Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 - Break in questions... advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:50 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i may break traffic laws, thrown in jail blah blah....
jail for breaking a traffic law but not under the influence?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,702 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
jail for breaking a traffic law but not under the influence?

i NEVER drink, unless it's cooked into my food.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it state in any of the purchase papers that "off road/track" use wil result in.....??
Old 04-10-2007, 11:58 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Does it state in any of the purchase papers that "off road/track" use wil result in.....??
Yes it does. Read under the waranty section of the owners manual.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:22 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Yes it does. Read under the waranty section of the owners manual.
so they market the car as a track car, give track alignment specs and then if you track it no warrenty
Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

yep.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:31 AM
frayed
Race Car

Of course.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 AM
krC2S
Racer

warranty with tracking is all dealer specific some dealers here sponsor track events and are tech inspectors for PCA track events !
Old 04-11-2007, 12:56 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krC2S
warranty with tracking is all dealer specific some dealers here sponsor track events and are tech inspectors for PCA track events !
i agree, and think that it's more of a way for porsche to cover their *** if needed.
my dealer's not going to void my warranty if i track the car occasionally.
the main salesman used to be heavily involved w/ local scca autocross until family got in the way.
of course if pcna found out and put the vin on a list of tracked vehicles not to be warrantied that could be another matter.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:15 AM
krC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by icon
i agree, and think that it's more of a way for porsche to cover their *** if needed.
my dealer's not going to void my warranty if i track the car occasionally.
the main salesman used to be heavily involved w/ local scca autocross until family got in the way.
of course if pcna found out and put the vin on a list of tracked vehicles not to be warrantied that could be another matter.

good thing we have "track friendly" dealers
Old 04-11-2007, 01:58 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I spent some time on m3forums.net and this warranty issue continues to come up. People are recommending getting an extended warranty to 100,000 miles after the 50,000 miles is up.

I think people are forgetting what a warranty is for. It's for defects in manufacturing. In other words, you are just cruising along on the interstate and WHAM, the engine grenades. That can and will be covered under warranty. But if you abuse the car, and if Porsche thinks you are abusing the car, then it should not be covered under warranty.

That's really all there is to it.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:25 PM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

This is how I broke in my new rs
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2007, 02:31 PM
tocho1
Instructor

Awesome!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:13 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
But if you abuse the car, and if Porsche thinks you are abusing the car, then it should not be covered under warranty.

That's really all there is to it.
What is abusing the car? That is the question. If you track the car, are very careful to warm up the car before pushing it, always check the fluids and mechanicals, have it regularly serviced, is that abuse? Or how about the guy who gets into his shiny new GT-3 starts it up and races from red light to red light, never (or rarely) checks the oil and only does the minimum service required?

I think the fact that Porsche can void you warrantee if you track the car is valid. After all, they won't warrantee the cup car. But most dealers are reasonable. If you come in because your a/c doesn't work, they won't try to say it failed because you tracked the car. If you detonated your engine because you overreved to 12k RPM, then by all means, they should deny the claim.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:51 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
I think the fact that Porsche can void you warrantee if you track the car is valid. After all, they won't warrantee the cup car. But most dealers are reasonable. If you come in because your a/c doesn't work, they won't try to say it failed because you tracked the car. If you detonated your engine because you overreved to 12k RPM, then by all means, they should deny the claim.
I understand what you're saying, but I still take issue with the overall attitude "if you track the car, you have no warranty". It seems to me that *where* I drive should not matter, it should be a question of *how* I drive. And in particular if I abuse the car by over-revving the motor, not maintaining fluids, etc. That abuse can happen on the road or on the track. Just driving the car hard is NOT abuse. This motor has an 8400 RPM redline; if I drive on the track consistently between 5000 & 8000 RPM, that should not be an issue. I could do the same thing on the street just by staying in first and second gear all the time. Yet in the former case Porsche says they can deny my warranty, but in the latter they'd honor it.

Porsche advertises the GT3 as a ready-to-track car that is meant to be driven hard. Denying warranty coverage because you tracked it says they don't really mean that. I agree completely that "abuse" conditions should not be covered. But this isn't what Porsche is saying; they're denying track coverage based on the assumption that track = abuse.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 - Break in questions... advice please.