Supposedly the latest word on RS '08 production

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:09 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink I have to argue...

Originally Posted by Paul523
Splitting hairs here but re-sale affects purchasing behavior relative to new product...
Paul,
Then why there are so many Turbo 997's? I think we also should look at what percentage of the RS' are leased.

Besides, isn't this the first RS that is ever imported into North America?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:46 AM
A430v
Racer

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. People complained that the CGT was overproduced...now that they're limiting RS production, "perhaps" to please loyal customers, people bitch again. Sigh, there's no winning situation.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:08 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Smile ???

Originally Posted by A430v
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. People complained...
’05 GT3 (sold), ’06 M5 (sold), ’06 M Roadster (FOR SALE)
You must be the Porsche’s real reason.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:42 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

What' wrong with someone wanting and being able to order an RS?
Porsche does not have to guess on how many, only make actual customer orders?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:53 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Paul,
Then why there are so many Turbo 997's? I think we also should look at what percentage of the RS' are leased.

There aren't too many here in Chicago. None available at dealers

PFC is not leasing RS's to my knowledge

Last edited by allegretto; 03-14-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:35 AM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by BerryS
Ray, I was told the same thing. Actually, I was told that the only 2008 models would be those late in the planned production run - the exact scenario that has been mentioned here.

In summary, it's my understanding that the original 229 + 30 "VIP" cars is it.

BerryS

This is what I have been saying all along.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:19 AM
frayed
Race Car

Have to agree with Bob and Colm on this one. While I don't have an RS coming (at least today), and I'll complain that *I* didn't get one, I don't think PAG actually should bump production on either the RS or the 3.

I've watched the RS rumor mill with interest (VIP cars, 08 production, 07 production holdback allocations, etc). I've talked to two people who have a batfone into PCNA (I know, third hand). While I stand to benefit from increased numbers, I don't think it's a good idea based on history (996 GT3 sales) and recent history (people backing out of their 997 GT3s then being sold at MSRP). I could be completely wrong, but a bump in production would be a tightrope, that is, increase numbers by 5% and satisify current demand, then at 7% cars sit and get sold under MSRP.

These are highly specialized cars, savored by so few.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:44 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know what the total worldwide production number is for the RS?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:59 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Many of the folks I know at PCNA will be at the 12 Hour down at Sebring this weekend. I want to hear from them directly on this... I'll let you know what they have to say.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:20 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the main problem with the 2004 - 2005 North America 996 GT3 production quantity (less than a 1000 units) is that Porsche AG allows PCNA dealers to speculate and order cars without customers. I think they do themselves in by specing lots of cosmetic junk on the GT3 then gambling that it will sell (they make good money on all those options).

When you get the Porsche factory tour at Zuffenhausen they love to brag that all the cars are built to cutomer order, they don't come clean on the PCNA process.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:23 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Z06 had a great idea, why cant they just fill the orders for one year? That makes sense instead of the unobtanium policy they have now
Old 03-14-2007, 02:36 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Z06 had a great idea, why cant they just fill the orders for one year? That makes sense instead of the unobtanium policy they have now
Probably because the numbers work out to the same thing, as has been demonstrated time and again, a large # of people chasing this car would have no interest in it if it were available (ironic I know).

If there were more cars availabe many of the purported buyers would be sitting around, hoping to pick one up at a 30% discount (like the 996 GT3). The Dealers would be crying to PCNA, and hopes for future RS cars would be dashed becuase the last ones hadn't sold.

Instead, you have greedy Dealers trying to outsmart PCNA and greedy customers trying to outsmart Dealers. Welcome to Capitalism! And hopefuly the "myth" of the RS will endure throughout it all.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Splitting hairs here but re-sale affects purchasing behavior relative to new product.
True, but if Porsche cared about re-sale, they wouldn't have put the 3.4 motor into the Boxster a year and a half after the 987 was introduced (and selling extremely well), and a year after the more expensive Cayman S was marketed as such primarily because of its (no longer) more powerful motor.

...my voodoo calculus would net PAG maybe an add'l $7-$10mm... not the stuff of torch wielding villagers/stockholder uprising considering P's larger financial position.
True again, but then why are they offering the RS with options such as navigation and illuminated door sills, and at the last minute offered more color choices, unless they are trying to maximize sales/profit on this model?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:50 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What percentage of the RS' are leased.

Paul,

When I purchased my GT3RS last Saturday, I was told that Porsche Credit will not lease the RS because it is considered a 'race car'! Mags
Old 03-14-2007, 03:14 PM
A430v
Racer

’05 GT3 (sold), ’06 M5 (sold), ’06 M Roadster (FOR SALE)
You must be the Porsche’s real reason.
M5 was crap...as a daily driver in LA traffic. If I lived in Germany with the Autobahn, it would be a different story. 996 GT3 gone in anticipation of RS (May production).

Honestly, I could care less about the numbers. You buy the cars to enjoy them, the re-sale is a bonus. A car is a depreciating asset (aside from Ferraris ). Yes, you might say I'm not complaining because I managed to secure an allocation for an RS, but on the flip side, there's a CGT in the family too (not mine). We knew the production #s were high, we knew re-sale would tank (at least in the short-term), but that didn't stop us from custom ordering the car and frankly, the CGT won't be sold anytime soon. You win some, you lose some. Took a big hit on the M5, but did rather well with the 996 GT3. So there you have it...

Quick Reply: Supposedly the latest word on RS '08 production