Ordered my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 08:51 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Ordered my GT3

Hi All,

I just got my allocation for an '08 yesterday and also put in the order. I really wanted to just get the base car with full leather and nothing else, but I have some reservations about doing that for resale. So my salesman talked me into adding the following options which I really do not want or need:

ORD REF NO : ------- ORDER TYPE : CUSTMR
VIN : ORDER STATUS: ACPORD

Retail
911 GT3 997 810 Price
BASE Porsche Base Model 0.00
B4 Carrara White 0.00
B4 Carrara White 0.00
78 Black Full Leather 0.00
498 Delete Model Designation 0.00
810 Floor Mats - Interior Color 0.00
490 Sound Package Plus 0.00
639 Chrono Package 0.00

So here are my thoughts:

Full Leather - I actually wanted this because it is a $100K car and it seems like it should not have a plastic dash, also the leather dash does look very nice. However, I read that the leather scratches easily, and why pay $3K for something that does nothing for performace?

Sound package - is only $715, is it worth it, or will it just add more rattles and weight to the car? I like the sound of the exhaust personally.

Chrono - on the GT3 it does nothing but add the chrono (all other Porsche models get a sport button with it and other enhancements). To me it is a wart that I will never use. My salesman thinks it is a must have item.

Xenons - I see just fine at night, plus I hate the fact the Porsche makes you get the washer nipples along with them. Would you have a problem with a GT3 if it did NOT have the Xenons?

Are there any options that you think are a must have for most buyers; an option that could really hurt the resale of the car?

To give you an idea of where I am coming from, I currently drive an Elise with a built motor and turbo kit (350 hp on race gas and 1920 lbs) which I have stripped down even more than a standard Elise - I really hate options. My other car is a Cayman S, totally stock. I have owned a Boxster, two 996's and a regular (non-S) 997. If it were up to me, the GT3 would not have a sunroof (did I mention how much I hate options? ). But, I know I will sell the GT3 after a couple of years, and I don't want to outfit it with stupid options (or lack of) so that no one will buy it.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, and yes I did a search already for some feedback.

Stephen
Old 06-08-2007, 09:00 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the allocation and we share a similar philosphopy on options. I requested two: engine and transmission. I think the 3 serves a different market than others and therefore in my opinion less is more. at the end of the day its your car, enjoy
Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would delete the dash wart... sound package - good for long hauls. xenons - not a big deal but damn they are great at speeds at night.

George
Old 06-08-2007, 11:41 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I wouldn't order jack for the next guy..F' him !
Get what YOU want now, if anything I would get the Xenons .
Old 06-09-2007, 12:03 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

^ Same here and screw the salesman with is "must have" wart. Strippers were and will always commend big dollars and the fancy options become freebies when it's time to sell.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:05 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have Xenon's in my 996GT3, and could care less because it only sees the track. If it were to be a street car, I would definitely get them - the added visibility is worth it. Other than that, get what you want... Besides, the sales guy has a vested interest in selling you MORE (nice guy or not)!

-B
Old 06-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJ 996
I wouldn't order jack for the next guy..F' him !
Get what YOU want now, if anything I would get the Xenons .
Agree 100%. Get the Xenons and the nipples painted body color. Never listen to your salesman and only rarely listen to your wife.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:34 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

The full leather option is a bit of a misnomer. There's a lot of additional Alcantara you get when you order full leather. You may or may not like that.

The only option this car really needs is the xenons. Everything else is just fluff. But that's just me (although it sounds like it might be you too!)
Old 06-09-2007, 01:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Full Leather: i hate leather, your call.

Sound package - i like it. 300 miles to the track listening to just exhaust can get old.

Chrono - absolutely POS. i turned down several GT3 allocation (i was getting impatent waiting for RS a few months ago) simply b/c of the wart. if it a has wart of navi, you can sell it to me at 30k below msrp, i would still turn it down. it makes my eyes bleed.

Xenon: i like the light, but hate the nipple.

i have an exige, so coming from where you are, you would and SHOULD take the GT3 straight up with zero option. xenon wouild be the only consideration. i think a zero option GT 3 would be popular in a few years. i know i would buy it.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:14 AM
340Elise
Banned

You guys are great, thank you so much for the feedback!

Due to popular demand, I will get the Xenons and paint the nipples. The sound package I may or may not keep. I don't even need the mats since I have a brand new pair (in the box) in my closet! The leather and chrono are gone; I can put that money to use on some aftermarket wheels, brake pads, real GT3 seats, etc... Do you guys now if 22's fit this car? Just kidding. If I changed the diameter I would only go smaller, but I'm guessing the car was made for the 19's so it is probably best to leave the factory set-up.

My only bling, if you want to call it that, is to get the wheels painted black. However, I believe that if Porsche does it, it will have the silver rim on the lip which I do not want, and it is about $2K. I see no reason why I can't have them painted in black by my local high-end body shop for about $600.00 and get them all black, or maybe powdercoat them.

Now if only Porsche would offer the sunroof delete for '08..............dreaming............

To the mods: The "increase size" and "decrease size" buttons below the message box did not do what I expected. I kept clicking "increase size" and looking in my pants and nothing happened. I sure hope my new GT3 will help with that.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:17 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the factory code to get the nipples painted?

What's the factory code to get it pierced?
Old 06-09-2007, 05:26 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by NSXTC
What's the factory code to get the nipples painted??
CGA

Originally Posted by NSXTC
What's the factory code to get it pierced?
Rip them out and have the bumper plug guy make you some nipple plugs!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

My vote is for zero option. I got xenons and floormats. The floormats are nice but I think the car looks better w/o the xenons and less expnsive to replace... In base format the care is awesome...
Old 06-09-2007, 09:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

If I were to buy a GT3 I would want a zero option car for track only but if I drove the car on the street I would want the Xenons. Over 40 wear contact have to have Xenons! I am not a fan of Porsche factory mats. I have seen aftermarket mats that Ilike much better.
I have full leather in my C2S Cab and the leather on the dash does not scratch but you really do not get a lot. I doubt I will get this option next time around.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Trj
My vote is for zero option. I got xenons and floormats. The floormats are nice but I think the car looks better w/o the xenons and less expnsive to replace... In base format the care is awesome...
yeah, you got the car i want. if you selll, pm me.

Quick Reply: Ordered my GT3