Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Finally, Definitive Answer from Porsche: NO '08 RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

While I find this an entirely credible account, there is always the fact that, well, at a pool party, the sharks have their own agenda.

I do hope that Porsche has finally bought a clue and will limiit the availability of enthusiast models (for both the investment grade vehicles over US$250K and for the driver vehicles under $200K.)

I'm one of the "missed by that much" would-be RS owners. I declined an RS in favor of the GT3 at a time when nobody could say what the RS would have or would not have ... including the sunroof ... and nobody could say if the RS was going to be the same mechanically or if it would be superior to the GT3.

I'd be curious to discover, of those "elite" 20 dealer managers -- and all of the dealers declining customers who ordered an RS a year ago) how many of them have set aside an RS for themselves (or through the decoy of a accomplice customer.)
Old 05-06-2007, 02:31 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
While I find this an entirely credible account, there is always the fact that, well, at a pool party, the sharks have their own agenda.

I do hope that Porsche has finally bought a clue and will limiit the availability of enthusiast models (for both the investment grade vehicles over US$250K and for the driver vehicles under $200K.)

I'm one of the "missed by that much" would-be RS owners. I declined an RS in favor of the GT3 at a time when nobody could say what the RS would have or would not have ... including the sunroof ... and nobody could say if the RS was going to be the same mechanically or if it would be superior to the GT3.

I'd be curious to discover, of those "elite" 20 dealer managers -- and all of the dealers declining customers who ordered an RS a year ago) how many of them have set aside an RS for themselves (or through the decoy of a accomplice customer.)

You know that is what happened. If I owned a dealership and could not get another one. I would say I am sorry however my owning a dealership gets me this car and goodluck. It is a perk. I do not think you are a just missed one person you just decided not to buy. So you get no car at MSRP or even close. I bought over two years ago from a really good dealership and the dealership even said they want the car howver I bought ever before they would say it was on the way for real. Everyone got what the market gave them when they said ok. No decoy needed just sorry I am not going to be selling this one.

Jim Huber
Old 05-06-2007, 03:04 PM
donquixote30
Intermediate

I guess one should take a look at Porsche's product mix to get a sense of what the company might be up to. Porche's real bread and butter are the Carreras, Boxters, SUVs and perhaps Caymans, not the GTs. Obviously, low volume GT3 RS contribute to profitability, but their real marketing function, in my opinion, is to enhance Porche's image and ultimately brand equity. It follows, therefore, that limiting the RS supply to a one-year production adds value (a function of scarcity) not only to the RS brand name but to the corporate entity as well. In short, it is not unreasonable to expect that the 997 GT3 RS is indeed a one-shot-deal. I fear that if this is true, the demand for the 08 "plain" GT3 will go up and so the list price. If this is the case, they have lost a potential customer already.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:30 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Isn't the RS actually less of a car than the GT3? lol

My understanding was it was a track-ready (stripped) version.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:50 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nick
"Heh.

The Fat Lady Has Not Sung.

But it looks like I'm going to have to find a non-alcoholic replacement for Jimbo. Given his upcoming new purchase, I know just the thing. "

Jeff, I apologize for not meeting the standard of above quoted post.
Nick, you are are one trick pony. Shall I go dig up your recents posts on this forum alone?

BTW, I have a standing bet with Jimbo. I suppose comraderie doesn't register with you Nicky, as bitterness seems to have smeared your otherwise clear vision.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:03 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frayed....so how has the new car been??? any new pics? is your son driving it yet?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:58 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by leif997
Frayed....so how has the new car been??? any new pics? is your son driving it yet?
Hey ming, not sure where to start. Been waiting for my first track day to give a fair comparison. But so far, what I can say is that it is w/o question the perfect marriage of the 997 chassis with the sharpness of the 996 GT3. It has all the obvious refinements that Porsche brought to the 997 cars, including most notably a very predictable, linear, buttoned down driving experience, but with the bloody knuckles and bare fangs of the 996 GT3.

I've had a bunch of sports cars of late, and am convinced more and more that this is the car to have. Maybe Ferrari F430 successor, quite likely the 997 GT3 successor, will be a notably better driving experience. But right now, today, this car delivers on all levels. Every car I've had until this one has made me wanting for a better car. . . sometimes on street. . . sometimes as a track toy. This one leaves me looking for excuses for that early morning drive before the kids wake up and I have to play dad.

It does have its warts though. Most notably the shocks. PASM cannot erase the fact that the dampers are tarted up Bilsteins. They tend to rely too much on compression valving for sharpness and not enough on spring rates. But things are so well engineered it's easy to overlook the issue. Also, just like the 996 GT3, I think there's a bit too much rubber in the rear suspension for the amount of grip this car serves up. Been talking with Steve at Rennsport, NJ-GT, and Kip at Farnbacher and I'm pretty sure that a few judicious changes to rear suspension components will address things.

Steering feel, gearbox feel, sound, cornering intensity, looks, flexibility of the motor, tractability, nimbleness. There isn't a car out there that get your schit fired up like one of these.

It will cure what ails you.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:28 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frayed, how many miles as of today? I agree with your assessment.

jv
Old 05-06-2007, 10:46 PM
frayed
Race Car

Just finished break in.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeff, so are you still on the RS list? GL
Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Jeff, so are you still on the RS list? GL
Yes, absolutely. But if I can clean up the handling quirks of my car (noted above) with some cup car parts, I'll pass on the RS.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 557 Posts

Give me your spot or I will Kung Foo Grip you!!
Old 05-07-2007, 12:42 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
Give me your spot or I will Kung Foo Grip you!!
this guy ^ is gonna go old skool G I Joe style on you, Frayed, if you do not comply
Old 05-07-2007, 12:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Minella
My sales manager also opined that this is a reaction to the poor aftermarket prices (relatively) of the GT2 and the Carrera GT, where the common wisdom holds that the only thing wrong with those cars (in the aftermarket) is that PAG made too many...
And they're just now figuring this out?
Old 05-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Yes, absolutely. But if I can clean up the handling quirks of my car (noted above) with some cup car parts, I'll pass on the RS.
Has anyone compiled a list of the (few) RS suspension parts different from the GT3?

Quick Reply: Finally, Definitive Answer from Porsche: NO '08 RS