Supposedly the latest word on RS '08 production

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supposedly the latest word on RS '08 production

Listers,
I was at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance this weekend, and spoke to a friend of mine who is good pals with the top guys at PCNA. He was told last week that '07 production is it. The reason, he said, is that Porsche took note of what happened with the Carrera GT (too many produced, aftermarket prices sinking like a stone) and they don't want to repeat that experience.
I guess we'll find out what the real story is in due course, but that's what I heard.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:37 PM
BerryS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray, I was told the same thing. Actually, I was told that the only 2008 models would be those late in the planned production run - the exact scenario that has been mentioned here.

In summary, it's my understanding that the original 229 + 30 "VIP" cars is it.

BerryS
Old 03-13-2007, 05:46 PM
normank
Racer

What about the standard GT3?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Originally Posted by normank
What about the standard GT3?
My understanding is that the GT3 will be made in '08. I was told Porsche is using the RS to sell the GT3. My own view is that Porsche is over-correcting what they did with the Carrera GT. Porsche ended up with way too many CGT's built (1270 built), as the market for a $440K car is just not that big. The RS, however sells for roughly 1/3 of what the CGT sold for (fully loaded), and the market for a $140K car (with ceramic brakes, bi-xeon headlights, navigation) is vastly larger.
While I do think Porsche is right to not repeat the CGT supply/demand fiasco, another 250 RS's won't crush the aftermarket of the RS.
I hear some dealers are looking for $40K over list. My dealer, however, sold me mine for MSRP.
Ray
Old 03-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

The price difference between the GT3 and GT3RS is almost pure profit. Why would Porsche throw away $3 million instead of satisfying another 150 customers? The difference between 259 and 409 cars is not going to destroy re-sale values or leave dealers with a parking lots full of unsellable cars.

My guess is that Porsche feels the 229+30 is enough to satisfy demand at this time, and if cars are still selling for over MSRP come July, more will show up.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:47 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Question Errrrrr...

When was the last time a car manufacturer worries about the "re-sale value"???
Old 03-13-2007, 09:34 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, the story you heard Ray and the one I heard a few weeks ago is the same. 229 cars and 30 VIP; that's it. Any orders filled after August Holiday are '08's by default.

Just saw another GT-3 today, and damn it is a beautiful rendition of the most timeless style in modern automotive history.

If I hadn't gotten an allocation for an RS I'm sure I would get a "normal" one.

Oh, and Porsche doesn't need 3M Euros...
Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 PM
MatroxMGA
Instructor

Same in Europe.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Oh, and Porsche doesn't need 3M Euros...
Do they need it? No, but they do have shareholders they are responsible to, and the decision makers no doubt receive bonuses based on profits. And as ///Mous said, they don't care about re-sale. So it doesn't make sense that they'd limit production and give up profits unless they are not convinced demand is greater, and/or feel quoting low production numbers is the best way to market the car to keep demand and transaction prices high.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ray Minella
Listers,
I was at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance this weekend, and spoke to a friend of mine who is good pals with the top guys at PCNA. He was told last week that '07 production is it. The reason, he said, is that Porsche took note of what happened with the Carrera GT (too many produced, aftermarket prices sinking like a stone) and they don't want to repeat that experience.
I guess we'll find out what the real story is in due course, but that's what I heard.
Exactly what I was told.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:44 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Do they need it? No, but they do have shareholders they are responsible to, and the decision makers no doubt receive bonuses based on profits. And as ///Mous said, they don't care about re-sale. So it doesn't make sense that they'd limit production and give up profits unless they are not convinced demand is greater, and/or feel quoting low production numbers is the best way to market the car to keep demand and transaction prices high.
Yes, well if they are unfortunate as many public companies to have to explain every item every quarter, and they'll swing from the gallows if they don't make 'em all happy, then I guess you're right.

However, suprising as it may seem, some companies continue to make strategic decisions that may incur tactical setbacks for the good of long term.

I'm not sure any ofthis has anything to do with the RS supply,but my dealings with German companies has taught me that some at least are not afraid to do what they think is right. Japanese companies too for that matter, perhaps even moreso.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Paul523
Pro

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
When was the last time a car manufacturer worries about the "re-sale value"???
Splitting hairs here but re-sale affects purchasing behavior relative to new product.

Assume the CGT was still being manufactured today-- if I can buy a pristine two-year-old CGT with 3K miles for $320K from a dealer or priv party, the demand for a new CGT at anything close to $440 MSRP from a dealer would diminish.... less potential profit margin to be realized by dealer which then suppresses the placement of new cgt orders from Leipzig.

Although imo I don't think GT3RS orders would be dragged down by resale market in above manner unless PAG cranked out something close to 1000 N.American RS units... so even factoring 50% cannibalization from non-RS GT3, my voodoo calculus would net PAG maybe an add'l $7-$10mm... not the stuff of torch wielding villagers/stockholder uprising considering P's larger financial position.

stated more succinctly:
Originally Posted by allegretto
some companies continue to make strategic decisions that may incur tactical setbacks for the good of long term.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Do I recall correctly that about 700 996 GT3s came to North America? Many of them languished on dealer lots and sold below MSRP. With the regular GT3 and a few hundred RS versions, I think PAG has got it about right.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:09 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

People always want what they can't have! If Porsche were to double the RS production it would languish on the lots...remember the RSA (now a cult car and good for Porsche, but the naysayers at the time cut the car pieces; those of us who owned one knew better).

Face it, a lot of people want this car because they think it is made of "unobtainium"; unfortunately they all didn't fall into the right hands yet!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:25 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 543 Likes on 355 Posts

Thanks for the update Ray.

Quick Reply: Supposedly the latest word on RS '08 production