Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Finally, Definitive Answer from Porsche: NO '08 RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 05:12 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Minella
I just got back from my Porsche dealer in Connecticut this morning.
I heard the same things this morning...wonder if we went to the same dealership
Old 05-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greenwich? If so, it was.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:40 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

yup
Old 05-05-2007, 07:10 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,
I just got back from my Porsche dealer in Connecticut this morning.
The sales manager reports that he just spent three days with the Carrera 20 Group, a group of the twenty largest dealers in North America who meet twice a year to go over financial records, share best practices, and so on. The Porsche representative, EVO KAUSSEN, told the group there will be no new RS's in '08. There may be a few cars sprinkled around at the end (perhaps the famous thirty "pool cars"), but there will no new edition of the car in '08, and yes, if the last of the run is produced after the factory holiday in the summer, perhaps the last few cars may be listed as '08's, but the definitive message is that it is a one year run. The GT3, however, will be produced in '08. This is the same word I got at the Amelia Island Concours in March, but I now have a name from Porsche to put with the information.

My sales manager also opined that this is a reaction to the poor aftermarket prices (relatively) of the GT2 and the Carrera GT, where the common wisdom holds that the only thing wrong with those cars (in the aftermarket) is that PAG made too many. By way of context, my dealer sold 17 Carrera GT's, had 15 names on the RS list before they stopped taking names (they got three cars), and they have 2 (yes, TWO) names on the 997 GT2 list. They routinely deliver two 997 Turbos per month.

The observation from my sales manager that PAG may have harmed the market for the GT2 by makng the GT3 so good...not many seem excited about the GT2 at a price close to $100k above the current GT3 (see above data point). That certainly seems to be the case in Connecticut. We'll see.

He also has a customer that is telling him that a dealer in Florida is swearing to him (the customer) that the RS is going to be offered in '08, so the customer (who is number one on the '08 RS list in Florida) is interested in selling his '07 RS at sticker plus $50K. My guy is telling his customer not to do it, as there will be no '08. That said, my guy has a customer waiting to scoop it up at that price, and indeed sold two in the last month (used) at $50K over. Don't be too hard on them, though, because my dealer paid $30K+ over to pick them up USED, and they sold all of their new car RS allocation at MSRP (including the one they sold me).

Anyway, that's the story. If you've got one, good for you. Don't crash it or let Eddie Griffin drive it. If you don't, take this information for what its worth and act as you think is appropriate if you'd like to get one. If I was on the '08 RS list at my dealer, I wouldn't be saving the garage space. Personally, as I now have a number of friends who, having seen my car, would love to get an RS, I'm disappointed at the news. At the RS price point, I believe that making another 250 cars is like spitting in the ocean, so I don't believe that building an '08 would have any lasting impact on the aftermarket value of my RS (there were 1500 '73 RS's produced, after all, and a restored '73 routinely goes for $250K now).

However, based on the above and the fact that we've now got a Porsche "named" source to put with the latest "speculation" that has been going on for months, I believe this information to be definitive (finally). For what it's worth...

Ray
'07 RS
'05 Carrera GT
'64 Carrera 2 Coupe
'62 Twin Grille
'55 Speedster
Ray, I would have to agree that a dealer who can move that much CGT product would be "in the loop" as far as any further RS production goes. And to add a legit name as a source finally seems to put this topic to bed....glad I did not take Jim Huber's bet.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:07 PM
jimhuber
Racer

glad I did not take Jim Huber's bet.

Well, I am a recovering alcholic and I will donate my bounty to the loosers in the bet. It was just fun. Frayed has not perked up on this topic??
Old 05-05-2007, 08:26 PM
frayed
Race Car

Heh.

The Fat Lady Has Not Sung.

But it looks like I'm going to have to find a non-alcoholic replacement for Jimbo. Given his upcoming new purchase, I know just the thing.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:03 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by frayed
Heh.

