the roof.

We don't want to set lap records. Please remember that. We could drive the car with a hole just fine (I did with my first M3). Some of us have clearance issues (I had with the M3).

But I rarely drive my GT3 on the street and I like it that way. If I want to hear the engine I roll down the windows. Works great.

I want a car that scares off the clueless nouveau riches. A car that they bitch and moan about. A car they can't pick up prostitutes in. And a car that is fun to drive in the right place at the right time but is a challenge on a normal street. I don't need to drive it to work to show off to others that I have a Porsche 911 with extra letters on the back.

But I repeat. I don't want a Cup car. I know it's awesome. Hell, there is a guy in our chapter with a RSR. Now that is even cooler. But I want a license plate on the car just because it makes it easier to live with. I don't live in the boonies and they won't let me park the trailer in front of the house. And I don't want to live in the boonies.

I someone made a street legal Cup car I'd hit it as soon as I could figure out how to pay for it.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

They really might as well put tippy magic tronic as an option.

This GT3 is the modern equivalent of 993 C2S with M030, whereas the 996 GT3 is closer to the old RS.
You anti-997GT3 guys are killing me!! If you don't like the car don't buy one!! Your loss, someone elses gain!
Old 08-20-2007, 11:28 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
A car they can't pick up prostitutes in. .
Hey, now.....let's not get hasty, OK?

(now that I think about it, the "hole" might come in handy.....
Old 08-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tell us, what is the point of putting thinner carpets, less sound deadening, CF this, AL that parts when all you do is put all that weight saved back in the worst possible location?...
The carpeting actually ain't that light and the sound deadening is just about the same...
Maybe they're total of 1 lbs lighter so that marketing can say it's lighter but not in any meaningful way it's lighter.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by amaist
You are still not understanding why many of us don't want a stupid hole in the roof.

We don't want to set lap records. Please remember that. We could drive the car with a hole just fine (I did with my first M3). Some of us have clearance issues (I had with the M3).

But I rarely drive my GT3 on the street and I like it that way. If I want to hear the engine I roll down the windows. Works great.

I want a car that scares off the clueless nouveau riches. A car that they bitch and moan about. A car they can't pick up prostitutes in. And a car that is fun to drive in the right place at the right time but is a challenge on a normal street. I don't need to drive it to work to show off to others that I have a Porsche 911 with extra letters on the back.

But I repeat. I don't want a Cup car. I know it's awesome. Hell, there is a guy in our chapter with a RSR. Now that is even cooler. But I want a license plate on the car just because it makes it easier to live with. I don't live in the boonies and they won't let me park the trailer in front of the house. And I don't want to live in the boonies.

I someone made a street legal Cup car I'd hit it as soon as I could figure out how to pay for it.
Why do you keep droning on like an adolescent who can't have the car keys? "Whaaaa, you don't understand...whaaaa"

It seems You do not "understand". Porsche doesn't make that car. No one has seen a test mule either. It appears they have no intention to cater to that market.

If you want "that" car, you'll have to look elsewhere. That's all.

No one is invalidating your tastes or needs. No one doesn't "understand". You and some others have been droning on for a year now about the stinking sunroof. Buy a different car, get over it or something.

Just stop the redundant crying about it if you can. Seems like many threads over the past year have degenerated into this same tar-pit of complaints because Porsche won't specifically make a car some think they want.

Quick Reply: Have not yet opened the "hole" on the 3 since