Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Aquaplaning in a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:04 AM
princetonporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aquaplaning in a GT3

Just read in Car Magazine (August issue) about a bad crash in a GT3 after going through a area of standing water. Had his 11 year old in the car. Both escaped unscathed (had no cost option roll cage) but this makes me think twice about driving on NJ roads during thunderstorms. A lot of the country roads do not have adequate drainage. Sorry, I don't own a scanner to attach the article.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was driving to Houston last month when I found myself in the middle of a big rain strom. I slowed down just like everybody. However, The car was definetly twitchy. A couple of times I went through 2-3 inches of standing water and the car literally skipped laterally. I would guess a few inches. I was driving in full alert mode and made it safely. However, it was definetly scary. I drove back from Houston last wknd in a a light rain storm without any issues. I was driving at the speed limit or slightly above the speed limit. A full all out Texas thundestorm is a whole different experience.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:33 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

and that is why I have ordered a set of BBS wheels that will be shod with PS2 tires for daily (well somewhat daily) driving.... much better in the wet. Better yet if I know its going to rain, I'll leave the GT3 at home.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:43 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, it sounds like alternate plans are required for rain driving.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:53 AM
tocho1
Instructor

I read the article too...but the guy admits he was doing 70mph and it was really pouring...sometimes slowing down a little is not a bad thing
Old 07-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Yea, it sounds like alternate plans are required for rain driving.
I disagree. I think you can manage it. The truck you passed 10 mins ago in the dry is going to pass you in the rain. You just have to put your ego in check, slow down a bit and be more cautious. I still wouldn't want to be caught in a big storm in the GT3 but it is manageable.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

That's why I have a set of RS98's coming with PS2's.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:53 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It was interesting that the author of the column never mentioned the tires: wear level, tread depth, PSC or not, nothing. In my experience, full tread-depth GT3-spec PSCs are pretty good in the rain; no untoward experiences from here.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:35 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as a rule of thumb, standing water deeper than the average tread depth will cause hydroplaning at roughly nine times the square root of the tire pressure in psi. if your lowest tire pressure is 32psi, you will hydroplane at about 50mph if the water is deep enough.

if you're concerned / caught in a storm, you can increase your tire pressures to aid hydroplaning resistance. no matter how deep the water / how slick the tread, you will generally be safe at 45mph.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:12 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

To be honest north american roads all have very poor drainage. I find in my Range Rover with a heavy downpour I also have to be careful with puddles.
Anywhere you have water build up, no matter how deep your tread is, you will aqua plane if you are travelling too fast.
This isn't a GT3 problem, this is a road maintenance/engineering and licensing problem. When you get a licence in NA I dont think there is any mention of aquaplaning education.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
I disagree. I think you can manage it. The truck you passed 10 mins ago in the dry is going to pass you in the rain. You just have to put your ego in check, slow down a bit and be more cautious. I still wouldn't want to be caught in a big storm in the GT3 but it is manageable.
I do it all the time. First, avoid standing water and plot your course so that you best avoid it. On 4 lane roads (not highway), pick the inside lane to avoid water.

Slow down and be cognizant of what the car tells you and watch for pooling water. Always assume standing water is deep.

Leave a place to put your car if you have an emergency. Always have an emergency plan as you drive. Know when the risk factor is high and when it is low. Think about what you would do if something goes wrong.

Watch other traffic and plan accordingly.

Keep an eye on your tires. They wear faster than you think and increase your risk of hydroplaning.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:45 PM
normank
Racer

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
It was interesting that the author of the column never mentioned the tires: wear level, tread depth, PSC or not, nothing. In my experience, full tread-depth GT3-spec PSCs are pretty good in the rain; no untoward experiences from here.
That is the same as my experience in a torrential downpour coming through the Everglades. At a reasonable speed (+/- 50 MPH) I did not experience any issues. Driving at high speed in bad conditions is just looking for trouble.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:59 PM
jsdkms
Advanced

What tires did he have on the car - Cups or PS2'S?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:37 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

That's why here in NJ I drive on PS2's. Save the N-MPSCs for the track.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:00 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

speeding in that kind of weather with your kid in the car on summer performance tires....moron....there is no substitute....instead of panning the car he should be on his knees to Dr. Porsche for the engineering that saved his stupid ***....

Quick Reply: Aquaplaning in a GT3