Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

F430 in flames

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:21 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It can happen to late-model Porsches, too. I watched a Cayman shoot out a huge plume of flame recently. Appeared to be an oil line bursting onto hot brakes. Surprising to me that nothing ignited.
Did you see the same incident I saw at the Streets of Willow?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:18 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by silverboy
are there known cases for newer 911's to experience the same fate?
The model 964 was recalled in 1993 because the resistor for the rear heater blower motor that normally operates to cool the engine after shutoff would heat up if the blower motor had seized and cause the plastic ducting to catch on fire. Porsche added a cutoff-switch to the resistor. The model 993 was recalled because the wire supplier to Porsche tried to "over-engineer" (polite way of putting it) the insulation surrounding the engine wiring harness. The problem was that the elastomer they used was not compatible with the high temperatures experienced in the engine compartment and eventually would catch fire. Porsche changed the wiring insulation to PVC. The model 996TT and GT2 were recalled because a bolt attaching a high-pressure line to the power steering unit would come loose and allow power-steering fluid (pentosin) to leak onto the exhaust and burn the car to ground.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:28 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jason. You're a guru indeed!
Old 07-25-2007, 06:44 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tdf360
Wow, that's a stretch. Why so defensive? Porsche is a great car, you don't have to concoct silly reasons like this one to remain loyal to the marque. How different do you think the percentages are between Porsche and Ferrari in things like this?

Gary
You are correct that it's silly to base maque loyalty on a single incident.

But I'm more interested in your question about the percentages between P and F.

Data is hard to come by, all we have is the internet.

I've been a regular reader of wreckedexotics dot com for 3 or 4 years now. It is no suprise at all to see pictures of burned or still-burning exotic Italian sports cars, every other month or so. Usually they are sitting on the side of the road with no crash damage and the accompanying story (which yes I know cannot be trusted for specifics) tells a similar tale to the original poster's friend - driving along then flames shoot out.

New, near new, older, and sadly very old Ferraris and Lamborghinis all *seem* to have far higher rates of spontaneous combustion than any other make - judging by internet pictures alone.

Porsches, on the other hand, usually make it to these sites with crash damage, often severe yet preserving the passenger compartment. The leading cause is (suprise) driver error. I can't recall the last burned Porsche I've seen on wreckedexotics.

Internet only - I suspect we'd have a lot of insurance company database exploration in order to get real usable numbers.

I can tell you that over on the 928 board here, we have had a few cars damaged and destroyed due to fire. Usually old and brittle fuel lines in the engine compartment are the culprit, but once in a while the aging mass of electrical relays and wiring will short and spark. Lack of maintenance can quickly lead to lack of car for these aging machines, but the problem is not traceable to any design/build flaws.

- Josh
Old 07-25-2007, 07:50 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Still worth a check!

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
.... The model 996TT and GT2 were recalled because a bolt attaching a high-pressure line to the power steering unit would come loose and allow power-steering fluid (pentosin) to leak onto the exhaust and burn the car to ground.
Based upon some observations at Infineon last week I suggest you all check the power steering connections on the GT3/RS.

The leaking (ps) fluid on a car there (GT3) could have had disasterous results. Luckily for the individual involved there was a very competent and senior Porsche mechanic on hand to rescue the day.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:54 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

All in all, I'd rather be in a 430 for a drive and a 911 for a crash!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:52 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by JEC_31
You are correct that it's silly to base maque loyalty on a single incident.

But I'm more interested in your question about the percentages between P and F.

Data is hard to come by, all we have is the internet.

I've been a regular reader of wreckedexotics dot com for 3 or 4 years now.
Which picture of a burning car is wrecked exotics more likely to run, a Ferrari or a Porsche? I'm sure you see what I mean...

Gary
Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Philip in AL
Pro

I've heard that the connection where the fuel line meets the rail, has "come loose" on a few. The factory marks the connection with a line of paint that is easily visible. Every time I get in the car, I glance to make sure that the top and bottom of the "painted" line are still lined up.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:24 AM
hesperus
Racer

video taken by my friend that morning.

you can just barely glimpse my car during the opening title page (white GT3 ahead of the ill fated Ferrari)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vTc-kKEnUU
Old 07-30-2007, 08:56 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Porsche has not always been so intelligent with regards to design. Those familiar with the 944/968 line should be very familiar with the "Car-B-Que" nickname. The steel fuel lines route into the engine bay directly over the exhaust manifold, where they enter the fuel rail via an 90 deg elbow made of rubber. It is no wonder one of the first "mods" us 944 guys do is to put a Halon bottle in the car
Old 07-30-2007, 10:35 AM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Silverboy, how much does a new 430 or 911 cost in Manila?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:53 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Hi,

The Porsche agent sells their P97 GT3 for US$239K. I got mine slightly used from the USA for US$195K. So you guys are very lucky in the US. I have no idea how much the F430 goes for.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:22 PM
007GT3
Instructor

As Paris would say, "That's HOT!"

I agree that anecdotaly I have heard/seen more Ferraris "spontaneous combust" than P-Cars.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:37 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverboy
Hi,

The Porsche agent sells their P97 GT3 for US$239K. I got mine slightly used from the USA for US$195K. So you guys are very lucky in the US. I have no idea how much the F430 goes for.
Wow, you are rich !
Old 08-02-2007, 08:11 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Hey discoganya,

Not rich..I just share the same insane passion that everyone in this forum has for Porsches!

Quick Reply: F430 in flames