Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Heads Up - GT2 now on Porsche US site

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:47 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

PSM is less of a driver aid than ABS and no one here is bitching about ABS.

Any 996 or 997 based street car (tho there are some great ones and I have owned a few) are CADILLACS next to a real race car.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:19 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by stuka
The 997 GT2 PSM actually can be completely disabled, thank goodness. Oh, and not only that, it won't magically turns itself back on when it thinks you need help.
So why won't it be as interesting to drive as your GT2?
But, I still don't see why it needs to be there.
Think a little more broadly. What about a winter drive when you aren't trying to be a hero and black ice rears it's ugly head? If you are so unfortunate, you'll wish you had it.
If you don't have the basics down and try to drive like a hero, the car SHOULD pimp slap you like a little ... and send you to the ditch via FedEx.
If you want Porsche to keep building better more powerful cars, then it's in your best interest that they are equipped with systems to protect those without your driving skills. Else the lawyers will shut it down.
The DOT regulation is not yet law.
Not sure what you mean by this.

dave
Old 08-02-2007, 06:34 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
PSM is less of a driver aid than ABS and no one here is bitching about ABS.
That's true.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Electronics have allowed hamfisted drivers to think that they are fast, and cause spectacular crashes, think shooting across the track backwards, hitting the armoco, then shooting forward back into the track where cars are still going more than 100mph while the corner worker is furiously waving the yellow.

Guys like that would have had had to learn how to actually drive their cars if they didn't have electornics. And they would have had their oh **** moment at a much slower speed, at the slower group, where it is safer. Rather than pulling stunts like that and causing all of us to lose track time.
Blame the organization that put these people in fast run groups...don't blame the car or the safety devices it has for street use.

Preach all you want about how much you hated PSM in your 996 Turbo...but the system has evolved and improved in the five years since.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wouldn't mind a pair of those seats.

I guess they had to show it in black to "de-emphasise" the radiator gills they borrowed from Saleen.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:36 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you driven a GT2? Have you driven one on the track? How about a Turbo? How many track days have you had with these cars?

I posted about my experience and why I think PSM sucks, and all you can muster up is "get over yourself?"

How about contributing something from your experience driving the GT2 or the Turbo?
Well you can't even compare the two obviously, my stock 996TT was scary on a tight technical course LOL, suspension wallow and so on, PSM cutting in and so on!

After the suspension fully setup and so on though its a world of a difference, still not a GT2, 2 different worlds!

Quick Reply: Heads Up - GT2 now on Porsche US site