CONFUSED

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:59 PM
oh yea
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CONFUSED

OK

drawing from the experience of others this is how it is shaping up.

For the track :

Use track spec allignment in the owner's manual.
Purchase 1 or 2 sets of 18" wheels that are track worthy and get some r compound tires but not slicks.

Will i need to lower the car for the 18"?
Will the ride height work for everyday driving?
can i put the OEM's back on for street use and not worry about allignment .
Do i need another set of 18 for street use?

Looking to pull the trigger so any dealers out there with a solution please PM

Thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Use track spec alignment in the owner's manual: yes, at least as a starting point,then dial it to what you like, everyone drives differently. i prefer a slightly under steering car, for example.

Purchase 1 or 2 sets of 18" wheels that are track worthy and get some r compound tires but not slicks:, yes. you need much stiffer suspension, heim joints to really benefit from slicks. sure you can run them on stock suspension, but you wont benefit all that a slick can offer.

Will i need to lower the car for the 18"?, you dont have to lower the car just b/c you change from 19 to 18, b/c in theory the overall rolling diameter is the same or almost the same. however, you do have to chk ride height and corner balance it to your liking regardless of wheel sizes. once you find the right ht, you can use that for both 18 or 19" set up, unless you car at pro level than perhaps 1/2mm ride ht will be a difference b/n ALMS podium or losing your job.

Will the ride height work for everyday driving? depends on where you live. i use my lip spoiler as snow plow. 1/2 of it is ratted up.

can i put the OEM's back on for street use and not worry about allignment, yes. that's what i do some times. but the car is aligned with 18" track wheel/tires. if i have to compromise, i will compromise the street set up for my use. you have to decide what back spacing you want on the RS. you can do same as stock and always keep the spacer on the hub so you can swap b/n oem 19" and aftermkt 18" without taking the spacer on/off and use same bolts. if you chose to eliminate the spacer with aftermkt wheels then if you do want to put oem back, you need to put back the spacers and you need longer bolts (the stock bolts), while you need shorter than oem bolts for aftermkt wheels since you no longer have the spacer.

Do i need another set of 18 for street use? you dont need to. but i plan to et another set of 18" and just never use my oem 19".
Old 08-06-2007, 10:00 PM
oh yea
Instructor

Mooty,

Thanks big time for the responce and expertise .

Looks like one set of 18's setup for PCCB's and spacers so i can just switch back to OEM for now.

Any recommendations
Old 08-06-2007, 10:07 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

if you go with hoosiers on 18 (245/35, 315/30) the car will be lower 0.4/0.35 inches f/r.

Last edited by doc2s; 08-06-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:52 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oh yea
OK

drawing from the experience of others this is how it is shaping up.

For the track :

Use track spec allignment in the owner's manual.
Purchase 1 or 2 sets of 18" wheels that are track worthy and get some r compound tires but not slicks.

Will i need to lower the car for the 18"?
Will the ride height work for everyday driving?
can i put the OEM's back on for street use and not worry about allignment .
Do i need another set of 18 for street use?

Looking to pull the trigger so any dealers out there with a solution please PM

Thanks
Having been an amatuer icthyologist, tell us about your avatar.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:29 AM
soarteeth
Advanced

Originally Posted by allegretto
Having been an amatuer icthyologist, tell us about your avatar.

Having had a saltwater tank could it be a spotted grouper???
Old 08-08-2007, 02:44 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like my old reef tank. I spent a year and $5000 getting my reef tank up and healthy. I had a breeding pair of tomato clowns in an purple anenome-2 sea clams, shrimp some beautiful tangs, soft and hard corals, all kinds of live rock. The corrilane algae was just starting to grow on the glass and the pumps, the corals were dropping polyps -everything was healthy (see where this is going?)
My 12 year old was 3-the 17 year old was 8. They thought it would be cool to play hockey in the formal living room with baseball bats. ( I had no knowledge of this grand scheme until it was too late)
The three year old tried scoring from the blue line and on his follow through hit the tank. It cracked and I watched helplessly as the crack grew and gave way.
60 gallons of salt water and fish on the floor. I was able to save almost everything in coolers and transer it to a 30 gallon tank but it went downhill from there. I gave it all back to the pet store owner
and he gave me 2 lizards. A breeding pair of fat tailed geckos. Worth $120. We still have the female.
My son named her Lizzy and the dad Larry. Larry died 3 years ago. Both children are still alive however.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:03 AM
oh yea
Instructor

Took that picture in Truk lagoon a few years back . The miniatus was hanging out and as i'm getting ready to take his picture the Moray comes from behind him over his back and i took the shot . Never seen the two together before or sense.
I can relate on the reef tank i've had a few but gave them up cause i'm to lazy to take care of them as they should be .
Old 08-08-2007, 08:05 AM
oh yea
Instructor

Mooty are those 18's on your car if so did you lower the car etc. Looks great!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:55 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Mooty are those 18's on your car if so did you lower the car etc. Looks great!
yes, 18" CCW C14 wheels.
car has been lowered by my suspension guy, i dont know how much and car isn't here to measure.

however, he didn't drop the car more when i moved from 19 to 18 wheels.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:10 AM
oh yea
Instructor

mooty,

Ok so he lowered the car with the 19's on and then you put the 18's on correct?

So if you wanted you could put the 19's on without issue other than the car being optimized for 18's and track via allignment
Old 08-09-2007, 01:08 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

yes
Old 08-10-2007, 01:46 PM
oh yea
Instructor

did one day at VIR yesterday 107 in the shade. Not quit sure how to put it not real good at that sort of stuff but i won't be getting rid of this f-car killer anytime soon.
Had safety eq installed running oem 19's no allignmnet . ran PASM no sport no TC and i'm still in a org haze the car is awesome!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:50 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did one day at VIR yesterday 107 in the shade. Not quit sure how to put it not real good at that sort of stuff but i won't be getting rid of this f-car killer anytime soon.
Had safety eq installed running oem 19's no allignmnet . ran PASM no sport no TC and i'm still in a org haze the car is awesome!!!
That's pretty much my situation too. Just like it came out of the showroom and it's already very impressive.

Running Monday with Wolf Henzler, so this should be quite an experience!

Quite a vehicle.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:00 PM
oh yea
Instructor

OK i'll bite who is Wolf Henzler

Quick Reply: CONFUSED