Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Have not yet opened the "hole" on the 3 since

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:29 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking of real estate, think of the 911 as a once characterful neighbourhood where all the yuppies have moved in -- GT3 was just the last house to sell.

PS: 997GT3 is a great car, and nobody here is saying otherwize; if it were called a C2S there wouldn't be all this debate. All other 997s should be like the GT3.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:56 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

If you want something really raw and light, it would be easier to build it yourself from some older platform. The GT3/RS is far closer to a TT than a 73 RS.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:56 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

jeez, such hostility over all of these nice cars...with or without a hole!! Can't we all "just get along"?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

What's next after sunroof a targa then a convertible GT3. I don't even know what happened how sunroof was even a suggestion for the GT3. All 3 of my cars gt3/gti/mini have no sunroofs and my wife's peeper has a panoroof for ****s/giggles-hardly open it. Wait til after a few years that thing be creaking like crazy. mike
Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Stuka I dont buy the height arguement. Having owned both and having some TALL drivers in both, the
997 has lower seats and I have more head room in the 997 than I did in the 996 with no hole. If you are as tall as Shaq then open it up you get another couple inches.

Algretto I hope you realize I was arguing in your favor. My point is this is not a real race car and neither was my 996 GT3-it is a great track car. My point was if your good enough to notice any difference in a sunroof GT3 and a non sunroof car you should be good enough to get a drivers slot in ALMS. In that case if youre that good then you should get a Cup car. 4Curves was and did. He gave his GT3 to his wife and she tracks it.

I was one that argued that point that the car should not have the sunroof, but I bought it anyway- I have changed my mind because of the cars ability-its that good. I was wrong.
I would have made a huge mistake by not buying one because of that. There is nothing in my limited abilities that could tell any difference. I can tell however how much better the 997 is..
Old 08-21-2007, 12:12 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Stuka I dont buy the height arguement. Having owned both and having some TALL drivers in both, the
997 has lower seats and I have more head room in the 997 than I did in the 996 with no hole. If you are as tall as Shaq then open it up you get another couple inches.

Algretto I hope you realize I was arguing in your favor. My point is this is not a real race car and neither was my 996 GT3-it is a great track car. My point was if your good enough to notice any difference in a sunroof GT3 and a non sunroof car you should be good enough to get a drivers slot in ALMS. In that case if youre that good then you should get a Cup car. 4Curves was and did. He gave his GT3 to his wife and she tracks it.

I was one that argued that point that the car should not have the sunroof, but I bought it anyway- I have changed my mind because of the cars ability-its that good. I was wrong.
I would have made a huge mistake by not buying one because of that. There is nothing in my limited abilities that could tell any difference. I can tell however how much better the 997 is..
In spite of what some have posted, I do understand...I've owned 911's since the mid-80's. This one is the best!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:40 AM
RS 197
Pro

The GT3 is a wonderfull car. It is the best daily driver in the world. It is fast, nimble and a joy to drive.

I love the sunroof, stereo, lap timer, comfy seats, AC, tracktion control, PASAM............

On the track it is fast, but not really a track car in my opinion. not to say that it is not a blast to drive on the track, but not a track focused car by any means.

Get over it guy's, this car is here to stay. I have talked to few that own one, drove one, that do not love the car.

Thank you Porsche for giving me a GT3....Second to none ( on the street )
Old 08-21-2007, 12:51 AM
stuka
Pro

The fixed GT seats are not at the lowest position as your regular sport seats.

Also, let me introduce you to the concept of inseam.

When I was single I dated two girls who are 6'2" with 36" inseam (the other is more like 37" since the jeans is a tad short), they had tons of headroom in my holed 996 Turbo.

I am also 6'2" but with 32" inseam, with helmet on I regularly bumped into the front of the headliner as well as the side. I barely fit in the non holed 996 GT2 with the fixed GT seat.

You like your holed GT3, I don't like GT3's with holes. They smell like modern day 993 C2S equivalent to me.

Oh, and holed cars creaks like no tomorrow going up a drive way, bumps, berms, what have you. And as someone who have tracked holed and no holed cars, I am speaking from experience.

I am happy that you like your holed GT3, but a holed GT3 does not make me happy. And the RS is not different enough to justify the premium. So, I do the only effective thing that I can, not buy the new one. And mark my words, when all the HELOC coxster, caveman, tippy magic tronic wet sumper sales start slumping, I will be letting them know that they could have had my money, if only they didn't disrespect us mericans so much by shoving a hole down everyone's throat.

Boy are their stock hodlers going to be pissed when a new GT3 sat on the lot for 9 months like in the 90's.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by RS 197
The GT3 is a wonderfull car. It is the best daily driver in the world. It is fast, nimble and a joy to drive.
DING DING DING!

The 996 is not that daily, not for anyone who is not really into their GT cars. I should know, when my beater was in service, I actually drove the GT2 every single day of the week. Bumps, 4 hour LA traffic some days, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I love the sunroof, stereo, lap timer, comfy seats, AC, tracktion control, PASAM............
And I love the crappy AC, fixed one pice roof, stiff *** clutch, crappy stereo, and loud as **** cabin. That, is a 911 like it has always been, 930, 964, 993.

And traction control? Yep, going main stream because too many are stuffing themselves and their cars into the walls and guard rails.

The GT cars used to require some semblence of RWD competence. Now, when **** happens, you are likely to take out other guys at the track because the speed will be so much higher when it happens, given the false sense of talent that the TC gives people.

On the track it is fast, but not really a track car in my opinion. not to say that it is not a blast to drive on the track, but not a track focused car by any means.
It's a modern day 993 C2S equivalent. You would not say that about a 996 GT anything.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:13 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Man u gotta let this go if PAG sees this or ne Federaliztion unit they are going to push the envelope. Wait and see if next GT3 998 etc-it's going to have sunroof/ rear seats and all. What's next - people complaining about front lip scraping-u want height adjustment too ie Cayenne? C'mon it's gotta stop somewhere. Mike
Old 08-21-2007, 01:18 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Man u gotta let this go if PAG sees this or ne Federaliztion unit they are going to push the envelope. Wait and see if next GT3 998 etc-it's going to have sunroof/ rear seats and all. What's next - people complaining about front lip scraping-u want height adjustment too ie Cayenne? C'mon it's gotta stop somewhere. Mike
Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-21-2007, 01:55 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thankfully, the best current Porsche platform can't have a sunroof due to the roof shape. It's decently light despite of the bulky seats, 50 lbs battery, heavy wheels, iron brakes and heavy exhaust.

It just needs another 100 Hp and a Limited Slip differential.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:06 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

It'll have a mandatory nav screen any year now. And 50 pages of fru-fru options. And a few more nannies.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wound up with a moon roof...

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Thankfully, the best current Porsche platform can't have a sunroof due to the roof shape. It's decently light despite of the bulky seats, 50 lbs battery, heavy wheels, iron brakes and heavy exhaust.

It just needs another 100 Hp and a Limited Slip differential.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:26 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by allegretto
No one is invalidating your tastes or needs. No one doesn't "understand". You and some others have been droning on for a year now about the stinking sunroof. Buy a different car, get over it or something.
I did buy a different car.

I love the look of the 997. And it is a great car. But it could have been so much better. Imagine dropping 300 lbs out of that car and making it a clacking snarling beast. Would scare the **** out of yuppies.
If we don't whine everyone will think the 997 GT3 is as perfect as it can be.

Quick Reply: Have not yet opened the "hole" on the 3 since