Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My GT3 RS may be for sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:19 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
It's pretty much understood that he IS selling the car, no?
Oh Yea, thats right, that's what this thread was for. Seams to have gotten off topic a bit
Old 04-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Nick lives in Lajolla and drives a very "sweet" (most men know what I mean here) car. Most of the folks from there who have a similar profile that I know have much better things to do than act as Nick does. A few weeks ago I asked him a serious question and received a thoughtful, sincere answer.

I'm not sure why he would carry on in this fashion. One would think he has better things to do. As Frayed points out, you can go over to F-Chat and post the reverse message to Nick's and you'll have a few folks go apoplectic. But who wants to do that?

Nick, it's obvious that you must suffer from Porsche Envy. Driving around in a flaccid F-car who's main distinction is that poseurs will pay waaay over list to be seen in a sharky-looking droptop that is incapable of matching a Porsche in any real race (ask me how I know). With the exception of the hand-picked and tuned ones they send to the mags for review, those cars are NOT performance monsters by any stretch.

I just turned down a Black GT-3 stripper today ($113K window if anyone is interested, be here next month) that would shake a 430 like a pitbull with a Raggity Ann on the track.

So really,what's your complaint?
I do not how this discussion degenerated to my ***** is bigger and better than yours (Ferrari was brought in by you). My point was the RS, though I am sure a good car, really does not stand up to performance scrutiny compared to other Porsche models. So why in the hell are people slobbering over the car and paying a premium over MSRP? My view it is temporary insanity and if and when some of the proud owners take it to the track and watch their butts get beat by lesser cars the balloon will burst.

Also, to all of you telling me that Ferrari is a lousy performing car my response is so what? I could care less. If performance was the only criteria for choosing a car then all of you better start rethinking Porsche. The Z06 will spank most models and a little money into a number of other lesser cars and they will do the same.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I do not how this discussion degenerated to my ***** is bigger and better than yours (Ferrari was brought in by you). My point was the RS, though I am sure a good car, really does not stand up to performance scrutiny compared to other Porsche models. So why in the hell are people slobbering over the car and paying a premium over MSRP? My view it is temporary insanity and if and when some of the proud owners take it to the track and watch their butts get beat by lesser cars the balloon will burst.

Also, to all of you telling me that Ferrari is a lousy performing car my response is so what? I could care less. If performance was the only criteria for choosing a car then all of you better start rethinking Porsche. The Z06 will spank most models and a little money into a number of other lesser cars and they will do the same.
Have you driven the RS??? You don't have a friggin' clue.

BTW, I spanked an F430 for 2000 kms last summer in the hills of southern France and it doesn't even come close to the RS. That's how good this car is!!! Hopefully, this should also cure your verbal diarrhea.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:42 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it is just supply and demand, but I do think S/D is the major one. Another reason? Well, first of all Ferrari has done a terrific job since the early and mid 90's as has Porsche to generate demand. Not sure what the aphrodisiac is, but it works on just about everyone. The lines of their vehicles, the exhaust note, the cache of their dealers etc. all invade your sense in a different way than just about any other maker out there. The second issue is this (and you may not agree); the Enzo can be driven, and driven reasonably fast by almost anyone (unless perhaps you're a black comedian). The C-GT requires skill to drive, and if you are not possessed of that skill, the odds are good that you will either not enjoy the car or get yourself deep into trouble. From the time you attempt to move from a stop in a C-GT you realize that this car is a handful. Definately not a car for the average poseur! And in many cases it is the poseur crowd that drives up the prices.

That has been my operative thinking too. Surely a company doing as well as Porsche could do without the short-term profits to develop a stronger long-term following. But this RS issue has got me rethinking that. It used to be that EU companies would laugh at the "quarterly-fever" that US public entities go through. Now they do it too!
The Enzo is as difficult to drive at speed as the Carr GT because both cars lull you to sleep with the no fuss/no drama Mph approach and the line between bite the dust or stay on happens to fast for even the average decent driver of both cars. Talent/feel cannot be bought or learned , you have it or not or better"A man got to know his limitations".

I am confident that the majority of this board would have difficulties to even start the Enzo or getting it into gear, the Carr GT is much more user friendly or conventional.

With TC disengaged the Enzo requires the utmost respect and concentration, maybe you get a chance one day to experience it and IMO is more difficult to drive than the Carr GT.

Let me also remind everybody again that our resident Poser Nicky only hypes the 8 cyl F cars in regards to value retention but completly ignores the fact that the regular production 12 cyl cars drop like rocks and then some.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:16 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nicky, you are so full of it aren't you. I see you have failed to back up the assertions in your prior inflammatory post. You know, your hyperbole. Now you argue both sides. Your ferrari purchase is above measures of performance YET you slam the RS for not being demonstrably superior to the 3 or TT. Which is it? Performance matters? It doesn't? Oh wait, there are different rules for Ferrari owners.

