Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

3M film

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 AM
drqiman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M film

I will be picking up my new GT3 from Porsche of North Scottsdale sometime before the end of the month. The salesman has suggested I have the dealership instal 3M film on the front bumber, part of the hood and mirrors. Has any member done this at this dealership and was the quality of the work good?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:54 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

what color
Old 04-10-2007, 02:24 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're probably better off having another guy do it. That's all the dealer does anyway. They just call a guy in. If you want the convenience of it then just have the dealer handle it.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 AM
drqiman
Rennlist Member

It is a low option white car. I am driving from New Mexico to pick it up. I would not mind taking it to someone in the Phoenix area. Do you reccomend anyone in particular? Perhaps I can wait for Premier to travel to San Diego and take it for a spin up there and get them to do it.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I saw a green gt3rs that they did and it was perfect. Mark Sieffert one of the sales reps is my neighbor.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:32 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

What is the price they quoted you?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

If you're driving all that way you many want to have it done first. BTW, IMO the clear bras are not absolutely necessary if the car is just a casual weekend driver. If you're tracking or a daily driver it's more imperative. For weekend stuff the odd little mark outweighs the visible look of the bra. The bumpers on P's are flexible so most debris bounces off them, FWIW.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:05 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 3M Film

Had the 3M film placed on my white 997 GT3 (hood, front fender, wheel wells, mirrors, bumper, and headlights). In less than a week, over half the edges of the film are peeling off the bumper, mirrors, and wheel wells. Also, when the car gets dirty (again, less than one week being on the car), the edges pick up dirt under the film like you would get under finger nails. I'd suggest that you pass on the films except for maybe the headlights and hood since these are the only areas that the film is not lifting off.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
Had the 3M film placed on my white 997 GT3 (hood, front fender, wheel wells, mirrors, bumper, and headlights). In less than a week, over half the edges of the film are peeling off the bumper, mirrors, and wheel wells. Also, when the car gets dirty (again, less than one week being on the car), the edges pick up dirt under the film like you would get under finger nails. I'd suggest that you pass on the films except for maybe the headlights and hood since these are the only areas that the film is not lifting off.
that's not normal. your installer is very inexperienced and did an exeptionally poor job. those effect shouldn't happen that soon, but they do eventually happen.

however, if the car is white, i will not clear bra it. it will appears yellowish, some more than others. also, primer is white, the chips aren't obvious. same goes with arctic silver. i have two identical white cars, one coverd one naked. the naked one got chipped up, but you have to feel it with your hand to really know the chips are there. the covered one always looked yellowish (area with bra).
Old 04-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

forget 3m- go for venture shield. That stuff rocks! And they make it in 56" rolls = if you want to cover the entire hood.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:52 PM
BLK997S
2nd Gear

i have my front done and mirrors.headlights.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:06 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who did your install?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 3M

Someone that comes to the dealer to place the film. I'm not sure that they have any association. Unfortunately, I think that some surfaces on my car were an experiment for coverage. A lot of these surfaces are not so easy to bend the film around. I will probably pull most of the film off of these areas. Like I said, when the car gets dirty, the dirt accumulates beneath the free edge of the film.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:19 PM
drqiman
Rennlist Member

I thank everybody for their input. I am leaning towards leaving it "naked". I have a few more days to think about it. Any other advice is welcome.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:39 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone that comes to the dealer to place the film. I'm not sure that they have any association. Unfortunately, I think that some surfaces on my car were an experiment for coverage. A lot of these surfaces are not so easy to bend the film around. I will probably pull most of the film off of these areas. Like I said, when the car gets dirty, the dirt accumulates beneath the free edge of the film.
The reason I asked is because the same guy who did yours did mine too. And mine is perfect! To be sure the Orange color makes a difference but if you looked at my car you wouldn't even know it's there.

But then stranger things have happened...

Quick Reply: 3M film