Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PS2's and the GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:42 PM
rob020880
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PS2's and the GT3?

Does anyone have any idea if Pilot Sport II's might be offered as an option from Porsche on the GT3 in the near term? I plan on ordering either the GT3 or Turbo but am torn between the two. I would like to get the GT3 but the tires are holding me back. I am sure I would love the the Pilot Sport Cup's, but I plan on using this car as a semi daily driver and since I live in a wet\cool climate this is not a viable option. Perhaps someone has swapped the Cup's out for PS2'S? If so has there been a noticable change in handling? Any input would be of great help, thanks.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:52 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rob020880
Does anyone have any idea if Pilot Sport II's might be offered as an option from Porsche on the GT3 in the near term? I plan on ordering either the GT3 or Turbo but am torn between the two. I would like to get the GT3 but the tires are holding me back. I am sure I would love the the Pilot Sport Cup's, but I plan on using this car as a semi daily driver and since I live in a wet\cool climate this is not a viable option. Perhaps someone has swapped the Cup's out for PS2'S? If so has there been a noticable change in handling? Any input would be of great help, thanks.
I swapped the Cups for PS2s because of street/cold temp/wet driving conditions. I just love them. However, for track I'll put the cups back on. Can't give you a comparo since I haven't driven on the Cups yet...but in 10 days I will.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I also run the PS2 for general driving on a seperate set of Carrera Sport wheels 8.5" X 19" et 55 and 11.5" X 19" et 67
Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm considering switching to the PS2's as I already replaced the rears at 3700 miles. It's almost $1200 by the time you get them mounted. But I love the way they stick! I may go one more complete set of the PSC's for the summer then switch to the PS2's for next winter.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 PM
LERA GT2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 700 kms on Cups, half of them in the rain. I am very surprised at how well they do in the wet. They are no PS2s, but I think when it comes down to changing them, I will go back to the Cups. One thing, warm weather!!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:47 PM
rob020880
Intermediate

Does anyone know if it will ever be possible to just order the PS2's with the car? Also don't the PS2's provide a little added protection to the rim with their bigger sidewalls? I mention this because the other day at the dealer I noticed a GT3 with terribly scratched up wheels from potholes and the like. But I also noticed the lip of the wheel and the sidewall of the tire are basically even, so it looks like if you go over, or into anything on the street higher then the sidewall the wheel will suffer.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Edwin
Rennlist Member

PS2's do provide more protection to the rim as compared to the Cups....but the PS2's don't stick nearly as well and are much noisier and have a rougher ride. I put PS2's on again after a set of Cups and now I'm sad.....next set will be Cups again.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:06 AM
355michael
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Default PS2

I just put a set of PS2 and champion motorsport wheels as my daily driver-will use the cups for the track-driven both in the rain-there is a difference
minor diff in price for GT3 OEM wheels vs forged champions-
Old 03-29-2007, 12:58 AM
Flash 3
Intermediate

Rob I'm having the same debate..... Gt3 or Turbo.... can't decide.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 AM
rob020880
Intermediate

Flash I feel your pain. I live in Chicago and LOVE the look of the Gt3, the front lip bothers me a little but I think I could live with it. Then I think about the turbo which seems like a better bang for your buck. This is becoming a real problem, I look at the turbo and fall in love, then see a Gt3 fly down my street and forget about the Turbo, and vice versa.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Flash 3
Intermediate

Flash I feel your pain. I live in Chicago and LOVE the look of the Gt3, the front lip bothers me a little but I think I could live with it. Then I think about the turbo which seems like a better bang for your buck. This is becoming a real problem, I look at the turbo and fall in love, then see a Gt3 fly down my street and forget about the Turbo, and vice versa.
Rob, that's exacty it. When I see the turbo I think ok that's the car for me, but then I see pictures and video clips of the gt3 and fall in love. I have the chance to get either for just a difference of a few thousands....... ahh decisions
Old 03-29-2007, 02:29 PM
peachboy
Racer

Had the same debate....ended up cancelling the Turbo and getting on the GT3 list...figured that if all it takes is an extra set of tires then it's not a big deal. If you can afford either car you can afford the tires. The turbo is an awesome car but it just doesn't raise my blood pressure...when I spend that amount on a car I want to be excited about it.

Quick Reply: PS2's and the GT3?