I cannot figure WTF you are doing here. Somebody so smug in his drop top cougar prowler should have no need to sling mud wrt a car he has absolutely no interest in.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:44 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pole position
The Enzo is as difficult to drive at speed as the Carr GT because both cars lull you to sleep with the no fuss/no drama Mph approach and the line between bite the dust or stay on happens to fast for even the average decent driver of both cars. Talent/feel cannot be bought or learned , you have it or not or better"A man got to know his limitations".

I am confident that the majority of this board would have difficulties to even start the Enzo or getting it into gear, the Carr GT is much more user friendly or conventional.

With TC disengaged the Enzo requires the utmost respect and concentration, maybe you get a chance one day to experience it and IMO is more difficult to drive than the Carr GT.

Let me also remind everybody again that our resident Poser Nicky only hypes the 8 cyl F cars in regards to value retention but completly ignores the fact that the regular production 12 cyl cars drop like rocks and then some.
Pole,

Based on your Bio I'm sure you would know.

However i was speaking about what passes for "fast" among those who have no clue. Imagine;

You just penned THE BIG CHECK and received the keys to the Enzo. You're trembling and sweating as the monster comes to life (actually it is docile at idle and throttle whups sound more like a 3000cc Honda racer than a car). You somehow find that right paddle and into !st you go. But no need for a left leg at all because the "clutch" is a robot so you gently tip-toe away from the dealer. The fact that two weeks later, after a fight with your wife and a stop for a double you wrap it around a telephone pole, bisecting it nicely along the engineering dotted line will be an asterisk.

Fade to the Porsche dealership. You pen a smaller, but nonetheless significant note and the dealer gives you the keys on one of those cute little yellow brake keychains (c'mon, some of you know exactly the chain I'm talking about), and as the engine comes to life sooo fast and the revs go to 3000 when you thought you weren't giving it gas at all, your heartbeat goes from fast to OMG!!! Then you push in the clutch, snick the balsa ball into 1st, let out the clutch, and .....................(C-GT owners, you know what I mean).

For the average belly trader/mortgage broker, the horror...the.....horror......

It's down to the F-store for a nice, safe transmission.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:16 AM
magwheel
Instructor

Cool Carnac the Magnificent!

Pole,

However i was speaking about what passes for "fast" among those who have no clue. Imagine; Fade to the Porsche dealership. You pen a smaller, but nonetheless significant note and the dealer gives you the keys on one of those cute little yellow brake keychains (c'mon, some of you know exactly the chain I'm talking about), and as the engine comes to life sooo fast and the revs go to 3000 when you thought you weren't giving it gas at all, your heartbeat goes from fast to OMG!!! Then you push in the clutch, snick the balsa ball into 1st, let out the clutch, and .....................(C-GT owners, you know what I mean).
How the hell did you know what key chain I use for my Carrera GT? Actually, I got that keychain for free from the Porsche Dealer in Illinois, (The Porsche Exchange). He sent it to me as a thank you for sending him a color copy of the window sticker from my 2003 Yellow GT2 that I traded on the CGT.

Somehow he wound up with the GT2 from the Columbus, Ohio dealer that I made the deal for the CGT. The Porsche Exchange sold the GT2 to a man in California who wanted the window sticker. I told him he couldn't have the original but I would send him a color and (B&W) copy plus the build sheet(?) for free! He appreciated it so much he sent me the keychain as a thank you. Magwheel
Old 04-04-2007, 01:31 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Everybody loves to pile on Nick, take the f car crap out of the equation for a moment and he does make a few good arguments. For instance, the dumbed down US version RS is only marginally better than a standard GT3, unlike the RoW model. Once they start cranking them out, and they will, they may not command some of the premiums you're seeing now, imo. Secondly, in most board member's hands the TT probably is faster, it does run the 'ring faster than either 3 or RS I believe, full leather/pasm/awd/nav/cup holders and all. Don't get me wrong, the RoW RS is a great car, but the std GT3 is as good as the US version.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:47 AM
mowblowgo
Advanced

The Z06 will spank most models and a little money into a number of other lesser cars and they will do the same.
Ah...after 5 pages of jawing crap this guy finally emerges a Vette lover. I would have made money on that bet...saw it coming 3 pages ago with the ignorant build-up.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:57 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Pole,

However i was speaking about what passes for "fast" among those who have no clue. Imagine;

You just penned THE BIG CHECK and received the keys to the Enzo. You're trembling and sweating as the monster comes to life (actually it is docile at idle and throttle whups sound more like a 3000cc Honda racer than a car). You somehow find that right paddle and into !st you go. But no need for a left leg at all because the "clutch" is a robot so you gently tip-toe away from the dealer. The fact that two weeks later, after a fight with your wife and a stop for a double you wrap it around a telephone pole, bisecting it nicely along the engineering dotted line will be an asterisk.