But it looks like I'm going to have to find a non-alcoholic replacement for Jimbo. Given his upcoming new purchase, I know just the thing.
I am looking forward to meeting new people and having good times learning how to drive my car. I have learned a lot from all of you on this board. I know you are loving your new car. I want mine now. I have never been to Texas now I have a good reason to roll. I just ordered a new trailer. 32' tandem. I can make better time in my rig and carry all of my tools. I really do not care how many they make. I do see the problem with everyone selling for over MSRP and how it keeps them out of the hands of people who love the car and into the hands of the ones with no real love for the car just the fact that it is HOT>

Jim Huber
Old 05-05-2007, 10:41 PM
frayed
Race Car

Hey Jimbo, you are welcome out here anytime. If you want to go play on a big track, we can do that. Tight an technical small tracks too. I was thinking of flying Stanton out for some one on one instruction. . . might be fun to coordinate him coming out to and split the cost.

Whatever you are up for. . . me and the missus have room w/ two empty bedrooms.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 05-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't know if there will be a 08RS but if not it would really run counter to the financial thinking of Porsche or any other company. Assuming there is a high demand for this car (debatable given the performance of the GT3) why would Porsche forego profits on a car already in production and in demand?

Ferrari is limted as to how many they can build and have a corporate philosphy that protect their brand by limting production. Porsche has followed a more profitable approach and for them to walk away from a tidy profit is against everything Porsche stands for. Customer resale protection is the least of their concern given how modern Porsche are absorbing some major depreciation hits.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:50 PM
frayed
Race Car

Nick, it would be refreshing for you to post something novel, and of value.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Nick, it would be refreshing for you to post something novel, and of value.

"Heh.

But it looks like I'm going to have to find a non-alcoholic replacement for Jimbo. Given his upcoming new purchase, I know just the thing. "

Jeff, I apologize for not meeting the standard of above quoted post.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:39 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I don't know if there will be a 08RS but if not it would really run counter to the financial thinking of Porsche or any other company. Assuming there is a high demand for this car (debatable given the performance of the GT3) why would Porsche forego profits on a car already in production and in demand?

Ferrari is limted as to how many they can build and have a corporate philosphy that protect their brand by limting production. Porsche has followed a more profitable approach and for them to walk away from a tidy profit is against everything Porsche stands for. Customer resale protection is the least of their concern given how modern Porsche are absorbing some major depreciation hits.
Maybe, just maybe Porsche is trying to surprise everyone by doing opposite what it seems the majority think they will do. It's not like they need to make more money on the RS production run. So maybe they just said "what the heck, lets only make a few of these".
Old 05-06-2007, 12:10 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

well, from what i heard, and maybe Ray was told the same, Porsche isnt making the 08 GT3RS' to do just that, make it a single year run which makes them more "collectible" in a sense.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:26 AM
lumpking
Instructor

Hasn’t every RS version, in the past, been only a one year run? It doesn’t surprise me at all this car is a one year run. I'm glad that it is.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... The Porsche representative, EVO KAUSSEN, told the group there will be no new RS's in '08. There may be a few cars sprinkled around at the end (perhaps the famous thirty "pool cars"), but there will no new edition of the car in '08, and yes, if the last of the run is produced after the factory holiday in the summer, perhaps the last few cars may be listed as '08's, but the definitive message is that it is a one year run.
My sales manager also opined that this is a reaction to the poor aftermarket prices (relatively) of the GT2 and the Carrera GT, where the common wisdom holds that the only thing wrong with those cars (in the aftermarket) is that PAG made too many...I believe this information to be definitive (finally). For what it's worth...

Ray
Congratulations on securing what may very well become a true collectible. I appreciate your willingness to share with us what, to the best of your knowledge, is the closest thing yet to an up-to-date semi-official Porsche position on the RS. Based on their chronic track record of overproduction of supposedly limited vehicles, I don't have much faith in Porsche's desire to protect the resale value of their product. However, I do hope they are beginning to recognize how important it is in the market place to keep their word even if short term it limits their incredible profits.

Quick Reply: Finally, Definitive Answer from Porsche: NO '08 RS