GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Hoosier vs. Toyo RA1 vs. MSPC

For those of you who have tried all of these tires:
How do they compare in:
Longevity?
Lap times?

I ran the stock version of the MSPC last month for 2 days at VIR and I wasn't too impressed with them. Also, I figure they look like they only have 2 or 3 days left in them? Is that normal for a MSPC to last only 4-6 days on track?
Since my Cup car will not be done in time for next weekend, I will be using the 997 GT3. I am trying to decide if I should run the MSPC, use the Toyo RA1's I have (but have not really tried yet) or get some Hoosiers. (I was also considering running some Michelin Slicks - since I have them already for my Cup car - but I am not too sure the stock suspension can handle them. Thoughts on that?)
I was also thinking of getting a roll bar, seats and harnesses shipped overnight to arrive Tuesday so I can install Wed. I had previously decided to not put that stuff in because I figured I would be running the Cup car mostly. But at the rate I am going I will get more days in the 997 than I had planned.
By the way, the rear pads on my PCCB car are mostly used up (approx. 65%-70% gone) after 2 days at the track. Fronts are fine. (Just ordered new set of front and rears just in case).
Old 05-18-2007, 11:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

matt, you got trailer, run hoohoo's just for fun.
for me, i can run equal lap time either with mpsc and RA1, but i am a poor imprecise driver LOL.
RA1 lasts 2x mpsc.
YMMV.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:22 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

My opinion is that if you buy the ultimate trackworthy Porsche, why not use the ultimate trackworthy tires. Hooters for me
Old 05-19-2007, 12:03 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

I just took another look at the mspc's. They are not worn as bad as I thought. Only the front left tire is worn more than I would have thought - but still perfectly usable.
Anyway, I am thinking of trying the Hoosiers/Hoohoos/hooters/whatever you guys nickname them.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:10 AM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt,

I have ran the stock MPSC and did not like them. Tried real MPSC F235 and B295 (18) and felt a lot better. Tried Nitto NT01: Horrible. Never really cared for the Toyo RA1 as the side walls are very soft and stirring response is slow. Tried Hoosiers 245 and 315 (18) and LOVED THEM. I do not know how long they will last but they really feel good. I have bought a second set for this week-end at VIR since both my wife and I drive the car. Ideally for longevity reason I would like to run real MPSC 235, 315 (18) but they are back ordered. Meanwhile this gives me a good excuse to use Hoosiers. I am #492 in the black group for thi week=end and would love to meet with you guys.

Stephan
Old 05-19-2007, 12:24 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Thanks Stephan for the feedback. What pressures do you run the Hoosiers at? Cold? Target hot?
What alignment specs?
Do you have a roll bar, seats, harnesses in your car already? If so, what stuff are you using?
I am running in the red group. #03 - white car like yours.
Where are you coming from?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:27 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

mooty:
I am sure you are more precise than your humble response would indicate
by the way, what does YMMV mean? (sorry I am a slow learner)
Old 05-19-2007, 12:36 AM
str8ner
Racer

I am in Great Falls) Northern VA. I ran the Hoosiers at F36 R38 Hot. I believed started around 27 cold. Car has the following camber:F-2 R-2.5. Sway Fone from full soft, R in the middle. I have a custom made roll bar install anf made by Mitch Piper. He did an amazing job and would recomend him to anyone. I have Scroth harnesses and Recaro seats with head restraints.
I had Tarett toe links installed which improved the car significantly.
Matt where are you located?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:41 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

I am down in Harrisonburg, VA. I am anxious to see your car set up. Look forward to meeting you.
I havent touched the sway bar settings yet. They are as from factory - F one off soft and R full stiff if I remember correctly. I did do the "track" alignment recommended in the manual - or at least close to it.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:21 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

ymmv = your mileage may vary.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:23 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by stisseront
I am in Great Falls) Northern VA. I ran the Hoosiers at F36 R38 Hot. I believed started around 27 cold. Car has the following camber:F-2 R-2.5. Sway Fone from full soft, R in the middle. I have a custom made roll bar install anf made by Mitch Piper. He did an amazing job and would recomend him to anyone. I have Scroth harnesses and Recaro seats with head restraints.
can you post pix of your custom roll bar?
also, what hot pressure did you use on the real mspc (18")?
Old 05-19-2007, 09:24 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

matt... i know your driving and you driving style... you willnot be happy on the ra1 or the mpsc... the grip is ot going to be there for you. the mspc do have fantastic turn in capacity... the brakes are going to overwork the tires....

i am acutally thinking of hooters for mine and the cup car
Old 05-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the scarcity of the Michelin slicks I can't believe you would actually think of wasting them on a setup, that like you mention, would not be able to take advantage of the tire.

Save those puppies for the return of the "Green Lantern."

I don't think I would even go to the effort of putting all the other stuff in the car because as soon as the cup car is back that is where you will be.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:44 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Matt,

I have ran the stock MPSC and did not like them. Tried real MPSC F235 and B295 (18) and felt a lot better. Tried Nitto NT01: Horrible. Never really cared for the Toyo RA1 as the side walls are very soft and stirring response is slow. Tried Hoosiers 245 and 315 (18) and LOVED THEM. I do not know how long they will last but they really feel good. I have bought a second set for this week-end at VIR since both my wife and I drive the car. Ideally for longevity reason I would like to run real MPSC 235, 315 (18) but they are back ordered. Meanwhile this gives me a good excuse to use Hoosiers. I am #492 in the black group for thi week=end and would love to meet with you guys.

Stephan
No clearance problems with 315 Hoosiers on the rear?
Old 05-19-2007, 10:49 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

If you are running R6's you might like them even more at 34-36 hot. Supposedly they are happier at lower pressures than the older compounds

Quick Reply: Hoosier vs. Toyo RA1 vs. MSPC