Fade to the Porsche dealership. You pen a smaller, but nonetheless significant note and the dealer gives you the keys on one of those cute little yellow brake keychains (c'mon, some of you know exactly the chain I'm talking about), and as the engine comes to life sooo fast and the revs go to 3000 when you thought you weren't giving it gas at all, your heartbeat goes from fast to OMG!!! Then you push in the clutch, snick the balsa ball into 1st, let out the clutch, and .....................(C-GT owners, you know what I mean).

For the average belly trader/mortgage broker, the horror...the.....horror......

It's down to the F-store for a nice, safe transmission.
True, but you will be surprised how many customers were not able to drive a F 1 trans smoothly and I almost suffered whiplash from various test or delivery drives. Same went for the POS Maserati's.

Once upon a time a very well heeled Pizza chain owner customer who already had a 360 and a Challenge car took delivery of 575 F1. He proceeded to get into the car ready to take off in the middle of the dealerships lot while I was maybe approx. a 100 feet in front. To my surprise he took off like a bandit with rubber spinning in the back but blocked wheels in front. I narrowly escaped by jumping aside and he almost took out a new 360 Spider, barely missed a rockgarden bed and finally came to a stop. He jumped out ready to explode and screamed bloody murder that we sold him a defective car, similar to Audi's unintended BS in the 80's. After he calmed down I was able to point out to him that his trendy designer shoes were to wide and he actually gave it WOT and brake lock up at the same time................coincidently he rear ended someone a couple of weeks later on a freeway offramp and inflicting 85 K damage.......that in a nutshell is your average F car client.

I never understood all the fuss about the Carr GT clutch because it never gave me any trouble. Maybe it had something to do with that I never even drove a auto trans until I came to the US.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:16 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Everybody loves to pile on Nick, take the f car crap out of the equation for a moment and he does make a few good arguments. For instance, the dumbed down US version RS is only marginally better than a standard GT3, unlike the RoW model. Once they start cranking them out, and they will, they may not command some of the premiums you're seeing now, imo. Secondly, in most board member's hands the TT probably is faster, it does run the 'ring faster than either 3 or RS I believe, full leather/pasm/awd/nav/cup holders and all. Don't get me wrong, the RoW RS is a great car, but the std GT3 is as good as the US version.
Chris, believe me when I tell ya this RS is something special. And my basis of comparison is the Turbo S...which in turn beats the crap out of an Gallardos, 360s or 430s.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
You make some good points, except that I'm not so quick to declare the GT3 the RS's equal.

Very few here have driven both. And those that have only can go by seat of the pants 'feel', which we all know is a notoriously bad measure.

The mags haven't really compared them.

But we know the RS has revised rear suspension, adding not only rear track but supposedly better camber and toe control. The damper rates are also revised. As always with such things, the devil is in the details. For me, spending an extra 17k is questionable, but it does insure the most sorted car for track weekends. OTOH, most of the special go fast parts of RS can likely be bolted onto the 3, but I question whether that's prudent since the RS rear suspension was designed around lower offset wheels.

I guess what I'm saying is that the new 3 is a quantum leap over the old in terms of driving dynamics although it is not mind blowingly faster on track. To a much lesser extent, we may have the same situation with the RS over the 3.

It'll be fun to hear all the comparos as people get to track their RS's and eventually all the chassis gurus will figure out the differences and close the gap b/t the cars.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:39 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by magwheel
How the hell did you know what key chain I use for my Carrera GT? Actually, I got that keychain for free from the Porsche Dealer in Illinois, (The Porsche Exchange). He sent it to me as a thank you for sending him a color copy of the window sticker from my 2003 Yellow GT2 that I traded on the CGT.

Somehow he wound up with the GT2 from the Columbus, Ohio dealer that I made the deal for the CGT. The Porsche Exchange sold the GT2 to a man in California who wanted the window sticker. I told him he couldn't have the original but I would send him a color and (B&W) copy plus the build sheet(?) for free! He appreciated it so much he sent me the keychain as a thank you. Magwheel
Good story!

I was given two with my dearly departed TT.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Very few here have driven both. And those that have only can go by seat of the pants 'feel', which we all know is a notoriously bad measure.

The mags haven't really compared them.

I promise you guys, that once I have both cars in my hands; I will have my self and Rick DeMan and a well known Pro driver take both cars with track setups and do back to back hot-lap comparisons at The Glen....we may even install some DA instrumentation for fine detail comparo's....then we will have data that is not anecdotal.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:04 AM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

I just found this thread and haven't read all the posts. For the GT3 RS naysayers, drive it before commenting. I've driven the regular 997 GT3 and it was amazing. The RS is even better. I've had two 996 GT3's and love them but Porsche outdid themselves on this one!

Has the car sold?

Quick Reply: My GT3 RS may be for sale